Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Low geared gravel bike

Old 08-30-21, 05:01 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I just saw this 2021 Cinelli touring bike with a triple crankset and a 26t small ring. This version has rim brakes, the disc brake version is geared a bit higher though:

https://www.citygrounds.com/collecti...32185583140975

Also have you looked at any bike shops in the Philippines? Their gravel scene seems big there, with people fabricating/welding their own Surly style corner bars within a week of announcement. I follow the gravel scene there and they seem very knowledgable about mixing and matching components. Also there seems to be quite a bit of customization going on, with lots of unique builds.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 08-31-21, 01:19 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Have a look at Kona Sutra and Cinelli Hotbootleg GEO. They are set for packing packing
they run 11-42 x 36 or deore twin chainring.

I run mine on 11-42x36(eagle range) and get 24gi in 45-622 and 23gi in 50-584. when a current cassette is worn out, I'll go for Shimano SLX 11-46 to get 22gi in 45-622 and go through the wintery muddy rock hills

If you want something below 20, you will need a mullet setup (gravel bike fitted with XC mtb transmission) which is either expensive (see DI2 or etap) or a non standard product.
you would need to run a 11-50 or 11-52 cassette with a 36 or 34 chainring (or lower if you don't need flat speed). there are hacks for Sram where you can mix derailleur parts for eagle GX range (and above) and rival range (and above):
one of them is a cage swap: you have to fit the eagle cage on the rival derailleur.
another one is a cable guide swap: you have to fit the rival cable guide (dictating cable pull ratio) on a eagle derailleur.
These use genuine manufacturer parts but are not manufacturer approved..

Or, you fit a goat link between the frame hanger and derailleur. clever but I am personally worried this could increase the risk of bending the hanger when there is a unwanted collision.

Last edited by Fentuz; 08-31-21 at 03:07 AM.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 09-11-21, 06:51 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Shimano has a few cranksets with 40-30-22 chainrings, eg FC-M2000.
With that that at the front and a wide range rear cassette at the rear, you should get the desired gear ratios.
Likes For anga: