Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Panasonic Villager II Front freewheel crank wobbling

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 09:28 AM
Sinus7158

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I have an old Panasonic Villager II and the front freewheel crank started wobbling suddenly when freewheeling a few days ago. I looked very carefully but was not able to identify the cause of the problem. Any idea of what I shouls do? Thank you.
Old 09-03-21, 10:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
1 piece crank on that or 3 piece? FFS came in both types. Being a Panasonic I'd guess 3 piece.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-crankset.html
Old 09-03-21, 10:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
You need to separate the chainring rotation, on the crank axle from that of the crank axle in the frame shell as you look at the system. It's very possible that the BB axle/shell bearings only need servicing (clean, lube and adjust.) (Which, BTW, should be done every few years or few thousand miles). It's possible that the rings' bearings WRT the rest of the crankset, are wearing and need work. Do understand that these parts have not been made for many years and if need replacement might prove to be hard to find (and buying an old bike with the same parts for spares is not wrong). Should it become needed to replace the entire crankset/rings with a more common Non FFS version you can but also replace the freewheel (and thus chain too) so you can retain the ability to coast. Andy
Old 09-03-21, 04:56 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Should it become needed to replace the entire crankset/rings with a more common Non FFS version you can but also replace the freewheel (and thus chain too) so you can retain the ability to coast. Andy
So is that the poor man's fixed gear conversion?
Old 09-03-21, 05:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
So is that the poor man's fixed gear conversion?
No...Oh it's a joke

Really the FFS freewheel has a high threshold of "reverse chain tension" before it's individual cogs will, sort of, freewheel on the core. This is Shimano's safety as a default design so no one who is tor clipped in will break an ankle. But the amount of chain wrap up before this cog slippage happens is quite high and can be disconcerting for the unaware. If one removes the freely (pun) coasting FFS crank then one really should also replace the FFS (non)freewheeling cog set. Andy (who has done this more then a few times on repairs over the decades)
Old 09-03-21, 06:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
No...Oh it's a joke
I've worked on a couple, but until your post it didn't occur to me about losing the ability to "coast" if you changed the crank. Granted if you keep your feet on the pedals my experience was the resistance of the FW wasn't that strong but the backup of the chain until it overcomes the friction could cause a WTF moment.