Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are road and TT bikes so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are road and TT bikes so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 01:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by UnderDawgAl
. No regulations can prevent greed.
And here it is.

People have been manipulating markets since there were markets. People have been cheating and scheming ever since there were rules to break. Some people are just bad people---short-sighted and selfish and willing to hurt any number of others to get a little for themselves.

The whole point of "Regulation" is to prevent people from cheating .... but there will always be ways to cheat. Regulations have to be enforced, and once the regulators are crooked .....

Bikes cost so much because we keep buying them. You want prices to come down? Ride your old bikes, only buy used, and in a few years prices might drop.
Old 09-19-20, 02:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
And here it is.

People have been manipulating markets since there were markets. People have been cheating and scheming ever since there were rules to break. Some people are just bad people---short-sighted and selfish and willing to hurt any number of others to get a little for themselves.

The whole point of "Regulation" is to prevent people from cheating .... but there will always be ways to cheat. Regulations have to be enforced, and once the regulators are crooked .....

Bikes cost so much because we keep buying them. You want prices to come down? Ride your old bikes, only buy used, and in a few years prices might drop.
(I kind of feel like I established above that bikes don't really cost that much more than they did 25 years ago, but a market has expanded at the top for Really Expensive Bikes. Just because Ferraris and Lamborghinis exist doesn't make Toyotas more expensive.)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-19-20, 02:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
And here it is.

One of the biggest problems with regulations, is that they generally favor the larger business that can afford to comply. So instead of helping, they hurt, causing the smaller competitors to not be able to compete, and go out of business. The larger business then has fewer competitors, so prices do not go down.
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-19-20, 02:25 PM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I wonder if bike prices have outpaced inflation. In 1989, I paid, as I recall, full MSRP of $289 for a Giant Perigee road bike, with 2x7 gearing. I believe it was Giant's cheapest road bike. According to the inflation calculator available at the BLS website, that price equates to $606 today. Do any of the big brands sell an entry-level road bike for only $600? I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I'll have to look around to see what Giant's cheapest road bike costs today.

Last edited by UnderDawgAl; 09-19-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 03:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by UnderDawgAl
I wonder if bike prices have outpaced inflation. In 1989, I paid, as I recall, full MSRP of $289 for a Giant Perigee road bike, with 2x7 gearing. I believe it was Giant's cheapest road bike. According to the inflation calculator available at the BLS website, that price equates to $606 today. Do any of the big brands sell an entry-level road bike for only $600? I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I'll have to look around to see what Giant's cheapest road bike costs today.
Close enough.

Old 09-19-20, 03:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Everything I'm finding online says the Giant Perigee was introduced in 1994 at $370, which comes to $648 in 2020 dollars. The lowest priced Giant bike today, the Contend 3 I linked to, lists for $680.

Old 09-19-20, 05:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by genejockey
Everything I'm finding online says the Giant Perigee was introduced in 1994 at $370, which comes to $648 in 2020 dollars. The lowest priced Giant bike today, the Contend 3 I linked to, lists for $680.
Why didn't you post this at the Start iof this thread? We could have saved so many pages of this crap merely by saying, "They aren't. See @genejockey's post."
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-19-20, 05:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Why didn't you post this at the Start iof this thread? We could have saved so many pages of this crap merely by saying, "They aren't. See @genejockey's post."
These things can't be rushed.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-19-20, 05:37 PM
UnderDawgAl

You're right about the 1994 date as far as is easily discoverable on the internet. So you will need to dig a little deeper. You can find posts and images of the 1989-1991 models around. I had a teal green one that I bought in 1989 to carry to college. I sold it to a friend in 1992, from whom it was stolen later that same year. Bikepedia or whatever it's called only shows models from 1994 onward. Even so, they were sold as early as 1989. I really wanted a Giant Allegre (or Allegro -- I can't remember exactly. I had a catalog back then), but it was out of my price league.

Thanks for pointing out the Contend. If the cheapest Giant would have been significantly more expensive than $606, I was going to call for legislation and over-regulation to stifle that Free Market bike company! 😆. Just kidding of course.

Edited to add one I found: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-perigee.html

Last edited by UnderDawgAl; 09-19-20 at 05:39 PM. Reason: To update with link
Old 09-19-20, 05:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
The argument would then be about whether a 5% (inflation adjusted) increase over 26 years was excessive or not.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-19-20, 05:42 PM
UnderDawgAl

Here is another one.

https://www.bikeforums.net/triathlon...-duathlon.html
Old 09-19-20, 05:57 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
You need to separate the cost plus R&D that goes into making a bike and its final retail selling price. Those two are not related at all !

The first cost is set for you as manufacturer and the second, the retail sticker you put on it, you make it as high as you believe you can sell it for in sufficient numbers to make at least the minimum profit rate you set for your business, but really you aim for profit as high as you can make and sky is the limit if you can swing it.

If then you can sell your bikes for double or triple or whatever more than what it cost you to make them, good for you. Point is, nobody is setting his retail price by what it cost him to bring it to market plus some profit usual for that market segment. You set it as high as you think/believe you can sell it for. For every goods, there is a certain limit in people's minds what they would be willing to spend on given product range and normally you need to fit your expectations to it.

But if you were a genius and managed to make high end bikes for a third of the cost of everybody else, why should your set your retail price sticker proportionally down by two thirds... Your bikes would be overpriced even if you undercut others in the business by some margin to sell your bikes like hot cakes, but why should you sell for less than what you can get? Just so you could do good for the folks out there?
Well, look at it from the other side, if you fail to make any profits, will the public be willing to come to your rescue and buy your bikes so you don't go out of business? Dream on. It is - make for as little you can make it and sell for as much as you can get for it.

As I wrote at the start, those two costs are not related, or only in as much that you want to be able to sell at least for what it cost you to make it, so you don't make a loss.

When I was growing up, I read in a book for kids a free market lesson , how little Joe at a yearly town fair asks a seller of some 'sweet nothing' what it costs and the old guy asks Joe, how much did your mother give you along to spend? Joe replies, five cents and the seller of the sweets retorts "it costs five cents".
It was meant for old days, when five cents for that would be way overpriced, robbery indeed. Nowadays, the price levels are of course somewhere else.

Last edited by vane171; 09-19-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 06:47 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Thanks, Captain Hindsight! A lot of these were smart people being worked on by predatory lenders whose incentives were to get the deal to close whether it made sense or not, and they would convince the buyers of pie in the sky scenarios. People without any finance background were being told by "experts" that they could expect for things to work out. it was deliberate deception by people who got a commission at closing whether or not the mortgage ever got paid. Perhaps the consumers should have known better, but there were literally millions of them. What you're missing is that the logic works out to be profitable if the value keeps increasing infinitely, the bubble part becomes obvious only when that inflation stops. Maybe you're not old enough to remember this, but the notion of profitable flipping was being hyped by trained professionals throughout the popular media as well.

You do realize that several banks collapsed based on this logic, right? Are you arguing that all of the blame for that should go on the consumers? No one was forcing the banks to make the stupidest loans possible.
I was pointing out people made their decisions. Never blamed consumers for the overall mess and not sure how you deduced that. They are responsible for their own mess. A lot of people and financial institutions avoided the mess.

Last edited by u235; 09-19-20 at 06:57 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 09-19-20, 07:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by u235
I was pointing out people made their decisions. Never blamed consumers for the overall mess and not sure how you deduced that. They are responsible for their own mess. A lot of people and financial institutions avoided the mess.
A lot of people who weren't involved in any other way than being part of the economy took a major hit. Many lost jobs - 800,000 a month for a while - and a lot of people lost savings, and the whole economy dropped for years, and most people did nothing to cause it.

Note also this was a worldwide phenomenon - the housing/building/mortgage boom - which makes it even harder to sell the idea that a law passed 30 years prior, and two Senators and a Congressman who were in the minority for over a decade caused it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-19-20, 07:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Am I on Bike forums?

Sure looks like it.

And where's the Cup o'Noodles topic?
Old 09-19-20, 07:51 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by GlennR
... where's the Cup o'Noodles topic?
More importantly, why are Cup o' Noodles so expensive?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-19-20, 07:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
More importantly, why are Cup o' Noodles so expensive?
Especially when you can pick up ramen at Safeway for as low as 10 cents a package. "Amortizing the R&D costs" won't cut it.

Old 09-19-20, 07:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Especially when you can pick up ramen at Safeway for as low as 10 cents a package. "Amortizing the R&D costs" won't cut it.
It's the day traders.
Old 09-19-20, 07:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It's the day traders.
Noodle Backed Securities.

Old 09-19-20, 08:00 PM
tomato coupe

My only qualm with Cup o' Noodles is that they're really only affordable with financing.
Old 09-19-20, 08:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Can you get a good rate when you're likely to consume the collateral?

Old 09-19-20, 08:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Can you get a good rate when you're likely to consume the collateral?
You can give it back when you're done with it.
Old 09-19-20, 08:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You can give it back when you're done with it.
Now you have me thinking of the vacation planet of Bethselamin, in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

For years, the fabulously beautiful planet of Bethselamin increased its booming tourist industry without any worries at all. Alas, as is often the case, this was an act of utter stupidity, as it led to a colossal cumulative erosion problem. Of course, what else could one expect with ten billion tourists per annum? Thus today the net balance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave; so every time you go to the lavatory there, it is vitally important to get a receipt.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-19-20, 08:51 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by vane171
.... if you fail to make any profits, will the public be willing to come to your rescue and buy your bikes so you don't go out of business? .
A reference to the Rivendell thread?
Old 09-19-20, 08:53 PM
Maelochs

A lot of people who weren't involved in any other way than being part of the economy took a major hit. Many lost jobs - 800,000 a month for a while - and a lot of people lost savings, and the whole economy dropped for years, and most people did nothing to cause it.

Note also this was a worldwide phenomenon - the housing/building/mortgage boom - which makes it even harder to sell the idea that a law passed 30 years prior, and two Senators and a Congressman who were in the minority for over a decade caused it.
Iceland was the first nation to get hit in fact .... the CDO phenomenon swept across global markets ....

But I don't want to support the use of facts here .... this thread was just starting to get good ....
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.