Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Mountain Cycles Stumptown CX

Old 03-20-13, 06:20 AM
Erik_A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX

My next ride: a 2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX build

trying to decide on discs or canti's for this "classic". It has my 60cm top-tube dimension, which for CX bikes is hard to find.

Bought this frame/fork used (shipped out of state) from Sellwood, who I highly recommend!

Sellwood Cycle Repair
7953 SE 13th Ave
Portland, OR 97202
shop@sellwoodcycle.com
(503)233-9392
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
99517a-e1362941550287.jpg (97.6 KB, 62 views)
99517b-e1362941596454.jpg (94.1 KB, 67 views)
2005 MC geo.jpg (97.5 KB, 63 views)
99517.jpg (105.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Erik_A; 03-20-13 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 10:22 AM
J e e p s
Cross country newbie

Bikes: '11 Cinelli Vigorelli, '13 Traitor Ruben

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik_A
trying to decide on discs or canti's for this "classic". It has my 60cm top-tube dimension, which for CX bikes is hard to find.
The rear hub spacing is 135mm so it will be easier to find disc hubs than 135mm n-disc hubs.
Never saw this frame before. make sure you post pics of the bike once it is done!
Old 03-20-13, 11:02 AM
Erik_A

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
There are still 29er wheelsets/ hubs for rim brakes (not disc) in 135mm spacing. I plan to start off with TRP EuroX canti brakes. - Yes, I will add the finished photos.

Originally Posted by J e e p s
The rear hub spacing is 135mm so it will be easier to find disc hubs than 135mm n-disc hubs.
Never saw this frame before. make sure you post pics of the bike once it is done!
Old 03-22-13, 04:59 PM
Erik_A

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
The "Softail 2" rear stays are supposedly designed to be horizontally rigid but vertically compliant. Local, small Portland company that is now owned by an Asian manuf. - Specialized killed them off with a lawsuit saying the "Stumptown" (a PDX nickname) was too close to "Stumpjumper" so they had to discontinue it.

https://bikeportland.org/2006/03/20/l...rogresses-1071

That thing looks like it would ride like a truck, as in a full-size Dodge Ram truck. I don't make recommendations to people re the disc/canti drama (but I do ride discs myself).
Old 04-06-13, 02:24 PM
Erik_A

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Does anyone have any extra Mountain Cycle frame or headtube stickers that they are willing to part with?
Old 04-07-13, 09:25 AM
handsthatcatch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're lucky you caught this one before I did, though it may be way too small for me. Wonder if Sellwood cycles has any other giant Cx bikes, I'll have to check when I get a day to bike out there.
Old 04-07-13, 10:27 AM
Erik_A

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
The XL 62cm Stumptown has a 60cm top tube; not many stock CX frames have a top-tube longer; My other CX bike is a Cannondale CAAD9 CX which has the same 60cm top-tube but has a longer (200mm) head-tube; I would look for one of those - great bikes.

Originally Posted by handsthatcatch
You're lucky you caught this one before I did, though it may be way too small for me. Wonder if Sellwood cycles has any other giant Cx bikes, I'll have to check when I get a day to bike out there.
Old 08-31-21, 09:53 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Gotta resurrect a zombie thread because it seems to be the best source of info for these frames on the entire internet!

I picked up a 61cm Mountain Cycles Stumptown last weekend on Craigslist. It had been built as a really bad hybrid and barely ridden.

The lady who sold it to me said that her dad was/is a patent attorney, and he would be given stuff like this all the time. Well, he lost this case, I guess! MC USA didn’t survive the Specialized lawsuit; I remember the guys at Cyclepath in Portland making stickers that said something about rather riding **** than riding a Specialized, or something to that effect. I think they bought the rest of the frames.

Anyway, beautiful piece of work. Aluminum is not really my thing anymore, but I had to give it a try!

I didn’t realize how large it was when I bought it, but I think it’s going to work. I threw a weird 135mm/700c SS wheelset on it and some bars, seat, and cranks, and I think it’s gonna be a good ride.

Frame weighs 3.14 lbs, and the steel fork, which is from some sort of Felt build kit, weighs 2.94! It’ll work as a test mule to see if the bike is a keeper.
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 09-04-21, 01:19 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

I scraped together enough parts to build something I could ride up and down the street a few times. The reach is a bit too long!

I found a set of brifters at one of the co-ops in town, but they turned out to be 10 speed, so that threw off my plan of relying on my giant horde of 9 speed stuff. I’ll keep ‘em for future use. I think for now I’ll set it up with a short stem and riser bar so I can reign in the reach and use an mtb group I have. We’ll see how that works.

Setting up these XTR cantis was fun. I thought these red Ritchey pads would look good with this frame, but they’re too big for the road rims. Oh well, found them in a free box at a garage sale!

Likes For JacobLee:
Old 09-04-21, 03:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Maybe a switch to flat bars for the reach? Cool bike.
Old 09-05-21, 07:08 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Flat bars it is!

It sorta looks like an overgrown bmx cruiser, but I was able to build it with the parts I had and take it on a good shakedown ride. I think it’s a keeper! I haven’t ridden an aluminum frame in a long time, but I think it rides really nicely. It is a “soft tail” after all.

Dropped by my favorite co-op and found some cool bits. An NOS Project 2 cx fork with uncut steerer, and a pair of 700x40 Kenda Flintridge Pro tires. The frame calls for a 400 mm axle to crown, and the project 2 is just that. The boat anchor that came on the bike is closer to 410. I don’t really like the looks of the skinny, straight legs of the Kona, but it’s a pound lighter, and has fender eyelets, so it’ll work!

Speaking of fenders, that’s another thing I’m excited about. With the long top tube, I might actually get some fenders on here without a ton of toe overlap. It’ll be a tight squeeze with the big tires, but maybe some 38’s will make it work.

Another tight spot back here. Probably why this thing does good wheelies! This is the only fd setup that would work: top pull, high clamp. Might be a good argument for a 1X setup if I’m gonna get a fender in there.

Anyways, I’ll get some drop bars back on here once I sort out the drivetrain and stem, but for now, it’s a fun ride.