Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which frameset?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which frameset?

Old 11-28-20, 11:22 AM
milton banana

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which frameset?

I promised myself a new bike for my 60th birthday. I'm going to build exactly what I want. Two different frameset's have presented themselves at a price that I'm having difficultly resisting. A Parlee Ultum and a Look 795 Blade RS. Which would you go with and why?
Old 11-28-20, 12:20 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges. The parlee is a tall stack, short reach endurance frame and the 795 is an aero race frame with proprietary stem and seat post.
Old 11-28-20, 01:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Since the Look seems to only show 1 frame size and the Parlee has an XLT size that would fit, so I'll go with the Parlee.

Frankly I can't imagine purchasing a frameset that costs $4000 or $5500, but I guess if these are the only 2 to choose from, its the $5500 option.

For you- I would choose the frameset that most closely mimics your current bike's geometry, or is different in whatever way(s) you want.
Old 11-28-20, 04:03 PM
DaveSSS 

The LOOK 795 comes in 5 sizes. https://www.lookcycle.com/cz-en/prod...c-white-glossy

https://www.wrenchscience.com/road/f...AaAngyEALw_wcB
Old 11-28-20, 05:21 PM
milton banana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been on a Cannondale Synapse 58cm for the last 10 years and really like it. I understand this is not a racing frame. The more comfortable upright position is something I like. But, the Look could be configured to reproduce that right? Both frames are from a LBS and are new/old/ blem deals. The Look they want 2,000 and the Parlee 1,300. Cost wise its a wash. The Parlee is disc brakes which the build group will cost more. The Look I can get on with rim brakes so the build group will be less.

Last edited by milton banana; 11-28-20 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-28-20, 06:25 PM
milton banana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Further research has me disqualifying the Look RS Blade. Proprietary stem and seat post just puts it to be too expensive. However, they do have a Huez 785 for the same price.
Old 11-28-20, 06:59 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
that Parlee looks super boring definitely not a dream bike material
Old 11-28-20, 07:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Ha, thanks for confirming its on the site. I didnt realize the size needed to be selected for geometry to display.
Good lord- simple overlook.

Seeing the largest size, that frame is anything but relaxed.
Old 11-28-20, 09:34 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
If you're looking for a dream bike on a budget check out R&A cycles and their road clearance section. Until the Museeuw I bought for 200 popped up I nearly dropped 800 on a derosa, I'd have liked the DeRosa better but it wasn't the one I really want and I plan to replace the road bike within 2 years for something with all new parts. The pandemic has taken a toll on their clearance selection but still nice by any standard.
Old 11-29-20, 08:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by milton banana
Further research has me disqualifying the Look RS Blade. Proprietary stem and seat post just puts it to be too expensive. However, they do have a Huez 785 for the same price.
There are two versions of the 785. The lighter 785 RS frame costs about twice as much as the standard model. A retail price on the standard 785 should be under 2k, but it's not sold as a frame only. The 785 is a very well built frame.

I tried to find a well priced 785 over 2 years ago, but could only find complete bikes that were no bargain. Ebay had quite a few recently. Bike exchange is where I found one of my bargain Colnago frames.

My latest bargain frames are Cinelli superstar disc that I got for just over $1000 from nashbar with free shipping and no sales tax. Great frames for the money, but all gone now.