Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cable guide under Captains bottom bracket

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-11-21, 01:10 PM
ghoundz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The blue colored cable guide under the Captains bottom bracket on our tandem has cracked. Does anybody know where to get a new cable guide for under a tandem Captain’s bottom bracket shell. I looked around on the internet, but everything seemed shaped specifically for single bikes and thus would not work for a captain’s bottom bracket shell.

Thanks,
Old 09-11-21, 04:58 PM
budhaslug

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since Paketa is out of business, I would suggest reaching out to other tandem manufacturers who use similar cable guides and see if one of them would sell/send you one. Alternatively, you could try a regular plastic guide from a single bike and just cut off the back half of the front derailleur guide. The guide doesn't have to do much other than help the cable turn toward the next guide without creating too much friction, so that would probably work.

Last edited by budhaslug; 09-11-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-11-21, 05:30 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. It's cracked, but is it actually causing a problem? The cable tension probably keeps it in place, and if it isn't impacting your shifting in a detrimental way I wouldn't worry about it. I've worked on bikes that didn't have the guide, but rather a piece of cable housing liner to protect the paint. One of the even older ones the cable just runs unprotected over the shell.
2. A search for "cannondale tandem cable guide" or "tandem cable guide" turned up several options that don't have the tail.
3. Cutting the interfering part of an existing guide as suggested above seems like a viable option.
4. For the more motivated, a 3d printed option seems pretty feasible as well.
Old 09-11-21, 06:23 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Clean it up the best you can and Shoe Goo it in place. The shoe goo will hold it in place. If you want to remove the Shoe Goo later use a pair of pliers on the Shoe Goo to pull it off.
Old 09-12-21, 05:48 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
+1 on reaching out to tandem manufacturers. I purchased a replacement guide a few years back from Co-Motion and IIRC it was only a few dollars.

It may well stay in place if you leave it as is, but if it doesn’t you may lose shifting or brakes and it would never be at a good time. Relying on goopy goo may get you a few miles but would not likely last very long. A few bucks is cheap insurance.

You could also try any of the tandem dealers, they could easily help you.
Old 09-12-21, 06:57 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
It may well stay in place if you leave it as is, but if it doesn’t you may lose shifting or brakes and it would never be at a good time. Relying on goopy goo may get you a few miles but would not likely last very long. A few bucks is cheap insurance.
I have never heard of goopy goo. I used Shoe Goo to hold hydraulic cable guides to the painted surface of my Tandem because the glue that came on them failed in Florida. I use it on the speedo magnet for my bicycle computer. I spent around $1000 for replacement plastic on my Chevy Cruz and when It started peeling off from my wife 4 wheeling it I used Shoe Goo on it. I have found very few things it wont adhere to. I like it because I can cut it with a knife and pull it off a painted surface with pliers.
Old 09-12-21, 08:28 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I have never heard of goopy goo. ...
I was being funny (in my mind anyway &#128514. I have used shoe goo on shoes and it is very effective (and goopy)