Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tires that are good 700x28-32

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-03-21, 09:42 AM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

What tires are out there that are on par with Continental 4 Seasons. I'm not sure if I can ride bigger than 30s on my tektro road calipers.
Old 09-03-21, 11:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I would expect every major tire brand has it's equivalent to the Conti 4 Seasons. You might want to find out how wide/tall a tire fits before spending $, and don't assume the tire's labeled size is the on your rim measured size. This is why I generally suggest a visit to the LBS and ask if you can test fit a tire before you pay for it. Andy
Old 09-03-21, 12:19 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
If you like the Conti 4 seasons, they do come in both 28 and 32.
In my experience, Conti 28’s on vintage type narrow-ish rims mount up at 28mm; on later/wider rims they’ll bump up closer to 30mm.
Vittoria Control Graphenes in size 30 mount up at 28mm on Mavic Open Elite rims, more like 30mm on a slightly wider rim like a TB-14
Old 09-03-21, 05:18 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
The list is long. As @ Andrew R Stewart suggests, find out for sure what spacing you have for clearance, vertical and lateral. You will still need to learn what size for what tires will clear, and leave a bit of room for safety and non-marring of those areas. Also, finding a tire that mounts without too much difficulty is a definite plus. Personally, I like Hutchinson Fusion 5 performance or all season. Also, Vittoria Rubino Pro IV. One of my favorites for road are Vittoria Open Pave, but I see them only in 25 and 27mm.

If you already have a tire that you really like, why change just because of wanting wider, unless they do not come in wider widths. If you are looking for something lower in cost, but still good quality, the Rubino IV should work nicely.
Old 09-03-21, 05:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
I have had recent good luck with panaracer gravel kings in 28 and conti gp5000 in 28 (and vitorria corsa control tubies in 30mm) I have found good results with the conti race lite tubes.