Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Leaving in the Morning

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Leaving in the Morning

Old 09-06-21, 01:22 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Leaving in the Morning

Picking up a one way rental to Buffalo. to continue a tour started two years ago. Did the Erie Canal Towpath from Albany to Buffalo. Now I'll continue (LWWP) along the South shore of Lake Erie to Erie, PA, pick up the Pittsburgh Spur of the Underground Railroad route, as per Adventure Cycling. That leads, unsurprisingly, to Pittsburgh where I will jump on the GAP/C&O combo down to Washington DC. There, I can get the Amtrak Vermonter train back to VT.
Hoping the notorious C&O is dried out from the hurricane.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-06-21, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I’ll be on the Vermonter on Saturday heading to St. Albans City.
Old 09-06-21, 06:22 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Enjoy your trip Pratt , you too indyfabz . Seems BFers are finally getting back on tour
Old 09-06-21, 06:40 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Good luck on your trip.

The GAP and C&O are on my bucket list also. I was eye-balling a route that would take me through WV to Pittsburgh where the western start of the GAP is. It surely won't happen this year at this rate, but it is neat to spin ideas around.

Good for you to bite the bullet and hammer it out, even if it is a bit delayed. You're still out making things happen.

Keep us posted with your trek!
Old 09-07-21, 08:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Enjoy your trip Pratt , you too indyfabz . Seems BFers are finally getting back on tour
Thanks.

The MT/ID trip I had all lined up for June of 2020 had to be scrubbed because of quarantine rules and because Delta changed my itinerary so drastically that it would have been logistically insane. Not to mention that for my return trip, it had be me MSO to SCL, SLC to MSP, SLC to MSP and finally MSP to PHL. Had no idea how it expected me to take two different flights from SLC to MSP on the same day. Glad I took a photo of the computer screen because it was instrumental in winning the dispute with my bank.

Also turned out to be a blessing in disguise as areas I was supposed to ride through got hit with a blizzard that I would have gotten caught in. One high (just under 8,000') road I was supposed to cross got more than 2' of snow and was closed.

Also, I likely contracted COVID in late March/early April of that year. Over the summer I did get in a two long weekend trips and then did a cross-PA tour from Pittsburgh home to Philly, starting with the GAP then heading north to pick up PA Bike Route S.

Then on 11/13 (a Friday of all days), I lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch (very possibly post-COVID related), fell on my face and, among other things, severely messed up my left thumb. Had surgery a month later. Months of PT and OT. Not sure when I actually was able to even get back on the bike for short commutes/leisurely rides this year. Probably late April.

Managed to get in a total of 5 days of loaded touring this summer during two local-ish trips. I have no idea how I will do starting next week. First days is only about 35 miles and then I have a day off in Burlington to hang with some friends. Nice thing about the plan is that I have wiggle room later in the trip. Best case scenario is that I will be home the 23rd, but I can add some short days/days off after the 5th day of riding without wasting reservations and not get home until 9/26 if I want to.
Old 09-07-21, 08:50 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Have a great tour Indy!
Old 09-07-21, 05:11 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks.

The MT/ID trip I had all lined up for June of 2020 had to be scrubbed because of quarantine rules and because Delta changed my itinerary so drastically that it would have been logistically insane. Not to mention that for my return trip, it had be me MSO to SCL, SLC to MSP, SLC to MSP and finally MSP to PHL. Had no idea how it expected me to take two different flights from SLC to MSP on the same day. Glad I took a photo of the computer screen because it was instrumental in winning the dispute with my bank.

Also turned out to be a blessing in disguise as areas I was supposed to ride through got hit with a blizzard that I would have gotten caught in. One high (just under 8,000') road I was supposed to cross got more than 2' of snow and was closed.

Also, I likely contracted COVID in late March/early April of that year. Over the summer I did get in a two long weekend trips and then did a cross-PA tour from Pittsburgh home to Philly, starting with the GAP then heading north to pick up PA Bike Route S.

Then on 11/13 (a Friday of all days), I lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch (very possibly post-COVID related), fell on my face and, among other things, severely messed up my left thumb. Had surgery a month later. Months of PT and OT. Not sure when I actually was able to even get back on the bike for short commutes/leisurely rides this year. Probably late April.

Managed to get in a total of 5 days of loaded touring this summer during two local-ish trips. I have no idea how I will do starting next week. First days is only about 35 miles and then I have a day off in Burlington to hang with some friends. Nice thing about the plan is that I have wiggle room later in the trip. Best case scenario is that I will be home the 23rd, but I can add some short days/days off after the 5th day of riding without wasting reservations and not get home until 9/26 if I want to.
Damn! Rough phase for you, glad you are back riding. Good luck on tour