Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Rides: Riding In Drops?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-29-10, 07:00 AM
shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My little ride group hooked up with a larger group this weekend and rode on Sunday. My group is no drop but it is very small (5 - 10 riders) and with very few exceptions we know one another fairly well. The group we rode with is not no-drop and riders come prepared to finish the last 30 miles solo or with a buddy. For both groups aerobars are not forbidden but in a paceline riding in them is considered very bad manners.

When hit with strong headwind or crosswind I hunker down in my drops - which is I thought what you were supposed to do. At several points yesterday I was riding with people from the larger group and I didn't notice anyone else getting in their drops.

Is it bad manners to ride in your drops when you're riding in a group? By the time the wind was an issue we were so spread out it was more like 4 of us holding a line for a bit until one or two separated, riding solo for a while before coming up to another wheel.
Old 03-29-10, 07:04 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's not bad manners. It's good form.
Old 03-29-10, 07:07 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
It's not bad manners. It's good form.
correct.
Old 03-29-10, 07:12 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
correct.
This
Old 03-29-10, 07:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
But I thought it was a "NO DROPS" ride??!!??

Just kidding, you did the right thing.
Old 03-29-10, 07:56 AM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct. I do it all the time with a nasty headwind. Others don't.
Old 03-29-10, 08:07 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It depends on the group. For the recreational cyclist (like me), you typically ride with large variety of people. My recreational club friends can be very strong, but don't do a lot a paceline riding. With those guys, I stay on the hoods if I'm not in front. When I ride with people who race, I may feel more comfortable getting into the drops in a paceline.

For a windy, "recreational" ride, I'll stay on the hoods, but get down as low as I can, with forearms parallel to the ground. If the wind is coming consistently from one side, I'll put the windward side hand in a drop, and keep the other hand on the hood.
Old 03-29-10, 08:10 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other riders probably just aren't comfortable in the drops, which is their loss. You weren't doing anything wrong. Ride on.
Old 03-29-10, 08:25 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Depending on the person and how well their bike fits, being in the drops is more stable, very different from riding the aero bars. Drops should always be welcome.. getting dropped, not so much.
Old 03-29-10, 08:36 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
It depends on the group.
Incorrect. It depends on nothing more than your own personal comfort level in the drops. Some people like to ride in the drops all the time, and it would be ridiculous for any group to have a problem with that.

If you know what you are doing and everything is sized and fit correctly, handling is better in the drops. It's not like aerobars where the handling is worse.
Old 03-29-10, 08:55 AM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the wind is coming consistently from one side, I'll put the windward side hand in a drop, and keep the other hand on the hood.
This sounds painful/awkward.
Old 03-29-10, 09:06 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
You are doing it right Shellyspins. The drops are there for a reason.
Old 03-29-10, 09:11 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
It depends on the group. For the recreational cyclist (like me), you typically ride with large variety of people. My recreational club friends can be very strong, but don't do a lot a paceline riding. With those guys, I stay on the hoods if I'm not in front. When I ride with people who race, I may feel more comfortable getting into the drops in a paceline.

For a windy, "recreational" ride, I'll stay on the hoods, but get down as low as I can, with forearms parallel to the ground. If the wind is coming consistently from one side, I'll put the windward side hand in a drop, and keep the other hand on the hood.
Old 03-29-10, 09:14 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
If you're capable of riding in the drops and grabbing you're brake levers quickly, then I don't see the problem. Some folks put their hands in such a position that grabbing the brakes takes an extra second or two. That can spell crash in a tight pace line. Pesonnally, I ride the hoods in a tight line. I'll ride in the drops if I know the riders and they ride a smooth pace line.
Old 03-29-10, 09:15 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by shelleyspins
When hit with strong headwind or crosswind I hunker down in my drops - which is I thought what you were supposed to do. At several points yesterday I was riding with people from the larger group and I didn't notice anyone else getting in their drops..
From my observations, people don't generally ride in the drops (they ride on the hoods). I'm talking about good/experienced riders. I think they do this because it's more comfortable. I try to encourage people to ride in the drops more frequently.

Originally Posted by roccobike
If you're capable of riding in the drops and grabbing you're brake levers quickly, then I don't see the problem. Some folks put their hands in such a position that grabbing the brakes takes an extra second or two. That can spell crash in a tight pace line. Pesonnally, I ride the hoods in a tight line. I'll ride in the drops if I know the riders and they ride a smooth pace line.
I'll ride on the ends when I'm in front (where being able to stop quickly is less helpful). There is much less need to ride in the drops if you aren't at the front.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-29-10 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 09:16 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
So you are one of the people who can't reach their brakes and have trouble handling the bike in the drops?
Old 03-29-10, 12:18 PM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"No drop" doesn't mean handlebars. It's generally accepted that the drops give the best control of the bike, so I don't see why anyone would have a problem with you being a safer rider.
Old 03-29-10, 12:31 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
So you are one of the people who can't reach their brakes and have trouble handling the bike in the drops?
It isn't a crime or personal failing, you know

If I was to be able to comfortably and quickly reach my brakes in the drops, I couldn't ride on the hoods as they would be too far down the handlebar for me to reach comfortably. I am learning to get more comfortable in the drops for longer stretches of time, but if I am in a position where I might need to brake quickly, I am in the hoods. I could probably replace my bars, replace my shifters to ones that can take a shim properly, and be able to use the brakes in either the drops or hoods comfortably and quickly, but as a recreational rider, it's just not worth it to me.
Old 03-29-10, 12:52 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
It isn't a crime or personal failing, you know
I know. The first part of his post said that it wasn't a problem if you could reach your brakes quickly, the second part said that he didn't ride like that. So I was just wondering if it was because it was one of those people.

If I was to be able to comfortably and quickly reach my brakes in the drops, I couldn't ride on the hoods as they would be too far down the handlebar for me to reach comfortably.
It should be able to put your levers in a position where they can be reached quickly and comfortably from either position. Personally, I find heavy and consistent braking to be uncomfortable from the hoods. I can brake quickly from the hoods just fine, but if I have to brake a lot, such as on some descents, the drops are the place to be. I think it's because I use different fingers for each. The stronger index and middle mostly when in the drops, the weaker ring and pinky in the hoods.
Old 03-29-10, 01:08 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
but if I am in a position where I might need to brake quickly, I am in the hoods. I could probably replace my bars, replace my shifters to ones that can take a shim properly, and be able to use the brakes in either the drops or hoods comfortably and quickly
It appears you are on the horizontal (lowest) part of the drops.

If you grab the bars at the bend, you should be able to reach the ends of the levers with your strongest two fingers. The brake lever is a lever, which means that it takes less force to operate them if you apply the force to the end of the lever. For long, sustained braking, like down hills, it's more effective and less tiring to operate the brakes from the drops. Braking from the drops also puts your body weight in a good position for braking.

Braking from the hoods has two disadvantages: a shorter lever arm and using the weakest fingers in the hand.

but as a recreational rider, it's just not worth it to me.
To each his own. Though, there isn't any reason a "recreational" rider can't be a more effective rider. I suspect that many "recreational" riders would benefit working to be comfortable in the drops whether or not they choose to generally ride in that position. (It's a cheap way to be a bit faster.)

Originally Posted by umd
I think it's because I use different fingers for each. The stronger index and middle mostly when in the drops, the weaker ring and pinky in the hoods.
It's also because you are pulling the levers from the ends rather than near the base.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-29-10 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 01:13 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah the lever thing too
Old 03-29-10, 02:04 PM
shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - good to know I wasn't pissing random people off by staying in the drops. My regular ride buddies weren't my concern - I'll know about it when I tick them off - I was more worried about the other group; we don't know one another well and I'm not so sure they'd say anything to me directly.

I find it's way easier to brake but had never really put 2 + 2 together to figure out why this is. Now I know! I find it easier to corner and I can relax more when I'm hunkered down - especially in the 25mph winds. I'm learning to love wind. (repeating to myself: I love wind. Man, I love wind. I love wind.....)
Old 03-29-10, 02:07 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's also because you are pulling the levers from the ends rather than near the base.
I knew that, I just spaced when I wrote it, I swear.
Old 03-29-10, 02:23 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot do extended braking from the hoods, it hurts my hands too much, so I do brake in the drops for long descents with heavy and/or constant braking. Given the position of the brake levers on the bars, I can't just let the lever go, then reacquire it immediately if needed because its just slightly out of easy reach no matter where I put my hands on the drops. If I move the levers down so that I can, then I can't ride in the hoods because they are now too far to be comfortable on. When I am just riding along the flats (especially with a headwind) I am at the end of the drops because its the only position I can maintain without hitting my forearms on the tops of the bars, I have to get lower to use the brakes in descents to prevent that, so I get a little bit off the back of my seat when doing descents.

Replacing the bars with a shallower reach and drop would fix this problem, but I am unemployed right now, so I have to pick and choose carefully what I spend money on. Right now, my bars I can make work for me, even if they are not ideal, so they are down the list a bit.
Old 03-29-10, 02:32 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds like the rotation of your bars could be an issue too. I hate to hijack the tread, but maybe you should post a picture of your bars from the side? With your hands in both positions too would be best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.