Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GPS Question, extra geeky!

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-16-21, 11:07 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts

Yeah as the thread title says. Does anyone know if there are any GPS cyclecomputers that are WAAS/SBAS capable? Raw readings in my area can be a bit hit or miss, and I'd like to improve my accuracy.

Eric
Old 09-16-21, 11:23 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
None that I'm aware of and they don't need to be equipped as such. In the event you are not getting a good GPS signal, the easiest solution is to add what is know as a Speed Sensor. It mounts on F or R wheel, rotates and senses the earths magnetic field and tells the unit the distance travelled. They are very accurate and over-ride a flaky GPS signal, which can happen in canyons, or densely wooded area's.
Old 09-16-21, 11:37 AM
exercion

Thanks, yes I use a speed sensor, and yes that is because of the shaky signal in the mountains and forests here. My issue is purely one of location, and yes it's as much of a nerdy sort of thing as it sounds LOL.

Eric
Old 09-16-21, 02:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Isn't WAAS sort of an old kludge that isn't needed anymore? I've got WAAS on many of my older marine chart plotters and handhelds. But never seen it on bike gps's. Though I've not really cared to look for it either.

Many already additionally use GLONASS and that other system I can't think of the name right now.
Old 09-16-21, 04:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

My understanding of WAAS was it was a limited range (actually, it's got national coverage I just read) ground based system developed for aircraft to utilize GPS at airfields. It improves the accuracy for aircraft, one goal was to be used at airfields that did not have other guidence systems, so that the aircraft could safely land using what otherwise was a somewhat innacurate GPS system. It's in use currently, but the certified receivers are very expensive.

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-16-21 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 04:07 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Isn't WAAS sort of an old kludge that isn't needed anymore? I've got WAAS on many of my older marine chart plotters and handhelds. But never seen it on bike gps's. Though I've not really cared to look for it either.

Many already additionally use GLONASS and that other system I can't think of the name right now.
The Euro based Galleleo system
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-17-21, 04:50 AM
exercion

WAAS/SBAS is a signal used to correct positioning you get from the GPS signals (regardless of net used) on the fly. Adding in Glonass, or one of the other nets adds more available standard gps satelites, which has an accuracy boost as well, but is different from the system I asked about. Yes quite far down the proverbial wormhole, but it's kinda what I do.
Old 09-17-21, 07:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by exercion
WAAS/SBAS is a signal used to correct positioning you get from the GPS signals (regardless of net used) on the fly. Adding in Glonass, or one of the other nets adds more available standard gps satelites, which has an accuracy boost as well, but is different from the system I asked about. Yes quite far down the proverbial wormhole, but it's kinda what I do.
Exactly my idea of a kludge. WAAS is old stuff. But if you go to Garmin's Aviation products I think you'll see it talked about quite a bit. Aviation navigation was one of the main driving force for WAAS in the early days.

Have you considered that WAAS and SBAS might be so integrated into the what we simply call GPS that maybe there isn't any need to even talk about them separately?

Once you go about making all the circuitry for a gps receiver on a chip, it's really not any extra to include the other stuff and to make firmware for it.

Maybe the sales departments realized our eyes glazed over from all the acronyms and agreed just to lump it all under GPS.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-17-21 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 10:57 AM
exercion

Exactly my idea of a kludge. WAAS is old stuff. But if you go to Garmin's Aviation products I think you'll see it talked about quite a bit. Aviation navigation was one of the main driving force for WAAS in the early days.

Have you considered that WAAS and SBAS might be so integrated into the what we simply call GPS that maybe there isn't any need to even talk about them separately?

Once you go about making all the circuitry for a gps receiver on a chip, it's really not any extra to include the other stuff and to make firmware for it.

Maybe the sales departments realized our eyes glazed over from all the acronyms and agreed just to lump it all under GPS.
It's not for everyone, absolutely, and why I titled this post the way I did. I do not think it is integrated completely, as the high end gps units I used had icons for when WAAS was available and the differential correction was being performed real-time (I think I just heard a bunch of eyes glazing LOL) It is a separate signal from GPS, and while developed for planes, that's not its only application. Not old by a long shot as it is being used currently but not generally seen in the consumer market, but since I hadn't really looked at that many higher end units like the Garmins that cost more than my car, I figured I'd ask if anyone had seen any with that nifty little icon.
Old 09-17-21, 12:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Like I originally stated, my old handhelds and marine gps's had WAAS capability. Looking at the new Garmin handhelds, they too still have WAAS. So if you need it, then you can get it in a very inexpensive unit...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87768#specs

But with the all the new Garmin Edges able to additionally use many of the other satelite based navigation systems besides just the GPS system, isn't that sort of SBAS like? And won't that make your reception a little better in your area?

I don't know how widespread WAAS systems are now. But since they are ground based, unless there is one in your area you'll probably not have any better accuracy. Their signal will be even further attenuated by trees, buildings and terrain it must pass through.
Old 09-17-21, 04:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
I don't know how widespread WAAS systems are now.
WAAS was very useful when "selective availability" (SA) was disabled.

Since SA isn't disabled now (usually!), WAAS isn't as useful.

Like I originally stated, my old handhelds and marine gps's had WAAS capability. Looking at the new Garmin handhelds, they too still have WAAS. So if you need it, then you can get it in a very inexpensive unit...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87768#specs
New cheaper GNSS receivers likely don't support WAAS because there's no reason to (with "selective availability" always enabled).

====================

https://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html (this is a few years old.)

For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open land and marine applications.
If this is the case, WAAS won't do much for the OP.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-17-21 at 04:45 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-17-21, 04:43 PM
njkayaker

Yeah as the thread title says. Does anyone know if there are any GPS cyclecomputers that are WAAS/SBAS capable? Raw readings in my area can be a bit hit or miss, and I'd like to improve my accuracy.

Eric
Not sure what you mean. I'm going to guess you are having issues getting a GPS signal.

WAAS/SBAS increases accuracy. It doesn't improve "readings". WAAS uses satellites over the equator (which are generally going to be harder to get a signal from in higher northern/southern latitudes).

Most current receivers can use more than one GNSS constellation: GPS+Glonass or GPS+Gallileo, which increases the number of satellites available (in good positions) to use.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-17-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 07:23 PM
exercion

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Not sure what you mean. I'm going to guess you are having issues getting a GPS signal.

WAAS/SBAS increases accuracy. It doesn't improve "readings". WAAS uses satellites over the equator (which are generally going to be harder to get a signal from in higher northern/southern latitudes).

Most current receivers can use more than one GNSS constellation: GPS+Glonass or GPS+Gallileo, which increases the number of satellites available (in good positions) to use.

I get all that, without going into my background in GPS systems. My question was really a simple: are any cycle computers WAAS enabled? Never planned to get into the debate of why I would like that lol.
Old 09-17-21, 07:48 PM
njkayaker

I get all that, without going into my background in GPS systems. My question was really a simple: are any cycle computers WAAS enabled? Never planned to get into the debate of why I would like that lol.
No (most likely). It's not necessary (somewhat obviously).you

I wasn't wasn't "debating" anything. I was pointing out the reasons why it's not used in cycling computers. You aren't the only person reading/responding-to this public thread.

If you "get all that", it's odd you even asked.
​​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-17-21 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Might be better to ask what can improve your accuracy instead of limiting the discussion to WAAS and SBAS.

WAAS in general won't do much for you in your situation in my opinion. However you could get a used, refurbed or new handheld that has WAAS and take with you and compare to whatever you are using now.

But your environmental things that affect you currently, will be affecting ground based WAAS even more, IMO.

Also realize the satellites are not geosynchronous. So at different times of the year there may or may not be enough at an optimal position to give you a reliable fix in your terrain and surrounding structures.
Old 09-18-21, 10:41 AM
njkayaker

Also realize the satellites are not geosynchronous. So at different times of the year there may or may not be enough at an optimal position to give you a reliable fix in your terrain and surrounding structures.
What?

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...-642-72011-6_2

Thanks to this particular revolution period essentially the same satellite configuration is observed at a given point on the surface of the Earth at the same time of the day on consecutive days (the constellation repeats itself almost perfectly after 23h56mUT).
Old 09-18-21, 11:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

What are you what'ng? Do you think that when considering terrain, structures and surrounding foliage that the satellites are always in the ideal position and that they never move from that?
Old 09-18-21, 03:19 PM
njkayaker

What are you what'ng? Do you think that when considering terrain, structures and surrounding foliage that the satellites are always in the ideal position and that they never move from that?
This is a better description of the issue.

Sure, it’s dependent on foliage (which you didn’t mention at all) but foliage is not always dependent on time of year.

Structure and terrain aren’t dependent on time of year.

Talking about time of year without mentioning why it matters is weird.
Old 09-18-21, 04:26 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
No, Garmin cycling computers don't have a WAAS option. Probably WAAS will drain the battery too quickly for cycling and since one is mainly on roads and marked trails the accuracy is good enough. Roadies and gravel riders aren't going to go looking for geocaches anyway, especially if they're on a Strava segment.

All Garmin handhelds have a WAAS option AFAIK. All Garmin handhelds have a cycling mount additional option so you can mount them on your handlebars and use it as a cycling computer at least for speed and location. I think this makes sense in the Garmin lineup given how the units are expected to be used.
Old 09-20-21, 06:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
The new ones use lots of networks, so GPS, Glonass, Galileo, Beidou, and QZSS.
Old 09-20-21, 09:59 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by chaadster
The new ones use lots of networks, so GPS, Glonass, Galileo, Beidou, and QZSS.
Yeah, but I've only seen ones that let you use only two at a time.
Old 09-20-21, 10:26 AM
exercion

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
No, Garmin cycling computers don't have a WAAS option. Probably WAAS will drain the battery too quickly for cycling and since one is mainly on roads and marked trails the accuracy is good enough. Roadies and gravel riders aren't going to go looking for geocaches anyway, especially if they're on a Strava segment.

All Garmin handhelds have a WAAS option AFAIK. All Garmin handhelds have a cycling mount additional option so you can mount them on your handlebars and use it as a cycling computer at least for speed and location. I think this makes sense in the Garmin lineup given how the units are expected to be used.
Yep, makes total sense, and I figured that no one did, but asked in case some do, or there was a one off that had it, etc. especially given Garmin's expertise in that area.

Eric
Old 09-20-21, 12:24 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Yeah, but I've only seen ones that let you use only two at a time.
Hmm…I guess some have network selection menus, but do those that don’t, e.g. Wahoo Bolt, which claims to use 5 networks, switch automatically between the GNSS options? I’d assume it picks which system to use based on the number of satellites visible, and would not expect that any use two different systems at the same time; how would they rectify the signal data (i.e. decide which system is correct)? My guess would be that chipset, processing speed and capacity, and power usage would be factors determining whether a computer limits satellite search to only a couple networks, or automatically searches for the most robust network from among all those it can use.

I know this is a little OT, but this is also an extra geeky GPS question!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-21-21, 07:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts

Eric
Thanks, yes I use a speed sensor, and yes that is because of the shaky signal in the mountains and forests here. My issue is purely one of location, and yes it's as much of a nerdy sort of thing as it sounds LOL.

Eric
My Garmin 64 is not a "cycling" computer, but I use that GPS on my bikes. They make a handlebar mount for it.

I leave Glonass and WAAS turned off for better battery life. If you are interested, check the manual for that GPS, I think the manual is on-line. I do not know if that model is still sold, Garmin keeps changing models over time.

I also have a separate bike computer with wheel and cadence sensors. And a separate heart rate monitor. So, do not let that confuse you in the photo.

The Garmin 64 has a pretty good antennae, if you are having trouble getting signal in forest, perhaps a GPS with a better antennae is the solution.
Old 09-28-21, 05:24 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
GPS modes

Garmin Edge 830 offers the following modes.

GPS
GPS + GLONASS
GPS + GALILEO

Not sure why I'd need to change the more, it's defaulted to GPS + GLONASS

Barry