Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bicycles with integrated frame storage

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-29-21, 05:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts

Other than the Domane, what other road bicycles have an integrated frame storage feature?
Old 08-30-21, 08:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Speicalized has SWAT tech on some MTB and Endurance bikes. Roubaix is a road model with storage.
Old 08-30-21, 10:11 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm surprised more bikes don't feature some kind of built-in concealed flat repair kit. Manufacturers go through all this effort to aero shape and conceal cables, etc and then customers have to strap a bag full of stuff to the bike every time they ride, just so they can fix a flat tire.

It's like having to strap a spare tire to the rear bumper of your sports car.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-31-21, 06:59 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Speicalized has SWAT tech on some MTB and Endurance bikes. Roubaix is a road model with storage.
Specialized dropped the frame-mounted SWAT box for the Roubaix beginning with the latest frameset in 2020. At that point the Diverge gravel bike gained internal frame storage, but not the Roubaix.
Old 08-31-21, 07:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Most modern "nicer" triathlon (not time trial, as it's not legal) bikes have integrated hydration and/or storage. Sometimes integrated in the frame, sometimes a removable front fairing, sometimes a bolt on fairing inside the triangle, sometimes a behind the seat tube faired storage box or hydration unit.

The fact that triathlons dictate that you must be self sufficient outside of stopping at aid stations for hydration/nutrition and you can't have a "team car" or would lose a crap ton of time stopping at a gas station or to stop and unpack your jersey or touring bag...........dictates the tech follows the need.

For road, pros have team cars and roadside feeds. They also use team tactics and the peloton to shield/rest. You can't draft in triathlon. For most recreational riding, there isn't a real need to be both super aero and ergonomic for on-bike feeding and maintenance. So bikes are made with the assumption you will attach separately what you need.

If you really want something more integrated........either ride a newer triathlon bike as-is OR convert one to a drop-bar setup. Some of the newer ones with disc brakes can take up to 30mm or even 32mm tires.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-31-21, 08:43 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm surprised more bikes don't feature some kind of built-in concealed flat repair kit. Manufacturers go through all this effort to aero shape and conceal cables, etc and then customers have to strap a bag full of stuff to the bike every time they ride, just so they can fix a flat tire.

I agree. I'd rather use a Quick Mount seat bag for other personal needs. The integrated frame storage would def allow for it. Less chances in losing tools & a tube if a quick thief were to snatch the bag.
Old 08-31-21, 10:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
The new Cube Agree C:62 has a removable aero storage box that integrates with the frame. It's not as neat as the hidden Domane storage, but looks quite effective. Certainly nicer than a saddle bag.

Old 08-31-21, 10:11 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I thought the storage area on my Domane was kind of a gimmick until I put a tube, co2 inflator and levers in it. Its really slick. I hate bags etc or anything that messes up the lines of a bike. I usually ride with a Camelback lobo with the hydration pouch removed. to increase the storage. I can carry a small pump and enough tools to address most needs. On the Domane I can go with without it.
Old 08-31-21, 10:20 AM
Troul 

PeteHski Not for me, but it may be for others. I like the integrated hidden frame storage design.
Old 08-31-21, 10:31 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Troul
PeteHski Not for me, but it may be for others. I like the integrated hidden frame storage design.
I kind of agree, but fully integrated solutions like the Domane can't be that great for frame efficiency. Effectively having a huge cutout in the middle of the downtube is a compromise too far for me. The mtb version of this has been reported to rattle a bit too, which would annoy me massively. I run a tiny saddle bag with just a tube and multi-tool and everything else goes in my jersey pockets. I see Cube's solution as a step up from the usual saddle bag without compromising the main triangle design!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-31-21, 11:32 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I kind of agree, but fully integrated solutions like the Domane can't be that great for frame efficiency.
It sure doesn't feel like it effects the frame at all to me !!nI would hope in their desire to make good product (that also comes with a great warranty etc.) they would have tested it it half to death. With a full water bottle the latched door is rock solid. Hopefully I wont need to make a warranty claim but for a frame that has a lifetime warranty for the original owner (carbon wheels too !! ) I think the integrity of the frame is OK.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-01-21, 01:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
It sure doesn't feel like it effects the frame at all to me !!nI would hope in their desire to make good product (that also comes with a great warranty etc.) they would have tested it it half to death. With a full water bottle the latched door is rock solid. Hopefully I wont need to make a warranty claim but for a frame that has a lifetime warranty for the original owner (carbon wheels too !! ) I think the integrity of the frame is OK.
I'm sure the frame is just fine. But it is a design compromise to incorporate such a feature into the frame. Whether or not it is a worthwhile compromise depends entirely on how much use you make of the integral storage. For me personally it seems over-engineered for not that much benefit and so I'm not surprised that other frames don't have this feature. For example I can't imagine an ultra-lightweight frame like the Specialized Aethos having a huge hole in the middle of the downtube. If it did, they would either have to beef it up or accept less torsional rigidity. Everything is a compromise.
Old 09-01-21, 01:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m a few years when everything is tubeless, every mfg will have storage space for tubes, levers, a patch kit, and CO2.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-01-21, 01:44 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

And what is wrong with that? 1962 Morgan (UK)

Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 09-01-21, 01:47 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’m a few years when everything is tubeless, every mfg will have storage space for tubes, levers, a patch kit, and CO2.

John
how about a quick clip mount for the brushless drill & proprietary spec'd drill bit for using a schrader type tube?
Old 09-03-21, 11:56 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Seems like it would be super annoying on a rough road...

I do not grok bag hate.

--Shannon
Old 09-04-21, 02:27 AM
Troul 

At some point, a certain level of trust has to be given to engineers. This is where I am willing to give it my trust with a known brand with community backing. Would I go straight to a BSO that has an IFS compartment? Not with one of my used up nine lives, but you do you I suppose.

Originally Posted by ShannonM
I do not grok bag hate.
--Shannon
I'd give it a try if it was made available to a more "averaged" priced bicycle.
Old 09-04-21, 04:54 AM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I sorta like the look of a folded tubular tire behind my saddle.
Old 09-04-21, 09:38 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg
I sorta like the look of a folded tubular tire behind my saddle.
One of you guys posted pic of ancient TdF riders wearing their spare tires like a commando wearing his 7.62 ammo belts.

I thought “Beast Mode!”
Old 09-04-21, 09:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

I do not grok bag hate.

--Shannon
No noise from my Domane SL6. I also fit a Park patch kit below the burrito and in front of the tool holder. I see in the future alternate tool holders. Oh the only rattle I’ve had is from the broken rear drive side spoke with the nipple bouncing around in the rim. It is heavier then it should be.
Old 09-04-21, 09:26 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I agree. I'd rather use a Quick Mount seat bag for other personal needs. The integrated frame storage would def allow for it. Less chances in losing tools & a tube if a quick thief were to snatch the bag.
Who needs a thief? I've got more bikes than garmin mounts and I only use it to record what I did, not to monitor, depending on the bike so I tossed it in my seat pack for a ride on a bike with no mount. Had a great ride, thought I'd maybe pulled a personal best so I pulled it from the pack to stop it and save, tossed the bike in the rack and got home to discover I'd forgotten to shut the bag. Left a tube, levers, CO2 pump and 2 cartridges, a patch kit and 2 bucks on the expressway.
Old 09-05-21, 02:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I wish all frames had the mount for a bolt on top tube bag. Strap on ones suck, they flop over to the side.
Old 09-05-21, 03:52 PM
Troul 

Personal preference for storage, but internal storage keeps honest people honest & it's nice having things stowed out of the elements.
Old 09-05-21, 05:05 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Personal preference for storage, but internal storage keeps honest people honest & it's nice having things stowed out of the elements.
Even with the compartment on my Domane I can't give up my (very small) backpack. The fact that I essentially have doubled up on whats in the storage makes it funny to me. I also carry a small pump in it which was super handy when I helped a fellow rider out last week.

I'm planning on a longer ride tomorrow. The pack will allow an energy bar, some gels and hydration tabs as well as the stuff I normally carry. As well as a flat kit in the compartment. I hate any kind of a bag on my bike ...weird but thats me .
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-05-21, 05:18 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I hate any kind of a bag on my bike ...weird but thats me .
Me too. I just about tolerate a small saddle bag (and I mean small, just enough to squeeze in a tube and multi-tool). Everything else goes in my jersey pockets. I've also taken to wearing Rapha Cargo bibs on century rides, which have great additional storage for bars, gels etc.
But I'm not totally sold on integrated frame storage due to its implications for frame design as I mentioned earlier in the thread. If it was there I would use it though for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.