Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 05-06-20, 07:23 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 953:

It's now been three weeks since I started working from home. Still getting up early and riding to the office (plus usually a little extra) and then riding back home before I start my work day. We're having an online company meeting tomorrow and I'm speculating the owner called the meeting to announce we'll be returning to the office in the next week or two.

This morning was 45°F with a light north wind. I took off in the opposite direction for about two miles, then turned around and headed to the office. About five miles into the ride I was going through a construction zone when I hit a rock, and immediately recognized the sound and feel of the way I hit it. Sure enough, 1/4 mile further down the MUP I had a flat rear tire.

I thought about fixing it right there, but I was only a mile and a half from home at this point. I reasoned that by the time I got it fixed I'd pretty much have to head for home to start work on time. It was just chilly enough that I didn't feel like sitting on the ground messing with it, so I walked home where I could deal with it in the comfort of my garage, with my tools and repair stand making everything easier. I pulled out the tube and patched it before I had to log in. I'll take a break later this morning and put the tube back in.

Just remembered I never posted my most recent commuting video:
Old 05-06-20, 11:44 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Today "commuted". Sort of

Today I woke up pretty close to normal bike commute time.⏰ I was on the bike by 6:15am. I saw 47F and fog. I rode my commuter, Salsa Journeyman with 650B wheels and it was different from riding on the road bike but pleasant. Made it home and showered in time to clock in early. 👍

Super windy today so feeling good about adjusting my bicycle riding times.
Old 05-07-20, 06:59 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I'm impressed by you folks who are getting up and doing your commute before working from home. Impressed because I'm not doing it! I did have to go to the office yesterday and rode. It was great!!
Old 05-08-20, 12:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
California announced "stage 2a" will start today. I'm not sure yet if that means anything for me. The Bee says Sacramento is low enough on new cases but fails the requirement to have enough detectives tracking people who were exposed to infection "("contact tracers," nice euphemism). Wasn't there supposed to have been an app for that?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-08-20 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 03:07 PM
pkeegs

Bikes: Populo Quest 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noob Commuter

Old motorcycle commuter...sold it a few years ago. Similar challenges which make it great to get up in the morning. Started commuting three weeks ago, 17 mi. each way. Bought cheap cyclocross with some amazon racks/bags. Trying for 2 times a week, but, there are three terrible climbs each way, about 550 feet. Need two or three days to recover. Deer, Fox, turkey, you name it it’s on the commute! Going for 68 mi. / week initially, ultimately I think 3 times at 102mi/week is doable. 12 miles on Hudson River Bike Path, 5 on some scary roads. Ecstatic about this decision...one of my better ones.
Old 05-11-20, 03:44 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 956:

Rode to the office this morning, and actually went inside. They're rearranging the seating chart, so they set up a schedule where for the next couple weeks one person comes in at 8 AM, another at noon, and another at 4 PM each day until everyone is moved. I was on the schedule as the first domino to fall to kick it all off.

It was supposed to drop below freezing overnight, but I was pleasantly surprised that it only got down to about 38°F. The cross wind was blowing about 10 mph, and the sun was out. It really was a much more pleasant morning than I anticipated.

I posted my latest bicycle commuting adventure episode:

Old 05-12-20, 07:55 AM
pkeegs

Bikes: Populo Quest 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late Start 39 degrees

Well, that is about the limit, 39 degrees; two layer on the bottom and three/vest up top with a face scarf. My time was about the same: 16.9 miles, 1:12...Started later than normal, still only three or four people. I wish I could stop and take a picture of the Hudson, it's amazing in the morning. Today the animal was a gaggle of baby Canadian Geese and protective parents.
Old 05-12-20, 09:07 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pkeegs
Old motorcycle commuter...sold it a few years ago. Similar challenges which make it great to get up in the morning. Started commuting three weeks ago, 17 mi. each way. Bought cheap cyclocross with some amazon racks/bags. Trying for 2 times a week, but, there are three terrible climbs each way, about 550 feet. Need two or three days to recover. Deer, Fox, turkey, you name it it’s on the commute! Going for 68 mi. / week initially, ultimately I think 3 times at 102mi/week is doable. 12 miles on Hudson River Bike Path, 5 on some scary roads. Ecstatic about this decision...one of my better ones.
Welcome to commuting and the forum! Weird time for both - I think we're all jonesing to get back to the daily ride (I know I am)!
Old 05-14-20, 10:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I miss riding twice a day and sharing all the little foibles with you guys. My own job has not necessitated my presence for about a month, I guess. My last serious bike ride was over two weeks ago. I undertook a car repair that was within my expertise but beyond my infrastructure, and took some false steps on it that have made it take seemingly forever. There has not been a two hour block of time for me to ride the bike around the lake without feeling guilty that the truck isn't running.

I take the kids around the block about once a day. The problem there is, the boy twin is only just now getting the hang of his large balance bike, while the girl twin, who is half his size, is ready but not responsible enough for pedals. She forges ahead and around the corner out of sight while he lags. We are thinking to get her a pedal bike that is better in short bursts than cruising far, like a Yoji. The 5yo is getting so he can find his way home in the neighborhood without help so I have just been letting him go ahead of me. Almost done rebuilding his used 20" bike so he can upgrade.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-14-20 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-26-20, 08:30 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 966:

Today marks the 6 week anniversary since I've been working from home. I've yet to miss a morning to get up and ride to the office and back before I start my work day, so my streak is still alive.

The last week has been pretty rainy. This morning when I left the house the roads were still wet, but thankfully the rain had stopped falling so it wasn't bad. Light wind, and temp at 60°F. I accidentally overdressed, as I could have done without the sweatshirt and headband.

Here's my latest commuting compilation video:
Old 05-27-20, 08:11 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
Flat 1.5mi from work. No prob, pump it up maybe it will hold to work. Pump fell apart! Well.. Walking's supposed to be good for you.
Old 06-08-20, 09:27 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Not much happening on this thread lately. I'm still riding every day before I start work so I can say I'm still commuting. Probably be working from home for another 3 weeks.

Here's my latest commuting video:

Old 06-08-20, 09:30 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
Well this is my first commute where I have stayed the whole day at the office since this pandemic started. . It will be a different routine in the am as I will no longer shower in the ladies room downstairs. There are too many people and it has no way really to keep my 6 ft distance. So I took a sponge bath in the ladies room upstairs on the floor where I work. No one is in when I arrive at work.

I did not want to come back and work in the office but it was not my choice. Though it did motivate me to pay off the house this week and not wait until next April. Next the car gets paid off. And retirement is looking like May of 2021 when I turn 62.
Old 06-08-20, 12:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
I did not want to come back and work in the office but it was not my choice. Though it did motivate me to pay off the house this week and not wait until next April. Next the car gets paid off. And retirement is looking like May of 2021 when I turn 62.
With luck there'll be a vaccine by then, so you'd be safe to continue working. (If we survive that long...)

Or are you just waiting for opportunities to ride your bike more?
Old 06-09-20, 04:22 AM
essiemyra

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Or are you just waiting for opportunities to ride your bike more?
I would have worked longer as I like what I do and I also like the company, but I also want to be able bike more and in better weather(maybe FL or CA in winter).

Another nice commute this am the temp was a mild 60 f degrees. A deer crossed the road in front of me, and we are both safe. Yay!
Old 06-10-20, 04:40 AM
essiemyra

It appears that I am the only from this board in the office. Well it was another nice bike commute to work today with pleasant temp at 60 f degrees.
Old 06-10-20, 11:56 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I've almost bought a new bike about once a week for two months. I'd really like a Salsa Journeyman like RidingMatthew 's but household finances have had repeated stupid little shocks that come to about the same price as the bike. I started out wanting the flat-bar version but keep waffling. I'm now hoping I don't miss out on the denim blue color. The Bianchi Volpe came in a similar color about five years ago and I missed out then too. During this crush the Salsa Stormchaser came and went too... it was a $2000 bike by the time gears were added but it was a limited edition and already sold out. I don't really need it, I've got a 1990s steel road bike that works ok, but it's a racing bike, it's not great at carrying stuff and the gears are high for my bum ticker.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-10-20 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 06:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
Trying to figure out this work from home but craving to bike commute. Hard to get out on recreational rides. I have debated commuting to/ from work before I log in? Does that make sense or is that crazy?
It makes sense but easier said than done if "getting to work" has been your main rationale and motivator. I've had one bike commute since the beginning of covid measures.

I commute to the patio. I do miss the bike commutes.

Home Office
Old 06-15-20, 04:43 AM
essiemyra

Another nice commute this am with the temp at 55 f degrees, and I saw a flower garden where the peony's are in full bloom. The peony's are at the town community gardens grounds and not on someone's land. I am thinking I need to ride by there with a pair of clippers and take me a few stems.
Old 06-15-20, 07:31 AM
pdlamb

@essiemyra, I'm enjoying your ride reports. It's nice to see someone here is still bike commuting!

One good thing about working from home is that my wife weeded around our peony this year, so the lawn care man didn't cut it down with his weed whacker. Too late for the bush to grow and flower this year, but maybe next year?
Old 06-15-20, 08:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 980:

Did 14.6 miles before heading back to the home office to log in. It was windy, with a 20 mph south wind. Thankfully my route was mostly cross-wind, and took me slightly in to it on the way there and gave me a slight push on the way home. 74 degrees, but cloudy.

Came across a large tree branch on the MUP. Decided to pick it up and deposit it at the next trash can. Turns out the next trash can was about 3/4 mile away. It's surprising how much wind resistance a big tree branch full of leaves creates.
Old 06-16-20, 04:37 AM
essiemyra

Originally Posted by pdlamb
@essiemyra,One good thing about working from home is that my wife weeded around our peony this year, so the lawn care man didn't cut it down with his weed whacker. Too late for the bush to grow and flower this year, but maybe next year?
Peony's are my most favorite flower. So glad the lawn man did not cut it down with his weed wacker. My husband did that one year to a small peony plant. We moved before we ever saw if it got flowers.

So today was a pleasant ride but chilly 51 f degrees. I wore a jacket because it was cool.

I saw 3 other riders out this am. Two of the riders I have not seen before and they both waved hi, the other rider I am starting to see on a daily basis. I think the young kid works at out local grocery store as he is wearing their apron and white shirt.
Old 06-16-20, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Fake commute today. Got up this morning, saw the temperature, and decided to ride to work. Rode south as usual, made a left instead of a right, went over the ridge (and down it, whee!). Back north and around the mountain, and made it to my office at home. Only took me 90 minutes longer to do three times the distance as usual.

So cool, so dry, so clear. Hardly any traffic. Most of our spring flowers are gone, but the magnolias are blooming -- and boy, when you hit the smell plume of some of them, the sweetness will send you into diabetic shock. I could get used to this.

Then I logged in, checked my email, and started groaning. We're living with the effects of "there's never time or budget to do it right." Ugh.
Old 06-17-20, 06:18 AM
essiemyra

It was another pleasant commute this am with the temp at 51 f degrees. Not to much going on except the bunnies who run away as if I not the cars will hurt them.
Old 06-18-20, 05:22 AM
essiemyra

I was pleasantly surprised on my commute this am. The young boy who rides past me going in the other direction spoke to me this am. He said the sky is beautiful this morning. I agreed with him and continued on. I have been saying hi to him for about two weeks now with at first no response and it kept getting a little more, like a hand wave and such, but look at him making conversation. Go you kid!

Anyway it was a pleasant ride this morning and just a little warmer than it has been. They started milling a main road that I usually don't take but did this am and regretted that decision. Oh well, you can bet I won't be on that road again for a while.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.