Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain catchers on road bikes, yay or nay?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain catchers on road bikes, yay or nay?

Old 06-29-21, 11:33 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Trek has them built into their frames.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-30-21, 04:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Most of the big chainrings I have came with one.

Edit: I run triples and have the FD adjusted so it takes some effort to go onto the 3rd ring. No need for one.

Last edited by seypat; 06-30-21 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-30-21, 04:58 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Yes. Use one. Or risk damaging your BB area paint. Or really get it jammed in there and possibly damage more.

Ive needed mine maybe once or twice in 10k miles and it’s worth it. Or I think I needed it. It keeps it on the small ring
Old 06-30-21, 05:02 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Yes
Old 06-30-21, 09:26 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
IMO the ones that mount on the FD mounting bolt don't stay put well enough, except for the SRAM Red one. That's a nice design. Trimmed mine a bit for lightness, no good for compact crank anymore
Old 07-01-21, 06:07 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
IMO the ones that mount on the FD mounting bolt don't stay put well enough, except for the SRAM Red one. That's a nice design. Trimmed mine a bit for lightness, no good for compact crank anymore
The ones that use ONLY the bolt and tightening torque, yes, totally agree. This one however is excellent.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-01-21, 06:29 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
The ones that use ONLY the bolt and tightening torque, yes, totally agree. This one however is excellent.
Yeah, that looks rigid enough, but how do you adjust it?
Old 07-01-21, 06:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I like the looks of the absolute black one that does used the FD bolt and torque for initial positioning, but has a lower bolt for fine positioning of the guard. Haven't used it yet, but considering it for my next one.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-01-21, 07:18 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A dropped chain can do substantial damage to a carbon frame. I've used two different k-edge catcher models and found they can make things worse if the chain gets behind the catcher. I'm running two bikes with SRAM Force AXS and decided not to even try a chain catcher. I don't use SRAM cranks and I haven't had a chain drop in almost a year, with any of three different cranks. Go to the axs owners page on Facebook and you can read many reports of frequent chain drops. Most of the problem is improper FD setup, but the SRAM cranks might be an issue too. Use of the sequential or compensating shift modes also increases the chance of chain drops, since shifts between sprockets and chain rings are often made at nearly the same time. I use neither of these features. A chain catcher isn't a substitute for proper FD setup or sensible shifting sequence.
Old 07-01-21, 08:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I like the looks of the absolute black one that does used the FD bolt and torque for initial positioning, but has a lower bolt for fine positioning of the guard. Haven't used it yet, but considering it for my next one.
Oooh, I like the looks of that one, too - with that concave back side, it shouldn't twist at the FD fastener and I have to imagine that adjusting the gap would be less fussy. I might have to add that to my next order of bike crap.
Old 07-01-21, 12:04 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A chain catcher isn't a substitute for proper FD setup or sensible shifting sequence.
I'm not sure that anyone is suggesting it is a replacement for either. It is, however, cheap insurance in the event that something goes slightly wrong.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 07-02-21, 05:08 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yeah, that looks rigid enough, but how do you adjust it?
The smaller short bolt (below the main mounting bolt) passes through an elongated hole in the chain catcher, so you just adjust the catcher to the desired point, then tighten it up with a 2mm hex key. It stays put nicely.
Old 07-02-21, 08:08 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I know a guy who terminally sawed the bb shell of a Cervelo via repeated chain drops. Seems beyond oblivious but it happened.
I'm guessing something other than (or in addition to) "chain drop" was involved here. Once the chain is dropped from the ring, it's no longer connected to the drivetrain and no longer being driven forward, so it can't really "saw" into the frame unless the bike is moving backwards.

A dropped chain can definitely scratch the BB shell and damage the paint, but "terminally sawed"? I'm not too sure about that.
Old 07-02-21, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm guessing something other than (or in addition to) "chain drop" was involved here. Once the chain is dropped from the ring, it's no longer connected to the drivetrain and no longer being driven forward, so it can't really "saw" into the frame unless the bike is moving backwards.
The back side of some spiders are grabby enough to drag a chain in to the gap in short order.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-02-21, 08:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I always assumed the chain was hung on the inside of the ring rather than a clean drop. Could be wrong, there is often "more to the story."
Old 07-04-21, 10:45 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I'm not sure that anyone is suggesting it is a replacement for either. It is, however, cheap insurance in the event that something goes slightly wrong.
That would be true if the catcher always worked. I've had two K-edge models that didn't work when needed, The chain went behind the catcher and made things worse.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-04-21, 11:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I have the N-Gear Jump Stop of 2 of the bikes in our family's stable. I'd have it on more, but I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase them. That's a shame because it was a great, cheap, lightweight product.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-04-21, 04:03 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Those are the ones I use. Super easy to adjust.
Old 07-05-21, 11:29 AM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I tried a chain catcher on two of my bikes and ended up removing them. They caused more problems than they solved for me. With a chain catcher I still dropped a chain but it was much harder to extricate the chain and get it back on. At least that was my experience.
Old 07-05-21, 01:41 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

A dropped chain can definitely scratch the BB shell and damage the paint, but "terminally sawed"? I'm not too sure about that.
I could not find it again, but there was a thread on using a chainsaw chain (without teeth) on one BF thread. Its on the internet so it must be true.
Old 07-06-21, 07:29 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I dropped my chain while out riding over the weekend. It's the first time I've dropped a chain in several years.

I forgot to re-engage the clutch on my 1x rear derailleur after cleaning my bike the evening before, and hit a really bumpy section of road and the chain bounced off, but mostly I blame this thread. Thankfully no BB shells were damaged. I just pulled off and stopped, slid the chain back onto the ring, flipped the switch on my RD to "on" and then caught back up with the group.
Old 07-06-21, 10:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I always assumed the chain was hung on the inside of the ring rather than a clean drop. Could be wrong, there is often "more to the story."
I've never had one hang up. When they drop, they fall right off and I'm left spinning with zero resistance, and since it's invariably when I'm going for the small ring, I'm going up hill and come to a stop PDQ.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-21, 10:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I use a Deda Dog Fang on my CF Bianchi, because I found that the 16 tooth gap from 50 to 34 makes chain drop more likely. I've also gone back and carefully adjusted all my FDs to move the cage closer to the chain when downshifted all the way. And I haven't dropped a chain on the Bianchi in years, which may mean I don't need the Dog Fang, or it may mean I DO need the Dog Fang and it's been doing its work so seamlessly I've never noticed it. In any case, I don't care enough to do the experiment to determine which of those possibilities is true.

On another bike, I found that chain drop was a symptom of having a dirty chain. But it was also a symptom of a poorly adjusted limit screw!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-12-21, 07:17 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
That would be true if the catcher always worked. I've had two K-edge models that didn't work when needed, The chain went behind the catcher and made things worse.
That would indicate to me that the chain catcher wasn't set up properly. When in proper adjustment, there shouldn't be room for the chain to slip between the inside of the ring and the catcher.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 07-12-21, 09:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I have a nice one from K-Edge that is gold that matched the bike nicely. I haven't yet needed it but I am not complaining it is there. I don't notice that little amount of weight and it is a little tiny bit of insurance but more importantly it matches my El Chulo brakes from Cane Creek.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.