Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crashed - who screwed up?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Crashed - who screwed up?

Old 09-13-21, 11:39 AM
qmatodd@me.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have always taken the approach that in order to be safe while riding a bicycle, that you must anticipate that every driver, pedestrian, skate board rider, mother with a stroller, jogger and yes other cyclist too... that they are not paying attention to you, don't know that you are there (or care) and will unexpectedly take the most outrageous and reckless action and then act accordingly.

Does it really matter that you are right, if you end up dead or in the hospital???
Likes For qmatodd@me.com:
Old 09-13-21, 11:49 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm reasonably certain that rule doesn't apply in the case of an unsignalled, unannounced U-turn, especially if the rider doing the U-turn fakes to the right first.
The 'rule' for the road is not the same as the MUP. However, rather than get all legalistic, there is a certain amount of common sense (or lack thereof) needed by both parties. The person in the front is at fault (he did not look or signal), the overtaking rider should be announcing, NOT because of any rule/law/custom, etc. but because many people on the roads and trails are idiots, or too self-absorbed.

In riding and driving, it is far better to be proactive, and assume the other person is going to do something erratic, stupid, or not paying attention. You may have the right of way and be 'in the right,' but as my father said when he was teaching us to drive, NEVER assume you have the right, because if you are wrong, you could be DEAD wrong. As my bicycle had no armor, and to avoid adverse encounters, I always announce or make noise (bell, voice) of some type when approaching people and animals.
Old 09-13-21, 11:53 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Rules of the road also state that u turns are illegal
Depends on the state, and the type of road in that state.
Old 09-13-21, 12:04 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 440 Posts
Cycling is like chess, always anticipate a few moves ahead given any situation that might occur.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-13-21, 12:05 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ask Judge Judy, she would know for sure.
Old 09-13-21, 12:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Feelgood1
I think Garmin computers should have a bell feature. Press a button and it rings a loud bell so you don't have to yell every time "on your left!!"
Try one of these low cost, low tech "devices", requires no batteries, microchips or yelling. Understood in all languages.

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-13-21, 12:18 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Both at Fault

I expect unexpected behavior on MUPs due to pedestrians not paying attention, children randomly cutting across the path and don't get me started on animals. It's why I seldom ride MUPs versus roads. I would say the overtaking rider is at least 50% at fault for not alerting the rider with an "on your left." I do this automatically and as as loud as I can. Even so, I don't take for granted that the person heard me as they may be listening to music. If they look back or move over to the right, I proceed on my way. If they don't do anything, I slow and proceed with caution. The other rider is at least 50% at fault for performing an unexpected turn. Another "rule" of the road for cyclists is to be predictable as practical and a sudden u-turn is not. But like I said - you have to expect the unexpected on MUPs.
Old 09-13-21, 12:23 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I was tooling along on the Green Bay Trail in Winnetka (Illinois) yesterday at maybe 12-13 MPH. Coming up on a bench, the rider ahead of me moved to the right and slowed down. I moved left. I expected the rider was stopping, but rather hung a U-turn without signaling and without looking back. The rider saw me and panicked but did not stop. I panicked and braked, but we collided and both of us went down.

I got road rash, but my bike was fine. I had to do first aid because I'm on a blood thinner, and blood was flowing, but the first aid was effective. I also lost a hearing aid, which is annoying, but I'm insured against loss - one of the benefits of a Costco HA.

The other rider kept saying, 'You didn't say 'On your left'!'

Very few people around here give any warning at all. I'm usually one of them. I'd bet a lot the 2 guys who passed this rider 200 yards ahead of me didn't give any warning, because they didn't give me warning. I know the rider didn't signal or look back before turning.

Obviously I'd be better off if I had trusted the other rider and/or my assumptions less than I did, but how much of a beef do I have against a rider who apparently assumed it's OK to do a U-turn on a MUP without checking the environment?

TIA.
Sorry to say, but it’s your fault.
Old 09-13-21, 12:38 PM
Vixen21

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn’t see you! I didn’t hear you! I assumed!

Rather than wasting energy searching for fault….
Lets do what we can making sure it doesn’t happen again.

As we age we gain faults.
1. hearing loss
2. balance loss
3. Flexibility to turn our heads backwards
4. Slower reaction time
5. We get tired, lazy and cut safety corners

What precautions do we take to minimize ourr faults?
1. Verbal traffic helpers
2. Lights
3. Bells
4. Horn
5. Radio “ not in ears” lol
6. screeching rear brake “ my fav”
7. Ride covering brakes.
8. Bright clothing
9. Expect faults in others
10. Pretend your an opera singer on your bike if thats your gig.

These helpers don’t work with wild animals.
A goose locked up my front wheel. and I ended up in the ER.
Cheers!
jack

I was tooling along on the Green Bay Trail in Winnetka (Illinois) yesterday at maybe 12-13 MPH. Coming up on a bench, the rider ahead of me moved to the right and slowed down. I moved left. I expected the rider was stopping, but rather hung a U-turn without signaling and without looking back. The rider saw me and panicked but did not stop. I panicked and braked, but we collided and both of us went down.

I got road rash, but my bike was fine. I had to do first aid because I'm on a blood thinner, and blood was flowing, but the first aid was effective. I also lost a hearing aid, which is annoying, but I'm insured against loss - one of the benefits of a Costco HA.

Very few people around here give any warning at all. I'm usually one of them. I'd bet a lot the 2 guys who passed this rider 200 yards ahead of me didn't give any warning, because they didn't give me warning. I know the rider didn't signal or look back before turning.

Obviously I'd be better off if I had trusted the other rider and/or my assumptions less than I did, but how much of a beef do I have against a rider who apparently assumed it's OK to do a U-turn on a MUP without checking the environment?

TIA.
Old 09-13-21, 12:50 PM
Spikem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TIA.
Yup--your fault overall. He was careless for now looking behind to see if anyone was there before the U turn, but you didn't notify him of your presence. I always say "on your left" and you should too.
Old 09-13-21, 02:14 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I'd say 90% their fault, 10% your fault. Unless there is evidence to the contrary, I assume everyone that I pass is a complete moron and announce my passing.
I also assume every car is going to do some thing stupid. I should know, cause I drive one. Many people are annoyed by "on your left", so I rephrase that to "I'm coming up behind you" as I slow down. On busy days, I rarely use the bike paths. As far as the accident, you just have to anticipate.
Old 09-13-21, 02:20 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Coming up on a bench, the rider ahead of me moved to the right and slowed down. I moved left. I expected the rider was stopping, but rather hung a U-turn without signaling and without looking back. The rider saw me and panicked but did not stop. I panicked and braked, but we collided and both of us went down.
It's 100% their fault.

Look at it like it's a car:
1. You are driving straight, in your lane, on a 4 line highway.
2. A car in front of you suddenly pulls itself into your lane without looking - causing a collision.

There's no situation where you can change lanes without looking (in open road with no traffic signals), cause an accident, and expect other people to be responsible because they didn't "anticipate" your reckless behavior.

The person changing lanes - is always responsible for checking that the lane they are moving into - is free.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-13-21 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
It's 100% their fault.

Look at it like it's a car:
Classic question begging. A MUP is not a road, and a bike is not a car. The rules are not the same.

And if you insist on making a car comparison, passing without announcing would be a bit like driving with your headlights off at night. You're not doing the primary thing people do to warn people ahead of them of their presence.

No one is saying that the Uturn bicyclist wasn't wrong, but this is a two-wrongs don't make a right situation.
Old 09-13-21, 03:00 PM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is there a special hand signal for a U-turn? Do you hold your arm in a 90 degree bend (whichever arm depends on if you are going right or left) and twirl your hand in a circle?
Old 09-13-21, 03:17 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I wish people posting in this thread would stop referring to all MUP users (other than the poster and his friends) as morons or idiots. They're precisely as smart as the people complaining here. They're out there on the trail to relax and have fun. Some of them may use the MUP exclusively for walking or riding because they find roadways intimidating, with good reason. Why expect them to know what "On your left!" means, especially when they hear it when the poster is only three seconds away from passing?

(FYI for the would-be non-idiots and non-morons here: the use of "On your left!" originated in the US in the 1970s, during the growth of cycling in the first bike boom, and is still used almost exclusively by people with group cycling experience. I never expect a casual rider or a walker to know what the phrase signifies, and I have an opinion about those cyclists who unaccountably expect universal recognition of the rights that they think the use of the phrase confers.)

To the complainers; lower your expectations. Constantly complaining about things that will not change is pointless. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with in a bike store. After his 15th complaint that day about stupid questions from people calling the store, I lost it and said, "The reason it never bothers me is that I'm used to it, since I'm always surrounded by people dumber than I am, whereas you . . . . "

Last edited by Trakhak; 09-13-21 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-13-21, 03:26 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts

TIA.
Blame to share here, but I think making a U turn without signalling AND looking back is pretty inexcusable.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 09-13-21, 04:11 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Classic question begging. A MUP is not a road, and a bike is not a car. The rules are not the same.
They're not inherently different either.
The person changing lanes is responsible for making sure the lane they're moving into is clear before moving into it.

And if you insist on making a car comparison, passing without announcing would be a bit like driving with your headlights off at night.
This "sorta like it" situation doesn't seem to apply here. They did not check the lane and didn't see them because it was night and they didn't have lights.
They just broke both the legal and moral rules by moving into the lane without looking whether they could do so safely first.

No one is saying that the Uturn bicyclist wasn't wrong, but this is a two-wrongs don't make a right situation.
"no one is saying" somehow consistently means "lots of people are saying this, in this very thread". I don't know why people make this claim.

From a "you're not technically required to but it's a good idea for safety" point of view I'm not seeing what the OP could have done differently without putting others in danger or acting obnoxiously on the trail. I don't usually shout at people who are stopped at a bench as it tends to be taken as aggressive and obnoxious rather than being safe.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-13-21 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 04:36 PM
Nick Payne

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some years ago a friend of ours who worked at the Australian National University here in Canberra was getting some lunchtime exercise with a bike ride along the shore of the lake. As she was overtaking a runner he looked down at his wrist and suddenly did a U-turn, resulting in them colliding and both falling. He picked himself up, looked at her accusingly, and said: "This is my 20 minute point, I always turn here".
Old 09-13-21, 05:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

They're not inherently different either.
The person changing lanes is responsible for making sure the lane they're moving into is clear before moving into it.

This "sorta like it" situation doesn't seem to apply here. They did not check the lane and didn't see them because it was night and they didn't have lights.
They just broke both the legal and moral rules by moving into the lane without looking whether they could do so safely first.

"no one is saying" somehow consistently means "lots of people are saying this, in this very thread". I don't know why people make this claim.

From a "you're not technically required to but it's a good idea for safety" point of view I'm not seeing what the OP could have done differently without putting others in danger or acting obnoxiously on the trail. I don't usually shout at people who are stopped at a bench as it tends to be taken as aggressive and obnoxious rather than being safe.

Go ahead, quote one post in this thread that says the uturn cyclist did nothing wrong. I checked, there aren't any.

Illinois law required the op to announce. It's not legally optional, and your belief that it's obnoxious is rather eccentric. Also, no one was on the bench. I learned a long time ago that people meandering a bit is often the most dangerous situation because it's when people are most likely to act like they're on a regular sidewalk.

Sorry, I have little sympathy for complaints about incidents like this from people who don't announce--it's completely predictable that things like this are going to happen when you sneak up on people.
Old 09-13-21, 06:21 PM
PaulRivers

Go ahead, quote one post in this thread that says the uturn cyclist did nothing wrong. I checked, there aren't any.
I understand you're a habitual liar.

Don't have to go more than 10 posts up:
/22228207-post160.html
WinterCommuter: Sorry to say, but it’s your fault.

It's the responsibility of the person changing lanes to check first that it's safe to do so.
If you're charging back and forth across the trail without looking, thinking everyone has to look out for you while you don't have to think about them, don't be shocked when you get hit and run over.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-13-21 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 07:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I understand you're a habitual liar.

Don't have to go more than 10 posts up:
/22228207-post160.html
WinterCommuter: Sorry to say, but it’s your fault.

It's the responsibility of the person changing lanes to check first that it's safe to do so.
If you're charging back and forth across the trail without looking, thinking everyone has to look out for you while you don't have to think about them, don't be shocked when you get hit and run over.

Nice try, but now you're lying. I said no one said the Uturn did nothing wrong. Obviously, I and a lot of people on this thread attribute some or all of the blame for the crash on OP's failure to announce. If you know anything about tort law, it may actually be the but for cause.

That quote says nothing about the uturner not doing anything wrong. I again defy you to find anyone on this thread who claims it's ok to turn into a lane without looking.

The whole fault question is a red herring, btw. You really want to delve into our disagreement, I challenge you to defend your case against announcing. Your objections to it are really ridiculous.
Old 09-13-21, 08:00 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Feelgood1
I think Garmin computers should have a bell feature. Press a button and it rings a loud bell so you don't have to yell every time "on your left!!"
I was thinking of an app where you could yell, ‘Hey Siri, Ring Bell!’ and it would ring a bell sound in any Bluetooth headsets nearby. Some MUP users have their music so loud they don’t hear a thing going on around them.
Old 09-13-21, 09:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I was thinking of an app where you could yell, ‘Hey Siri, Ring Bell!’ and it would ring a bell sound in any Bluetooth headsets nearby. Some MUP users have their music so loud they don’t hear a thing going on around them.
Bluetooth doesn't work that way. No one would want it to work that way.
Old 09-13-21, 11:04 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
(MUP users are) out there on the trail to relax and have fun. Some of them may use the MUP exclusively for walking or riding because they find roadways intimidating, with good reason. Why expect them to know what "On your left!" means, especially when they hear it when the poster is only three seconds away from passing?
^ This.

MUP user myself, most of the time, where they occur.

Plenty of MUPs near where I live. And most people don't seem to readily "get" the language used. In my own experience, they tend to be surprised by the warning call (whatever it is they imagine was said), then all too frequently jet to one side in fear of being struck.

By far, the safest technique I've been able to employ is: allowing a good 5-7+ seconds prior to ever coming near a person on the MUP, if passing them where they're currently unaware I'm approaching, and not actually passing until they've had sufficient time to register and "settle" into a straight and sane path along the MUP. Rushing upon a person who's looking away then shouting something (even "On your left" or "I'm passing on your left") often doesn't allow a person sufficient time to do anything but react badly to an oncoming collision they fear.

The occasional MUP near me has serious, brightly-painted lane lines dividing the flow of traffic on the MUP, and these seem to be somewhat safer with far fewer people playing the part of the dolt with the head in the clouds. But the narrow, unmarked MUPs where I'm hoping the person won't do the unconscionable seem the worst. It's generally safer on the right hand side of the street, with those "bad" (narrow, unmarked) MUPs.

Of course, then there are the frequent people who demand to walk in the narrow street area instead of the MUP twelve feet away that's designed to keep them safe. As if that makes them safer. (Had a handful of those a few weeks back, sad to say. And their utter indignation at being asked to use the MUP and not clog traffic wasn't taken well by a couple of them.)

Takes all kinds.
Old 09-13-21, 11:28 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Every bike should be Factory equipped with a proximity sensor that rings a bell, honks a horn and shots loudly "I AM APPROACHING YOU TO PASS YOU SO STAY OUT OF MY WAY"

Would like to see the WRITTEN STATUTE mentioning that the overtaking bicycle rider MUST ANNOUNCE. Pretty cool if that was the "RULES OF THE ROAD" for vehicles. Here a HONK, There a HONK, everywhere a HONK-HONK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.