Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Renegade Max Tire Size

Old 09-09-21, 10:21 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Renegade Max Tire Size

I notice on Jamis' website that they say the Carbon Renegades can handle 37 mm tires, but if you scroll down to the build specs, the section under Frame says 40c tires. Anyone with a 2021 C1 or C2 that can confirm what size tire will fit and with how much clearance?

I also notice that for Carbon and Steel/Alloy the tire size becomes 35 mm with fenders, even though the Steel/Alloy can do 50 mm without. What about the fender hacks off that much room?

And semi-related, ride quality of Jamis steel? Recommended? No? Right now eyeing up an S2 that I'd convert to a 2x. I know the saying "Steel is real," but I've never ridden steel (only Alloy). It does look like Jamis steel is a little heavier than other brands, so not sure if that is a good or bad thing? I know tires do a lot, but this is more for when I throw some 28 mm slick on there for road rides vs. fatter tires for gravel/bikepacking. I do notice is has a carbon seatpost, though, so I'm sure that will help some. (Also eyeing up Topstone 1 and Checkpoint ALR5)

Last edited by am0n; 09-09-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-09-21, 10:42 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Can't help you on the tire size, but as for ride quality I've been happy with my 2018 Renegade Exploit (steel frame, 105-level components, not sure which current model is closest). It is not light, but I've taken it on 75 mile road rides with 32mm slicks and had no complaints nor trouble keeping up with my friends on lighter road bikes.
Old 09-09-21, 02:34 PM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
I notice on Jamis' website that they say the Carbon Renegades can handle 37 mm tires, but if you scroll down to the build specs, the section under Frame says 40c tires. Anyone with a 2021 C1 or C2 that can confirm what size tire will fit and with how much clearance?

I also notice that for Carbon and Steel/Alloy the tire size becomes 35 mm with fenders, even though the Steel/Alloy can do 50 mm without. What about the fender hacks off that much room?

And semi-related, ride quality of Jamis steel? Recommended? No? Right now eyeing up an S2 that I'd convert to a 2x. I know the saying "Steel is real," but I've never ridden steel (only Alloy). It does look like Jamis steel is a little heavier than other brands, so not sure if that is a good or bad thing? I know tires do a lot, but this is more for when I throw some 28 mm slick on there for road rides vs. fatter tires for gravel/bikepacking. I do notice is has a carbon seatpost, though, so I'm sure that will help some. (Also eyeing up Topstone 1 and Checkpoint ALR5)

I have 2020 Renegade C2 Gray/Blue/White/Black, which is exactly the same frame as 2021 C2. They didn't update that carbon frame for some time. Bike came with 40's. 40's will fit but that's about it. There isn't much space with 40's. Now I have 35's on it and its a good balance for everything that I ride. Work fine with 43mm Planet Bike fenders. 2021's comes with 37c tires which are more reasonable for that frame. I always thought 40's was pushing it. Bike rides nice and I like it. Its not super light or anything but of course much lighter than steel Renegade by like 5 lbs.

I also had 2020 Renegade Expat Gray on which I had 43's. and there was even more space to fit maybe 45's. I know you can do 650's on that frame as well. Never had fenders on steel model so I'm not sure as far as whats the biggest tire with fenders, but I think you could do 38's with fenders. Jamis steel was pretty heavy. Once I installed pedals, under seat bag with tools, bottle cages, etc, it was like 27 28 lbs. Steel rides nice but you might have to put more effort if you are used to riding lighter bikes. At the same time, the steel model wasn't made to be fast or light. It was made for casual riding and it had plenty mounts and space for bigger tires if you go bikepacking. Decent bike for gravel. Now if you want to throw some smaller tires and still have ability to put some larger tires, then I would probably go with Topstone 1 or Checkpoint. These bikes will be lighter than steel and would suit you better if you are looking for that balance between road/gravel.
Old 09-10-21, 05:38 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by bh85
I have 2020 Renegade C2 Gray/Blue/White/Black, which is exactly the same frame as 2021 C2. They didn't update that carbon frame for some time. Bike came with 40's. 40's will fit but that's about it. There isn't much space with 40's. Now I have 35's on it and its a good balance for everything that I ride. Work fine with 43mm Planet Bike fenders. 2021's comes with 37c tires which are more reasonable for that frame. I always thought 40's was pushing it. Bike rides nice and I like it. Its not super light or anything but of course much lighter than steel Renegade by like 5 lbs.

I also had 2020 Renegade Expat Gray on which I had 43's. and there was even more space to fit maybe 45's. I know you can do 650's on that frame as well. Never had fenders on steel model so I'm not sure as far as whats the biggest tire with fenders, but I think you could do 38's with fenders. Jamis steel was pretty heavy. Once I installed pedals, under seat bag with tools, bottle cages, etc, it was like 27 28 lbs. Steel rides nice but you might have to put more effort if you are used to riding lighter bikes. At the same time, the steel model wasn't made to be fast or light. It was made for casual riding and it had plenty mounts and space for bigger tires if you go bikepacking. Decent bike for gravel. Now if you want to throw some smaller tires and still have ability to put some larger tires, then I would probably go with Topstone 1 or Checkpoint. These bikes will be lighter than steel and would suit you better if you are looking for that balance between road/gravel.
Thanks for your answers. I'm not a weight weenie, but that was a concern. My current road bike is alloy and is probably 22ish lb., maybe a little more. My hope was for something in that ballpark when I put on road wheels but with the capability (and durability) to handle fatter tires for gravel/bikepacking. Sounds like the Renegade might not be that bike, unfortunately. Good price, though.
Old 09-11-21, 03:37 AM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanks for your answers. I'm not a weight weenie, but that was a concern. My current road bike is alloy and is probably 22ish lb., maybe a little more. My hope was for something in that ballpark when I put on road wheels but with the capability (and durability) to handle fatter tires for gravel/bikepacking. Sounds like the Renegade might not be that bike, unfortunately. Good price, though.
The 2x S1 Renegade I built up this year was right at 22 pounds with a mixed groupset. 105 hydraulic levers, 105 FD, Ultegra RX RD, Ultegra 11-34, FSA Gossamer 48/32 crank, Spinery GX wheels, 43c GravelKings, carbon seatpost, and a reasonably weighted saddle, alloy stem, and alloy bars. It's more like 23.5 pounds now though with aerobars and 42c Pathfinder Pro tires, but that setup is faster.

Ride quality is what I would call muted, and very comfortable. You're just not going to get the more lively / springy feel of good older steel bikes on contemporary factory frames because the tubing has to be thicker to support the weight of litigation. Nevertheless, I think the steel Renegade is as good as any other factory steel bike in quality, and all the details. You could only do better with a handmade steel bike to your specifications, with tubing selected by a builder that really knows what will work best.
Old 09-12-21, 04:11 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Great bike and very hard to beat for the price. I think generally 40 is the practical limit with most tires. Most fenders take up clearance space and cake more mud underneath so that limits tire clearance quite a bit. Try the speed rockets for a fender that does not affect frame clearance. Excellent bike for the price and if you can find one grab it!
Old 09-13-21, 07:37 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by zen_
The 2x S1 Renegade I built up this year was right at 22 pounds with a mixed groupset. 105 hydraulic levers, 105 FD, Ultegra RX RD, Ultegra 11-34, FSA Gossamer 48/32 crank, Spinery GX wheels, 43c GravelKings, carbon seatpost, and a reasonably weighted saddle, alloy stem, and alloy bars. It's more like 23.5 pounds now though with aerobars and 42c Pathfinder Pro tires, but that setup is faster.

Ride quality is what I would call muted, and very comfortable. You're just not going to get the more lively / springy feel of good older steel bikes on contemporary factory frames because the tubing has to be thicker to support the weight of litigation. Nevertheless, I think the steel Renegade is as good as any other factory steel bike in quality, and all the details. You could only do better with a handmade steel bike to your specifications, with tubing selected by a builder that really knows what will work best.
Thanks. What size? I'd likely just stick with the S2 (stock or change it to a 2x). Probably stick with the stock wheels to start, but get a set of Zipp 303s for a road setup if I do that. If it was only about a pound heavier with my road wheels, that'd be fine, but if it like 3-5 lb. heavier, that might be more than what I am looking for.

Last edited by am0n; 09-13-21 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-13-21, 07:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
For some perspective- the claimed weight of a 631 steel Jamis Renegade frame is not much more than similar offerings from other brands. It weighs less than Bombtrack's steel gravel frame, a touch more than Fairlight's steel gravel frame, etc. Its right there in the middle of the steel frame options I have looked into. The Jamis fork is for sure not the lightest. Compared to Fairlight for example, the Renegade frame is listed at about 80g heavier and fork is 90g heavier. So 6oz heavier. Again though, the Renegade is lighter than Bombtrack, a bit heavier than All City Cosmic Stallion, lighter than Surly, and lighter than Niner RLT(they line it with lead, I think).
Its solidly right in the middle of quality production steel frames.

The frameset used to be a steal at $850. Just screaming steal. Its listed at $1000 now and thats still quite good. When I built up my current gravel bike a couple years ago, I heavily considered a Renegate frameset. The geometry was slightly not what I wanted, but it could have worked. They changed the geometry a bit and its now right at what I would want for geometry. Tire clearance at 40 is less than awesome. Most everyone they are competing with is 42-45mm and many handle 45 easily.

No 2x11 in steel is lame. But there is always the frame or swapping out components to make it what you want.
Old 09-13-21, 08:14 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For some perspective- the claimed weight of a 631 steel Jamis Renegade frame is not much more than similar offerings from other brands. It weighs less than Bombtrack's steel gravel frame, a touch more than Fairlight's steel gravel frame, etc. Its right there in the middle of the steel frame options I have looked into. The Jamis fork is for sure not the lightest. Compared to Fairlight for example, the Renegade frame is listed at about 80g heavier and fork is 90g heavier. So 6oz heavier. Again though, the Renegade is lighter than Bombtrack, a bit heavier than All City Cosmic Stallion, lighter than Surly, and lighter than Niner RLT(they line it with lead, I think).
Its solidly right in the middle of quality production steel frames.

The frameset used to be a steal at $850. Just screaming steal. Its listed at $1000 now and thats still quite good. When I built up my current gravel bike a couple years ago, I heavily considered a Renegate frameset. The geometry was slightly not what I wanted, but it could have worked. They changed the geometry a bit and its now right at what I would want for geometry. Tire clearance at 40 is less than awesome. Most everyone they are competing with is 42-45mm and many handle 45 easily.

No 2x11 in steel is lame. But there is always the frame or swapping out components to make it what you want.
The Steel can handle 50 mm tires. The Carbon is limited to 37 mm. Both are limited to 35 mm with a rack, it says, though. And I agree. If they had an S1 or something with a 2x11, I'd be all on it probably.

I guess, from your experience, how does it compare to Alloy gravel bikes in a comparable price range? I know Alloy should be lighter, but by how much would you think?
Old 09-13-21, 08:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
The Steel can handle 50 mm tires. The Carbon is limited to 37 mm. Both are limited to 35 mm with a rack, it says, though. And I agree. If they had an S1 or something with a 2x11, I'd be all on it probably.

I guess, from your experience, how does it compare to Alloy gravel bikes in a comparable price range? I know Alloy should be lighter, but by how much would you think?
woah- 50mm? I missed that. Yeah, that's a really enticing blend of geometry, versatility, and price.

As for aluminum weight, I've read 1500-1800g for gravel frame weights at the M/L size. Canyon grail is 1560ish and Cannondale Topstone is 1800ish.

So 400-600g less than the Renegade. Thats 14oz-21oz less.
Old 09-13-21, 11:21 AM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanks. What size? I'd likely just stick with the S2 (stock or change it to a 2x). Probably stick with the stock wheels to start, but get a set of Zipp 303s for a road setup if I do that. If it was only about a pound heavier with my road wheels, that'd be fine, but if it like 3-5 lb. heavier, that might be more than what I am looking for.
I have a 54cm. The 56cm frame is 2.2kg, while carbon frames are generally in the 1.2-1.4kg range, and an alloy is somewhere roughly in the middle between those numbers. If you're racing that weight matters, if not, most people tend to put way too much emphasis on gram counting the bike when they are carrying around a bunch of other unnecessary stuff and bags on their gravel bike and / or not considering the rider weight.
Old 09-14-21, 10:40 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by zen_
I have a 54cm. The 56cm frame is 2.2kg, while carbon frames are generally in the 1.2-1.4kg range, and an alloy is somewhere roughly in the middle between those numbers. If you're racing that weight matters, if not, most people tend to put way too much emphasis on gram counting the bike when they are carrying around a bunch of other unnecessary stuff and bags on their gravel bike and / or not considering the rider weight.
Oh, for sure. I can still afford a kilo off my mid section. That said, if it's a small weight difference, I won't care much, but a large difference kind of changes what I am hoping for, which is a bike that can do double duty: gravel bike with bigger tires and a road bike with smaller... but for it to fit that second one, it should be at least comparable to my current.

That said, while Cdale doesn't list on their website, REI has the Topstone 1 at 22.6ish lb. in the "median" frame. That is a 2x, vs. the S2 (1x) at 23.5 lb. Rough estimates are a 2x is about 250 g (so ~0.5 lb) heavier, so 24 vs. 22.6 lb. That's probably not enough I'd care too much if my assumptions are close. That 1.4 lb. is pretty close to what mstate suggested as well.
Old 09-17-21, 02:08 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YMMV but I rode a buddies carbon Renegade last night that had 42s on it, just FYI.