Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle for female

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle for female

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 08:57 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Saddle for female

My wife and I are both new to road cycling and took our first actual ride today. It was awesome except for my wife getting a little sore on her inner thigh. She was wearing padded bike shorts but the seat is still bothering her there. The shop set her up with a pretty well padded seat but it is also a bit thicker at the front. My wife is tall and slender. Any suggestions on saddles or is this something she will get used to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4780.jpg (972.4 KB, 329 views)
IMG_4781.jpg (1,022.9 KB, 329 views)
IMG_4782.jpg (965.0 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 07-14-21 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 09:20 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The combination of padded nose of the saddle and padded shorts may be too much padding in the wrong place.

Specialized makes a variety of saddles in 2 or three different widths. Our local shop didn't have loaners but there was a 30 day return period as long as the saddle was in good condition. We tried 6 or 7 saddles over two months until we found style and width that worked well for us.

Saddles are very individual kind of like hiking boots.

Edit: The only irritation/pain you should have to get used to is the pressure on your sit bones. Anything else is an indicator of a problem.
Likes For Stick69:
Old 02-10-18, 10:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Went through a similar ordeal with my wife-- there have been at least half a dozen saddles bolted ot her bike over the past two years. I finally just gave up and bought her a Selle Anatomica NSX and called it a day. They're expensive and the looks are not for everyone, but I've yet to find a person that finds them uncomfortable. I've got better than 15,000 miles between the Selles on my bikes.
Old 02-10-18, 11:00 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
My wife has the Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow saddle and likes it: https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-s.../10774729.html
Old 02-10-18, 11:28 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
My wife and I are both new to cycling and took our first actual ride today. It was awesome except for my wife getting a little sore on her inner thigh. She was wearing padded bike shorts but the seat is still bothering her there. The shop set her up with a pretty well padded seat but it is also a bit thicker at the front. My wife is tall and slender. Any suggestions on saddles or is this something she will get used to?
Saddles are the most personal part of a bike. And being new to cycling, your wife will most likely go through several saddles before finding one that works for her. Try Terry saddles, I have had good luck recommending these for women over the years.

World's Most Comfortable Bike Saddles & Seats | Terry
Old 02-10-18, 11:35 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
It's going to take some time actually riding to determine what the issue(s) could be. Fit, clothing, and in general just getting used to a new form of exercise, all play a part in comfort while riding. But, should a new saddle be necessary, as a woman I second the Sella Italia Diva (should cost around $110-$120 depending on where you shop).
Old 02-10-18, 11:42 AM
texascyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Diva worked for my wife as well
Old 02-10-18, 11:48 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm a girl kitty, and looking at that saddle I'm already in pain! That much padding would destroy me.

For ladies, something with a bit less stuff in the middle can be helpful (think about it). There are saddles with cutouts (like the Terry and Diva Flow mentioned above), and others that lack cutouts but accomplish the same thing (like the older Fizik models - I'm a fan of the now discontinued Donna, and have one on two of my bikes.)

One other thing to keep in mind is that women's sit bones come in various widths, and it's helpful to have an idea of how wide one's sit bones are in order to fit a saddle. Some companies make women's saddles for different sit bone widths. It sounds like your wife might do well with one designed for narrower ladies, which is also likely to rub less on the thighs.

As others have mentioned, saddles are personal, and it might take a few tries. I encourage you not to go cheap, because the right saddle can make all the difference between a good ride and a painfest.
Old 02-10-18, 01:08 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Brooks England Women's Cambium C17 S Saddle

Wiggle | Brooks England Women's Cambium C17 S Saddle | Performance Saddles

Old 02-10-18, 04:15 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
General statement that I think applies to men and women.
With the right seat - less padding is better.

The right seat will be different. It varies for men and women. How you tilt also varies.

Here is a cheap trick. To start sit on a concrete floor, legs in front. For most, the sit bones will hit the floor and you can feel where the contact is. You can the sit on a wet wash cloth, then the floor and sometimes (this kinda works) get an imprint you can measure.

The seat should be supporting about there - a little narrower. I think the middle cut-outs are the way to go.

But you have to try seats. Dump the padding in both the seat and shorts for testing. Once the fit is right, nothing wrong with a slightly thicker pad, but not thinking there is much good either.

Edit Add: Fit changes over time. Due to power, having kids, age. Those Brooks folks (like me) may tell you they have used the same saddle for 40 years, but the saddle adapts. I jumped on my 30 year old Brooks and it fits different than my current one. I'm a guy. My wife, changed with kids. My female tandem partner - no kids changed less. All obvious stuff, but I saw it in selection. I have a bucket of used saddles. Just how it goes.

Last edited by Doge; 02-10-18 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 04:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
That Diva Gel Flow looks to be a version of my C2 Gel Flow that I have but haven't used. Maybe I should give it a try.
Old 02-10-18, 04:36 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Cycling weekly just did a segment on seat fitting

Can this system pick the best saddle for you? | Cycling Weekly

Not sure what shops might have this available but may be something of interest.
Old 02-10-18, 04:39 PM
Doge

The Shimano Stealth is a great saddle (bike is hanging - sorry for the angle). They do not have a Men's and Women's version - just different width. I bought the wider for me as my butt is so large, but it was too wide as my bone are not - back to the Brooks leather for me.

My wife tried it and loves it. Wife has 30+ years of riding, but was recently complaining more about a saddle she was happy with the last 20 years.

20180210_142845.jpg
Old 02-10-18, 04:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fizik https://www.fizik.com/us_en/women.html
Old 02-10-18, 05:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I ride a men's Brooks B17 ... have them on all my bicycles.
Old 02-10-18, 05:49 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
As others have said there is no perfect saddle that works for everyone. With that said......... I have fit many many women to their bikes and I have found the Terry Butterfly to be a very popular go to saddle for many of our female riders.
Old 02-10-18, 05:53 PM
edle65

Bikes: Colnago Extreme - C, Scott Addict, Storck Aerfast

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice Colnago there, do both of you have Colnagos?
Old 02-10-18, 06:57 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
The Shimano Stealth is a great saddle (bike is hanging - sorry for the angle). They do not have a Men's and Women's version - just different width. I bought the wider for me as my butt is so large, but it was too wide as my bone are not - back to the Brooks leather for me.

My wife tried it and loves it. Wife has 30+ years of riding, but was recently complaining more about a saddle she was happy with the last 20 years.

Attachment 598967
Just need another 45 degrees on that photo for TrekMogul.
Old 02-10-18, 07:04 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Dean V
Just need another 45 degrees on that photo for TrekMogul.
The last thing you want on that is correct orientation. The bike is hanging.
Old 02-11-18, 02:31 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Originally Posted by edle65
Nice Colnago there, do both of you have Colnagos?
She has the Colgago. I bought a Cannondale Synapse Carbon. We got them both used, with the help from the folks on this forum.
Old 02-11-18, 02:37 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Thanks everyone. Some great information on here. It seems like the stand outs to try are the Brooks, Selle and Specialized seats. I think I will go look on eBay and see if there are any of them out there used. It would seem with all the folks on a quest for the right saddle, there would be some used available. If not, I'll probably try the Selle first. I live close to the factory so maybe a trip there is in order? I bet they could get my wife on the right seat...Looking at the map, it is about an hour away.
Old 02-11-18, 07:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Yarbrough, go to your local bike shop and see what loaner saddles they might have.

Fizik usually has a loaner system for shops. Also, many shops offer 30-day money back guarantees, so you can try a saddle and return it if she doesn't like it. Performance Bike and REI have good return policies.
Old 02-11-18, 08:07 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yarbrough, go to your local bike shop and see what loaner saddles they might have.

Fizik usually has a loaner system for shops. Also, many shops offer 30-day money back guarantees, so you can try a saddle and return it if she doesn't like it. Performance Bike and REI have good return policies.
Thanks. Not sure if I mentioned but, I live in Italy. I will check out the local shops and see if they do anything like this here.
Old 02-11-18, 03:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
The Terry Butterfly is popular with the women in my group.
Old 02-11-18, 07:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My wife also likes her Selle Diva. Best saddle she's ever used and she's been through a number of them. I have their MAN saddle and love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.