Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My First 50 Miler

Old 06-07-21, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
You are my age. 50. Keep at it. Of 5 the last 7 weeks, I've done 100 mile+ rides on Saturday. Keep up the riding, even if you stick to the 100k rides. You're still getting out there, and keeping yourself in shape. And at our age, it really matters. You'll see your out-of-shape buddies get sicker, weaker, but you will be feeling like your mid-thirties again. I know this because this is how I feel.

I've been on the century most Saturdays plan as well for a few years (not in the winter, though, and not a big fan of rain). The key for me is to make sure the ride is interesting and fun, and go places I enjoy and eat food I like. If I treated it like some serious "training", I'm sure I would have gotten too bored with it to keep it going.

Not saying my way is "right", it just works for me. Do you have any things you do to keep it "interesting"?
Old 06-07-21, 05:27 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;22091912]
Originally Posted by kahn
No. I'd like to kick it up to a metric but we shall see. Biking was always a second activity after hiking and cross-country skiing. This last 6 or 7 months it has been mostly biking as I pulled/strained/something a calf muscle. I managed one cross-country ski and a reasonable hike.[/QUOTE

Good thing you had the biking to fall back on. Those pulled/strained/somethings really suck.
They really do and take eons to heal. I was even having trouble with the stairs in my home. One leg would lead. Biking worked as long as I did not drop the heel on the pedal stroke. Dropping the heel would pull on the calf.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-07-21, 05:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

[QUOTE=kahn;22092311]
Originally Posted by livedarklions

They really do and take eons to heal. I was even having trouble with the stairs in my home. One leg would lead. Biking worked as long as I did not drop the heel on the pedal stroke. Dropping the heel would pull on the calf.

I'm prone to foot/ankle injuries. I have to laugh about being told there's only one proper foot position on the pedals-- depends on what I'm working around.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-21, 10:13 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I've been on the century most Saturdays plan as well for a few years (not in the winter, though, and not a big fan of rain). The key for me is to make sure the ride is interesting and fun, and go places I enjoy and eat food I like. If I treated it like some serious "training", I'm sure I would have gotten too bored with it to keep it going.

Not saying my way is "right", it just works for me. Do you have any things you do to keep it "interesting"?
Exactly like you. I've been calling my Saturday rides "Adventure Saturday". I pick a slower, more comfortable road bike. I pick an different, interesting destination each time. (I live in Brighton Mi, a few of my destinations have been like Stony Creek Metro Park, Lake Erie Metropark, Owosso, and others).
I even drove down the PA's GAP trail and road that for 100 miles out of Ohioplye.
The other two long rides were with organized brevets.
My pace for my Saturday rides is an easier one, slower, with the intention to just enjoy the day, not suffer.
I always stop for a sit down lunch with plenty of calories. Heck, on my GAP trail ride with 10 miles left to go, I stopped in Confluence for a few beers and a basket of fries. and left with the most energy I had all day.
If I am on trails, I'll also put on some music via earbuds, take it easy, and zone out a bit. If I'm close to home, I'll even have a beer at a party store, drank in the parking lot. Nice carbs for the 10 miles or so left.

Last edited by friday1970; 06-08-21 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 06-09-21, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by friday1970
Exactly like you. I've been calling my Saturday rides "Adventure Saturday". I pick a slower, more comfortable road bike. I pick an different, interesting destination each time. (I live in Brighton Mi, a few of my destinations have been like Stony Creek Metro Park, Lake Erie Metropark, Owosso, and others).
I even drove down the PA's GAP trail and road that for 100 miles out of Ohioplye.
The other two long rides were with organized brevets.
My pace for my Saturday rides is an easier one, slower, with the intention to just enjoy the day, not suffer.
I always stop for a sit down lunch with plenty of calories. Heck, on my GAP trail ride with 10 miles left to go, I stopped in Confluence for a few beers and a basket of fries. and left with the most energy I had all day.
If I am on trails, I'll also put on some music via earbuds, take it easy, and zone out a bit. If I'm close to home, I'll even have a beer at a party store, drank in the parking lot. Nice carbs for the 10 miles or so left.

I usually ride pretty fast on my centuries, but with a break in the middle and I don't sweat it if I need to slow down for traffic or scenery. Last year, I wasn't taking breaks because there wasn't really anywhere to stop for lunch or coffee. The rides went faster, but it definitely was less fun. With the ability to take a nice indoor break, I'll probably go back to doing 125 mile + rides again. I did a 108 mile ride last Saturday, but the 90 degree plus weather made that seem really, really long. But riding down by the ocean and having lunch in Portsmouth NH was very nice, I hadn't been able to do the lunch part in a long time.
Old 06-09-21, 07:23 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Portsmouth NH was very nice
One of my favorite towns in the East coast. I was there two years ago, and I loved how every business along the main drive seemed to be a local one.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 06-09-21, 10:04 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Just saw my neurosurgeon today. He was fine with cycling but I'm gonna tell my wife he said I needed an endurance bike !!

He actually said that it wouldn't hurt all the metal he so painstakingly screwed into my neck but it would probably be painful.......he's right but I've always been really good at suffering through things. I get some pains down my arm for a few hours after a long ride but that's part of it. He said as long as any symptoms are transient I can keep it up.

Gonna try that 100K ride hopefully on the weekend after this one.

And am serious about an endurance bike...I think that would take alot of strain off my neck.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 06-09-21, 08:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Just saw my neurosurgeon today. He was fine with cycling but I'm gonna tell my wife he said I needed an endurance bike !!

He actually said that it wouldn't hurt all the metal he so painstakingly screwed into my neck but it would probably be painful.......he's right but I've always been really good at suffering through things. I get some pains down my arm for a few hours after a long ride but that's part of it. He said as long as any symptoms are transient I can keep it up.

Gonna try that 100K ride hopefully on the weekend after this one.

And am serious about an endurance bike...I think that would take alot of strain off my neck.

I think you should come up with a few things to tell your wife the doctor ordered.

One tip for the distance riding, try to time your route so you're not finishing into a headwind.

Have you flown yet? You might be the TSA's scanning nightmare with all the metal bits.

Have fun on the 100km!!!

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-09-21 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 07:09 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I think you should come up with a few things to tell your wife the doctor ordered.

One tip for the distance riding, try to time your route so you're not finishing into a headwind.

Have you flown yet? You might be the TSA's scanning nightmare with all the metal bits.

Have fun on the 100km!!!
I wish I could time it like that. On Monday I went on a 30 mile ride and the last 15 were straight into the wind !! I stick to bike paths for the most part and my favorite is north/south so depending on the weather it could be a tough ride for half of it. The good news is its an old rail cut so much of it is quite sheltered. Only in a few spots do I get the brunt of the wind. It typically swirls and loses it punch. In some spots where its really open it can be tough. I thought it was gonna stop me in my tracks !!

I have been wanded a few times since my surgery. My implants are mostly titanium so they react quite weakly to metal detectors. I think I will be OK flying. I can always show them some hella scars if I need to !!!
Old 06-10-21, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I wish I could time it like that. On Monday I went on a 30 mile ride and the last 15 were straight into the wind !! I stick to bike paths for the most part and my favorite is north/south so depending on the weather it could be a tough ride for half of it. The good news is its an old rail cut so much of it is quite sheltered. Only in a few spots do I get the brunt of the wind. It typically swirls and loses it punch. In some spots where its really open it can be tough. I thought it was gonna stop me in my tracks !!

I have been wanded a few times since my surgery. My implants are mostly titanium so they react quite weakly to metal detectors. I think I will be OK flying. I can always show them some hella scars if I need to !!!
I'm mostly on roads, so it keeps my routing options quite open. I have both North/South and East/West round trips of various lengths I can do. Every once in a while, I'll totally screw it up due to a bad forecast, and then I really pay for the turn around halfway approach to routing. Second half of a 100 plus mile ride into the wind really is awful.

Rail trail through woods is a really good wind-dampening strategy, and if I'm reading you right, the path is 15 miles long. Two round trips is about a metric century, but I bet you knew that already!
Old 06-10-21, 07:41 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I'm mostly on roads, so it keeps my routing options quite open. I have both North/South and East/West round trips of various lengths I can do. Every once in a while, I'll totally screw it up due to a bad forecast, and then I really pay for the turn around halfway approach to routing. Second half of a 100 plus mile ride into the wind really is awful.

Rail trail through woods is a really good wind-dampening strategy, and if I'm reading you right, the path is 15 miles long. Two round trips is about a metric century, but I bet you knew that already!
The path is most likely about 30 miles end to end. They keep making it longer !! If I take it to the end I should get past 62 miles. The route I have takes me from my job to a crushed limestone tow path that parallels an old canal. About 4 miles or so to get there. It links up with the Monon trail in a super trendy part of the city at about the 9 mile mark of my ride. Then I head north for a super long time , turn around and head straight south to downtown Indianapolis. Downtown is where I pick up the cultural trail that ends in a bike lane for the last 1 or 2 miles. I really love this route. Lots of road crossings but they are well marked and I am very cautious. People are very good about slowing and stopping as the trail is popular and well known. I know my landmarks for 20, 25 and 30 mile rides without even looking at my odometer.

10 or so years ago I carried a pistol as the last 5 miles of the south part of the trail was super sketchy. Now it is home to super expensive apartments and remodeled old homes. I probably couldn't afford to live in what used to be the heart of crack-ville.
Old 06-12-21, 06:40 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Planned for a shorter ride but felt really strong ...... took a bit more nutrition with me and when I got to 15 miles thought whats 10 more before turning around. I also tweaked my bike a tad based on a video I found here. Moved the seat back some and lowered it a tiny bit. Also tried super hard to improve my elbow bend and not lock out my arms. Helped quite a bit in the neck pain department.

Felt stronger at the finish but was most likely the result of a tailwind. Really gonna try for that 100K next weekend if the weather is good.

I do gotta say that my broke ass leg was giving me a little trouble at the end but is nothing compared to my neck.
I think longer rides will probably require some rest breaks and careful planning. The neurosurgeon said the position itself will not hurt me but will probably get uncomfortable. He is right!!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 06-12-21, 05:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Planned for a shorter ride but felt really strong ...... took a bit more nutrition with me and when I got to 15 miles thought whats 10 more before turning around. I also tweaked my bike a tad based on a video I found here. Moved the seat back some and lowered it a tiny bit. Also tried super hard to improve my elbow bend and not lock out my arms. Helped quite a bit in the neck pain department.

Felt stronger at the finish but was most likely the result of a tailwind. Really gonna try for that 100K next weekend if the weather is good.

I do gotta say that my broke ass leg was giving me a little trouble at the end but is nothing compared to my neck.
I think longer rides will probably require some rest breaks and careful planning. The neurosurgeon said the position itself will not hurt me but will probably get uncomfortable. He is right!!
I think you're working towards $6 Million Man status. We can rebuild him better, stronger.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-21, 05:37 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Think about your body on the bike pivoting in a circle, with the center of the crank as the fixed point. As you rotate back, the saddle moves back, bars move back and up. As you rotate forward, saddle moves forward and bars move forward and down. Seat height goes up or down as needed to keep the correct sale to crank distance. BTW, if you rotate back far enough, you've turned your bike into a recumbent.
Most advice out there about proper position is based on aero and power considerations for racing, not comfort for guys with titanium in their neck
Point being, you can do a lot of adjustment that will affect neck angle and thus comfort.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-12-21, 05:42 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by downtube42
Think about your body on the bike pivoting in a circle, with the center of the crank as the fixed point. As you rotate back, the saddle moves back, bars move back and up. As you rotate forward, saddle moves forward and bars move forward and down. Seat height goes up or down as needed to keep the correct sale to crank distance. BTW, if you rotate back far enough, you've turned your bike into a recumbent.
Most advice out there about proper position is based on aero and power considerations for racing, not comfort for guys with titanium in their neck
Point being, you can do a lot of adjustment that will affect neck angle and thus comfort.
The video I watched was about proper bike set up specifically for neck issues. I think the biggest improvement for me comes from the better arm position and using more of my core. The changes I made were rather small but helped a bit on both my behind (which wasn't a big problem) and the ability to use my core. Probably getting physically stronger as well.