Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse offering 8 80th anniversary bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rene Herse offering 8 80th anniversary bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 08:19 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Amen, unfortunately I have it on very good info that it ain't gonna happen, at all, period.

Which seems odd to me, him being back here in PDX, he can walk into several builders shops and probably punch his own ticket to get back at it.

Chances are working with copper tubes pays better.
I don't blame him one bit.
Although I wouldn't mind having one to match my wife's MAP.
Great bikes.
Old 08-15-21, 08:35 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Chances are working with copper tubes pays better.
Probably true. But if a frame builder did get paid like a plumber, you would probably have a $13K bike. This thread shows we can't have that.
Old 08-15-21, 11:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I don't blame him one bit.
Although I wouldn't mind having one to match my wife's MAP.
Great bikes.
Agreed, absolutely, and you will be the first to know if I hear that it changes.

Had to be crushing to have finally gotten wound up to really get after it only to have it go up in smoke. He had so many irreplaceable tools that were lost.

Very tough deal, maybe he can overcome it someday, won't be anytime soon.
Old 08-16-21, 09:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
So what's the outlook on what happens to these bikes down the road? Are they going to be sold for half the sticker price in 5 years, or will they become collectibles reselling for twice the sticker in 10 years?
Old 08-16-21, 10:08 AM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
So what's the outlook on what happens to these bikes down the road? Are they going to be sold for half the sticker price in 5 years, or will they become collectibles reselling for twice the sticker in 10 years?
My guess is that they will hold their value much better than most other high-end new bikes, but I doubt they will appreciate.

It seems to me that Jan has tried to make a bike that is worthy of the Herse brand and also incorporates some historical Herse features. In my opinion he has succeeded. As for the prices of the frame and bike, I don't detect any significant markup due to the RH brand - it's just what this level of skill and quality costs, especially for a low-volume product. As an owner of an early Herse, I have no hesitation in considering this new bike to be a legitimate Herse. Obviously, Jan owns the brand, but in my opinion he also earned it. Lyli passed the torch to Jan, and I like what he has done with it so far.
Likes For Duke7777:
Old 08-16-21, 10:12 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Probably true. But if a frame builder did get paid like a plumber, you would probably have a $13K bike. This thread shows we can't have that.
But do the copper pipes have cool shorelines?

I think not the first framebuilder to shift to plumbing.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-16-21, 10:42 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
This application process is his attempt to have some control over that. If every buyer raves about it, then the used market mystique is likely to remain hot for a long time; less so if someone who is (by his measure) uninformed gives his bike a bad review. Maybe he learned from his own mistakes — his earlier reviews of others’ products were a lot less objective and didn’t acknowledge any market clout his opinion might have had. I’m thinking of his review of the Surly Big Dummy and the early VO crank, where he questioned the company’s claim that it was made of 7075 aluminum.
Old 08-16-21, 11:21 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke7777
It seems to me that Jan has tried to make a bike that is worthy of the Herse brand and also incorporates some historical Herse features. In my opinion he has succeeded. As for the prices of the frame and bike, I don't detect any significant markup due to the RH brand - it's just what this level of skill and quality costs, especially for a low-volume product.
Originally Posted by Duke7777
Obviously, Jan owns the brand, but in my opinion he also earned it. Lyli passed the torch to Jan
I think that of all the points being considered in this thread, what is quoted here at least feels objectively true to me.
Old 08-16-21, 11:30 AM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 100 Posts
My takeaway is that the bikes seem really thought out and are of the highest quality. They are just way too expensive for my budget. Fortunately, they are still a ton of great, older bikes floating around.
Likes For BertoBerg:
Old 08-16-21, 11:31 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Prices start at $13,900 and the vendor claims that it is not making any money at this price. Who would have thought that a handbuilt steel bicycle is underpriced at $13,900.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-16-21, 12:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
But do the copper pipes have cool shorelines?

I think not the first framebuilder to shift to plumbing.
Not sure but I think he was a plumber for awhile as well and I think he's also extraordinary at that as well.
Old 08-16-21, 12:45 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
So Jan is the new Grant.. I love the bike internet
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-16-21, 02:14 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Does the bike world have "blues lawyers"?

$6000 is cheap compared to what Luthiers and/or their small companies (like Benedetto) get for a custom built archtop. Check out their prices, or a variety of others. But you DO get a hand carved instrument with great materials....
I bought a Campellone archtop for $5400...it is a magnificent thing, better than the Gibson L5 I used to have. And that's a bargain price for such a guitar. or check out this guy: https://www.rancourtguitars.com
Old 08-16-21, 02:48 PM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
So Jan is the new Grant.. I love the bike internet
Yep. This thread is a whingefest, even by bikeforums standards.
Old 08-16-21, 04:25 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by nazcalines
Whining about whining. That's next level!
Likes For tricky:
Old 08-18-21, 10:29 AM
pedalmike
Spectrum Rider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm glad that Jan has offered these 8 bikes. I have no idea what the vetting process for selection will consist of, but I'm hoping it results in a cohort of buyers that will actually ride and enjoy these machines.
Old 08-18-21, 12:43 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Like many entrepreneurs, Jan Heine seems to be skilled in outsourcing activities, marketing/promotion and agitating those who fail to embrace his way of doing things. He's found a niche market to exploit and is going for it.

If I had shi**ons of disposable income, I might consider adding something like this 26"-er to my bike barn. Nobilette is at the top of his game...
Likes For ctak:
Old 08-18-21, 12:55 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by nazcalines
I blew it on the exam. I winged it with allure libre and audax, but guessed wrong. I had hoped for an extra credit question. Darn.

Insert sardonic emoji
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-18-21, 01:00 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
There’ll be a choice of drivetrains, either 12-speed SRAM eTap electronic shifting or a Nivex rear and Rene Herse lever-operated front derailleur”

Some of this article reads like a bad April 1st joke in the middle of August.
No ****ski.. 😅😅😅
Old 08-18-21, 01:17 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by microcord

I imagine that news of this bike/frame is intended to provide additional cachet for the brand, in order to sell more tyres. But Panaracer Gravelkings have been good enough for me.

Much of the Quarterly is about Herse tyres, Berthoud saddles, and other expensive goodies that Compass sells (and I've never bought); but it's a pleasant read all the same.
That's why, while I appreciate the pictures in his blog, I only read one in every three or so of his posts that come to my reader and go back and forth on getting a BQ subscription before settling back on no. Beautiful stuff though.
Old 08-19-21, 12:03 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I used to be ridiculously dorky about "tenon length" or "mold marks" or "binding depth" and all that other silly ****.

I got into bikes and got ridiculously dorky about "chain stay lengths" and "cantilever cable angles" and "Reynolds decals." You know, the stuff that REALLY matters.

Brick and mortar music stores pretty much stay in business selling the Squiers and Epiphones along with consumables. I guess that's probably changing due to the nature of e-commerce.
Yep! I have a '63 Telecaster with a period Gibson Humbucker at the neck. Needs re-fret work now, but it was my first electric guitar that I purchased already well-used and modded with a psychedelic paint job, with paper route tips. My refretting project hit a bump when the local luthier went out of business, so I went to the local guitar store and bought an Epiphone LP (should have just bought a MIM tele, as the transition has been hard.) The '63 It is now wall art for the time, along with my '73 Peugeot UO-8.

Would I like a new Rene Herse? Yes for its craftmanship, but no, it would be wasted on me. But it is beautiful. But I found a replacement for the 1973 Peugeot, and the 1973 Fuji that I rode for 40+ years, that kept the spirit of the 2 vintage bikes I had (that went from new to vintage during my ownership), while giving me a cantilever brakes, a 10 speed cassette and SIS shifting, and was not fitted with matte black components. I am just glad to see that the traditional and vintage bikes are still influencing riders and being made.

Yes, I do subscribe to Bicycling Quarterly. It is the only bike magazine with bikes I would like to ride.
Old 08-19-21, 04:40 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"I don't detect any significant markup due to the RH brand - it's just what this level of skill and quality costs, especially for a low-volume product. As an owner of an early Herse, I have no hesitation in considering this new bike to be a legitimate Herse. Obviously, Jan owns the brand, but in my opinion he also earned it. Lyli passed the torch to Jan, and I like what he has done with it so far."

Well put. The torch was passed to Jan and he is continuing the tradition in the same vein as the founder. In my book it is real and I respect Jan's efforts in marketing a seriously great design and style that has withstood the test of time. How does that song from Fiddler on the Roof go? If I were a rich man...yep, I'd put in for one in a heartbeat then ride the wheels off it!

As far as BQ goes, I too am subscribed as it tests bikes that are of interest to me, not the typical cookie cutter stuff, and the testers have zero problems pointing out what they see as short comings of the bikes they test. They are beholden to no one.
Likes For TiHabanero: