Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is 29x3 a dead tire size?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-27-21, 06:06 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts

It seems that the market has largely moved on from 29ers, especially 'plus' sizing of 29x3 a la Surly Krampus.

I happen to need to replace my Krampus tires, and looking around for a good deal, there is very little selection. Lots to be had in 27.5 x 2.8" though.

Any thoughts?

And any thoughts on these cheap options?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194227991194

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20357701620...0AAOSwLpZhIqeY
Old 08-27-21, 07:35 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I agree, it's disappointing that the number of tire models available in 29 x 3 has drastically decreased. With supply chain problems in mind (difficult to get much of anything at the moment), it is good to see that Surly (who introduced 29+) is still offering 29 x 3 tires in both the Knard and Dirt Wizard. The Maxxis Minion offerings are, by far, the best 29 x 3 tires ever, IMO, and they have not been discontinued (at the moment, anyway), although actually getting them has been tough for a long time. Hopefully they will become widely available again. The 29 x 2.8 Teravail Coronado is still very much available, but I wish it was a full 3" width.....I've used all of the tires I mentioned above extensively on my first-gen Krampus, and I do love the 29+ platform-

Btw, 29+ aside, 29ers are here to stay, the market has certainly not moved on from 29ers in general (not sure if that's what you meant). As is the case with any mtb wheel diameter these days, tires have generally gotten fatter, not skinnier. So, while a 29 x 2.3-2.6 tire is considered a regular ol' 29er these days on many new bikes, that width range would have been rare just a few years ago.
Old 08-27-21, 08:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Thoughts on the Origin8 Tsunami 29x3 and Chaoyang folding 29x3, linked above? Is the Chaoyang a clone of any tread pattern you recognize?
Old 08-27-21, 08:43 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Haven't used either of those, or anything really similar in 29plus, but Origin8 is usually decent quality, a value brand owned by JBI. If you need tires, I'd go for those if the tread pattern looks like it would work for you. I imagine you're running tubeless, depending on the tire I run anywhere from 10psi to 14psi in 29 x 3 (tubeless), fwiw.
Old 08-27-21, 09:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Bigger is not always better...

As an amateur sometimes historian on bike stuff I frequently think about the hundred+ years of the "safety" bike's existence and that thousands on thousands of smarter then I people have already thought about and tried stuff decades ago, that we rehash as new.

For many riders a 29x3 bike is just too big, a lot of rotational weight and, for smaller bikes, challenged geometry and fit. Andy
Old 08-27-21, 11:06 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by well biked
Haven't used either of those, or anything really similar in 29plus, but Origin8 is usually decent quality, a value brand owned by JBI. If you need tires, I'd go for those if the tread pattern looks like it would work for you. I imagine you're running tubeless, depending on the tire I run anywhere from 10psi to 14psi in 29 x 3 (tubeless), fwiw.
Maybe given increasing scarcity of 29x3 tires I should buy a pair of each, have my next replacements ready. It's very dry and hard around here, not sure which of those treads look better for that.
Old 08-27-21, 11:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Bigger is not always better...

As an amateur sometimes historian on bike stuff I frequently think about the hundred+ years of the "safety" bike's existence and that thousands on thousands of smarter then I people have already thought about and tried stuff decades ago, that we rehash as new.

For many riders a 29x3 bike is just too big, a lot of rotational weight and, for smaller bikes, challenged geometry and fit. Andy
I agree, 'for many riders'. For shorter riders I think they should scale the frame down to take 27.5x3 or even 26x3. Also fully-rigid frames are not for everybody. But it's great for me, I love my Krampus mucho, and maybe after 5-10 more years on my original green one I'd like to upgrade to a newer version with thru-axles and other frame improvements.
Old 08-27-21, 11:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

This is a very informative video. And look at all the comments from people that love their 29x3 just the way God made them!

Likes For RubeRad:
Old 08-27-21, 11:13 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Also, I just learned that Krampus is now sold WITH A SUSPENSION FORK! (rigid fork still available in color 'first loser'=white) And 29x2.6 tires stock on both!
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/krampus

Same deal for Karate Monkey
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey

What even is the difference between Krampus and KM anyways? Even the prices are the same
Old 08-27-21, 11:58 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Also, I just learned that Krampus is now sold WITH A SUSPENSION FORK! (rigid fork still available in color 'first loser'=white) And 29x2.6 tires stock on both!
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/krampus

Same deal for Karate Monkey
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey

What even is the difference between Krampus and KM anyways? Even the prices are the same
Apparently the Karate Monkey is 27.5+ now, and the Krampus is 29+. Kinda interesting as the KM was Surly's original 29" bike. Although a lot of stuff is being advertised as 27.5+/29 compatible these days.
Old 08-28-21, 12:50 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Ah I see, they're selling Krampus stock as 29 and KM stock as 27.5, but advertising (in Surly style) the flexibility to go either way
Old 08-28-21, 01:41 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The Krampus has always had more tire clearance than the KM.
Old 09-13-21, 06:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I got a pair of the Chaoyang Big Daddy. Good price, $75 for the pair, delivered. But these suckers will NOT seal up tubeless. I use ghetto (split-tube), which has always been easy for me before, presumably because the thickeness of that split tube in there. But amount of pulling the bead toward the rim, or stuffing zipties under the split tube to force it against the tire, or blasting with air compressor, was able to even make the tire pulsate.

Giving up for now, and resorting to tubes. Which I have to order. You think for 29x3 I can get away with tubes listed as 29x2.4-2.8?

I'm hoping after like 50 miles of riding with tubes the tires will be broken in and cornformed sufficiently to the rims that I can try again with the tubeless.
Old 09-13-21, 06:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I don't really understand the logic to a 29x3, the tires are always absurdly heavy, the rims are typically wider and heavier as a result and if it uses tubes they're heavier as well. Switching to 29" turned out to make a lot of sense and I think its a great size. My wife's bike has 2.9 tires and she struggles with the size and I know a bunch of the weight are those tires. This winter I'll probably switch her out to 2.25 so she can roll faster.
Old 09-14-21, 02:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Don't feel bad. I have a Jamis Dragonslayer Pro 26+. There's hardly any 26x3's out there. But IMO it's the perfect tire size, not sure why it never caught on. It makes my sandy trails feel like hard packed dirt but it still handles great with the same diameter of a regular 27.5. The diameter of a 29+ would be way too big for me, especially in tight stuff.
Old 09-19-21, 05:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Got some tubes and finally was able to take the Chaoyang Big Daddy's out for a ride. I liked the tires, but I think maybe they are not compatible with my crank:

Old 09-19-21, 06:17 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Got some tubes and finally was able to take the Chaoyang Big Daddy's out for a ride. I liked the tires, but I think maybe they are not compatible with my crank:
That's why it's a dead tire size - too hard on cranks.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-19-21, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I saw a total of 11 tires in 29x2.8-3.0 on QBP from good sources Maxxis, Surly, Teravail and WTB, as well as one from Vee Tire. I am sure there are other quality sources for tires as well.
Old 09-19-21, 09:33 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

How do you search QBP? When I go to the site it asks for a login to search the catalog.

And 29x2.8 is kind of cheating, although I expect I'll have to settle for that eventually.
Old 09-19-21, 10:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
How do you search QBP? When I go to the site it asks for a login to search the catalog.

And 29x2.8 is kind of cheating, although I expect I'll have to settle for that eventually.
Yet another reason to support your LBS.
Your favorite professional bike mechanic has the necessary credentials.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-20-21, 12:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Ah I see, they're selling Krampus stock as 29 and KM stock as 27.5, but advertising (in Surly style) the flexibility to go either way
The Krampus tires are 2.6 with the suspension fork OR 3.0 for the rigid. The KM gets 27.5x2.8 on the suspension fork and 27.5x3 on the rigid. All Dirt Wizards.

According to a recent post on MTBR, Stache frames are still coming new from China, although the full build is gone. The new version of the Roscoe is native 2.6 and not claimed to support plus tires although I’m sure people will try it and find it’s okayish for many sizes.

Surly did their own tires (fat and plus) and rims (Rabbit Hole and Clown Shoe) and cranks (OD and Mr Whirly) and frames (offset Pugs) all to make 26 fat and then 29+ work without major support from larger brands or component makers. The market came to visit them for a while but I don’t know what they’ll do if it moves away completely.

At least you aren’t looking for 27.5 fat, or 700D, or S-6, or junior 22” tubulars…

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-20-21 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-20-21, 11:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The original Krampus was 29x3 rigid 1x (that was the point of it, and the genius of it). I am not on board with the new compromise build of 29x2.6 with a suspension fork.

Dirt Wizards are msrp $130 per tire !! That's enough to even put me off of the 29x3 concept. I'm glad I found Chaoyang, $75/pair shipped. I liked how they rode, it was nice having traction again (until my crank failed). Hopefully after some time with tubes they'll conform to the inflated shape and be happier to seal tubeless.

I can still get 27" tires for vintage road bikes, but if 29x3 is gonna be an expensive niche tire (if the rest of the market doesn't help me keep demand alive, so supply dwindles), then, well, sucks to be me. Hopefully at least 29x2.8 will remain prevalent.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 09-21-21, 09:45 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 64 Posts
Rube Rad. The video you put up was perfect for me as i new nothing about 29x3 bikes. I have been a bike guy all my life and am now 81 so i doubt i could even lift one of those bikes. Still ride my 700x23 Cannondale. They do look like a good setup for intended use.
Ed
Old 09-21-21, 09:55 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Glad you enjoyed it. Good on you for still riding at 81! I'm workin on my plan to still be riding at 81, maybe only an electric-assist recumbent tricycle by then, but the non-impact physical activity of cycling can't be beat! (and sure beats loafing in a metal cage, exercising only the right ankle)

And next time you need a tire change, you should see whether you can fit a 700x25 into that Cannondale. Higher pressures of narrow tires only yields the illusion of faster speed, because it transmits more road vibration to the body. What you want for comfort and speed is the widest, most supple tires your frame can fit, at the lowest pressure that doesn't risk pinch flats. If you liked that video, check out this audio, it is eye-opening! (which is pretty impressive for 'audio')