Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 10:23 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
October 1 was supposed to be my transition into heavier riding; but its not going to happen. It feels like doom and gloom although there's plenty of time. I've had to set some type of record for injuries in a short period of time, which started with fixing an anterior pelvic tilt which caused a laundry list of issues. When correcting an anterior pelvic tilt, the quads, psoas, adductors, and hip flexors become tight, and everyone of those has either had bad spasms, or some type of strain or tear in the last few weeks.

The last one was 10 days ago getting out of bed. My back (Psoas) just locked up and was in pain for about 7 days. Felt like I was being punched in lower back. I'm hoping at some point all these issues are going to end, but on a positive note, I don't have any nerve pain in my lower back and my sciatica has almost disappeared. Hopefully this is my last rant about it, going to be a week or 2 of easy riding (again).
Old 10-06-16, 08:54 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
October 1 was supposed to be my transition into heavier riding; but its not going to happen. It feels like doom and gloom although there's plenty of time. I've had to set some type of record for injuries in a short period of time, which started with fixing an anterior pelvic tilt which caused a laundry list of issues. When correcting an anterior pelvic tilt, the quads, psoas, adductors, and hip flexors become tight, and everyone of those has either had bad spasms, or some type of strain or tear in the last few weeks.

The last one was 10 days ago getting out of bed. My back (Psoas) just locked up and was in pain for about 7 days. Felt like I was being punched in lower back. I'm hoping at some point all these issues are going to end, but on a positive note, I don't have any nerve pain in my lower back and my sciatica has almost disappeared. Hopefully this is my last rant about it, going to be a week or 2 of easy riding (again).
Darn! feel better.
Do you do any weight training offseason ?
Old 10-06-16, 10:48 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TexMac
Darn! feel better.
Do you do any weight training offseason ?
Yeah, it's not so much to get my legs stronger but to stabilize my core and rebuild the muscles, so my body can handle 15 hour weeks on the bike.

Right now my quads are much stronger than my glutes and hamstrings which is a small part of my problem (the big part being they're too short and pull down the pelvis). Stretching and yoga helps. Strengthening the glutes, abs and hamstrings will help as well, but it is hard to isolate the glutes and not include the quads.

All of this transcends bike training; I don't want people getting the idea I'm doing core work for climbing!
Old 10-06-16, 11:03 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
That has to be mega frustrating. You could try twerking, from what I've heard from friends but absolutely definitely never watched ever, that seems to target glutes and hamstrings way more than quads. You could become a youtube sensation.

Also when you do start riding again do like 5-10 hours, it'll feel dumb but it gives your joints and non leg muscles time to catch up to your fitness so you don't fall apart and stuff.
Old 10-06-16, 11:27 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Yeah, it's not so much to get my legs stronger but to stabilize my core and rebuild the muscles, so my body can handle 15 hour weeks on the bike.

Right now my quads are much stronger than my glutes and hamstrings which is a small part of my problem (the big part being they're too short and pull down the pelvis). Stretching and yoga helps. Strengthening the glutes, abs and hamstrings will help as well, but it is hard to isolate the glutes and not include the quads.

All of this transcends bike training; I don't want people getting the idea I'm doing core work for climbing!
Sounds good. I was having some knee discomfort since feb, last week i saw an ortho who mentioned my quads were stronger than my hams. He sent me to a physio on a Friday and did some hamstring leg exercises/stretches, next day the pain the gone, 3.5 hrs on bike!
Been doing lots core exercises and tons of hamstring stretches, lunges, single leg cable ham pulls, hip abductors, etc
Old 10-06-16, 11:28 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I got one of those fancy twerking desks at work via the disability office.
Old 10-06-16, 01:04 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Got my first flat of the season. Then I got my second. Both wheels. Both on the rollers :/
Old 10-06-16, 01:15 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Got my first flat of the season. Then I got my second. Both wheels. Both on the rollers :/
I bet you finished your four hours @ 100% on those flats, didn't you?

my race videos
Old 10-06-16, 01:26 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
1hr on zwift (thursday race) only 90% intensity today, which feels like I'm slacking compared to my recent efforts! I've spent a few weeks doing tues, thurs races, will just go easy next week and do a recovery week.
Old 10-06-16, 01:34 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
East coast guys don't do west coast volume. We can't ride like you guys.
Old 10-06-16, 07:36 PM
furiousferret

1 hour on the bike very easy. No issues and pain free; unexpected but great news.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
That has to be mega frustrating. You could try twerking, from what I've heard from friends but absolutely definitely never watched ever, that seems to target glutes and hamstrings way more than quads. You could become a youtube sensation.

Also when you do start riding again do like 5-10 hours, it'll feel dumb but it gives your joints and non leg muscles time to catch up to your fitness so you don't fall apart and stuff.
It is frustrating but this should prevent bigger injuries and I'll hopefully be faster for it. Going to ramp up really really slowly.

I think twerking will throw my back out permanently!

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I got one of those fancy twerking desks at work via the disability office.
I have a stand up desk for my telecommute days, I tried to get one at work and their solution was to move me out of my office into a cubicle, so I haven't brought it up again!
Old 10-06-16, 10:57 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*golf clap*
Old 10-07-16, 05:53 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
FWIW, I flatted two Gatorskins within a mile of each other. I had apparently run through a patch of tire wire in the previous day or two and it took the wire that long to work through the flat protection.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-07-16, 08:07 AM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
First post in... a year? Maybe more? I still swing through every once in a while to see how everyone's doing.

Jumping back in because I have a little project that may be of interest to the 33. It's a training podcast, and my co-host is the guy who first told me about ZeCanon intervals (they should really be called Trevor intervals.) He knows his stuff.

Check it out here.

Keep on keepin' on.

Caley

p.s. My training is poor
Old 10-07-16, 08:20 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

OMG You're alive! Hope things are good!
Old 10-07-16, 08:37 AM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Very much alive! Just busy
Old 10-07-16, 08:54 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
ZeCanon Intervals has a better ring to it
Old 10-07-16, 12:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I'm doing a thingie on Sunday that is sorta a race where there are 10 timed climbing segments...like a reverse enduro, BUT my gf got mega sick a couple of days ago like a couple of hours after I left her place, so I'm in that weird position where I'm waiting to get hit with megaflu but I can't tell if I'm getting sick or not, so every little thing makes me think I might be coming down with megaflu.

Anyways since I entirely cracked myself on Sunday I took monday and tuesday off, spun easy wednesday, and did some mostly easy stuff yesterday with a couple of efforts and accidentally set a new 2min power number. So without really meaning to my 2min max is now ~40W higher than it was at the beginning of the year which is pretty neat.

Now I wait and see what happens with my immune system, and hope I'm reallllly lucky...
Old 10-07-16, 12:44 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
every year, the day i have to set up the rollers/fans/stuff is the worst because it feels like defeat. every year, i resist it and become a whiny little...guy.
I have no problem setting everything up, its actually riding on it for longer than 10 minutes that gets me
Great that you went out and rode in the cold anyway though!

Wanted to do a 2x20' yesterday but was kind of short on time and my first repeat was a little quick meaning I covered my 20' segment in 19'. oops. Ended up just riding up the rest of the climb and calling it a day - didn't want to do anything too hard when racing tomorrow. Effort during my prerace ride today didn't feel as good as last week, but I think that's due to the fact that I did it as a morning ride instead of an afternoon one - I find I'm much sharper later in the day (its also not freezing in the afternoon!).

Looking at the startlist for tomorrow's climb it seems like there's a solid 10 or so people I'd put ahead of me, but I said that last week too and was surprised to find that wasn't the case. Having 10+ fast people ahead of me is definitely the plan for the first few false flat miles leading into the climb anyway, so things should work out well.
Old 10-07-16, 03:12 PM
mattm
**** that

30' on the rollers last night.

Determined to not let CTL go below 60 even during the (short) off season.

Been jogging a bit too; knees still intact!

my race videos
Old 10-07-16, 05:53 PM
Wylde06

30' on the rollers last night.

Determined to not let CTL go below 60 even during the (short) off season.

Been jogging a bit too; knees still intact!
Minus the rollers part, this is basically what ive been doing. Tried to keep CTL above 70 for as long as possible but 4 days off the bike killed that!
Old 10-08-16, 05:14 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize this is a humble brag but I am just about to fall below the 100 CTL mark in like....forever? I really can't remember the last time I managed that. Coach has been on me about actually doing off-season and my CTL has slowly trickled down. I blame commuting to work by bike as the reason I never drop that low. I normally get 50 TSS at an absolute minimum from my commute (10 miles each way, and when you have open roads it is hard to convince myself to do Z1 watts).

I am curious if things would be much different for better or worse if I actually dropped my CTL to more reasonable levels more frequently. During the season it was definitely helpful to my high end power to drop lower than normal (I used to be about 120 CTL average mid season, this year I was closer to 110 average). Curious to see if really re-building my CTL is better than maintaining it. Granted I am going to Italy for a week at the start of next month so I can only imagine what it will do to my CTL.
@Wylde06 lets see where our CTL gets to if we have a real snowy winter those Left Coasters don't understand the meaning of "Off Season"
Old 10-08-16, 08:22 AM
Wylde06

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
@Wylde06 lets see where our CTL gets to if we have a real snowy winter those Left Coasters don't understand the meaning of "Off Season"
The thought of snow just makes my CTL drop even further!

Looks like last year I dropped to about 40-45 after not riding much of December at all (the year before that it got down to 20 while trying to figure out my effed up hip muscles). If I can start the new year around 55 or so, I think that will put me in a good spot for when I start back into structure.

This time of the year is both awesome and it sucks. I cant really ride outside after work (unless I leave early which doesnt really happen) and I cant quite get myself to get on the trainer on a regular basis yet. Yet, the weather is awesome...which makes not being able to ride outside after work awful!
Old 10-08-16, 01:23 PM
mattm
**** that

100+ CTL avg wow. It works for you so I won't knock it..

But for me, when I get around or above 100 I just can't race the same. High end power (anything under 1' or 2') gets a lot harder. So I only do that during the winter when building base; during race season I'm best around 85, it seems. (wins always seem to happen around that CTL, fwiw)

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
During the season it was definitely helpful to my high end power to drop [CTL] lower than normal
This is what I always try to tell @Ygduf, but he won't listen.

What am I to do when one of my athletes won't listen to me??

my race videos
Old 10-08-16, 01:24 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Wylde06
Minus the rollers part, this is basically what ive been doing. Tried to keep CTL above 70 for as long as possible but 4 days off the bike killed that!
It can be hard to watch that line go down no doubt...

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.