Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring on a Penny Farthing?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-30-19, 02:26 AM
FlippinFlags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I know this guy went around the world on one.. maybe the second and only person ever to do it besides a guy in the 1800's..?

https://www.instagram.com/joff_summerfield/?hl=en

Anyone ever toured short or long distances on one?
Old 10-30-19, 04:10 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by FlippinFlags
I know this guy went around the world on one.. maybe the second and only person ever to do it besides a guy in the 1800's..?

https://www.instagram.com/joff_summerfield/?hl=en

Anyone ever toured short or long distances on one?
I recently quoted to a Railroad cycling disaster thread on the Advocacy & Safety Forum:
Originally Posted by jitenshajin
...I remember reading about Thomas Stevens, born 1854 in Hertfordshire, England. He was the first person to circle the globe by bicycle. He rode a large-wheeled Ordinary, commonly known as a penny-farthing, from April 1884 to December 1886. This made him the world’s first ever bicycle touring adventurist and one that traveled it in a very impressive way…

https://kickasstrips.com/2013/07/tho...thing-in-1885/

The tales of his exploits can be read in two volumes which are free to download in several formats at Gutenburg.org, Entitled "Around the World by Bicycle - Volumes 1 & 2."

Books by Stevens, Thomas (sorted by popularity) - Project Gutenberg
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Years ago I read the first volume, of his trip across the US. I specifically recall he was certainly a man of his times. He carried a revolver, and once referred to an Asian man as “John Chinaman.” :

One memorable description was riding on a trestle railroad bridge, and as a train approached he had to hang on underneath dangling his penny-farthing bicycle.
My only personal experience with one of those contraptions was:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My first century, actually a double, was in 1971...After a few laps into the ride, at the main gate, a rider on a penny-farthing was dismounting, fell, and taco’ed my wheel. I don’t think he even apologized.

My mother was able to go buy me a new wheel and drove through the traffic maze to the island, which was obviously congested by all the riders, and delivered a new one in about three hours, so I did finish...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-30-19 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-30-19, 06:02 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think any regular poster on here has. There is a famous journal on CGOAB of a guy who was touring on one in Mexico. He got robbed in the middle of nowhere and thought he was going to get murdered. The dudes stole his gear but not the bike, presumably because they had no idea how to ride it. Terrifying story. Didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of Mexico though.

I think touring on a penny farthing is cool in that kind of live outside the box way, but it doesn't appeal to me. I've heard that the tires are a big drawback as there are no pneumatic tires available in that size, so you're just riding on solid rubber. No bueno over long distances and/or bad roads.
Old 10-30-19, 07:31 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
People today may tour on a penny-farthing but Thomas Stevens back in the 1880s didn't, he toured on a bicycle. The clue is in the title of his book 'Around the World on a Bicycle'.
Old 10-30-19, 11:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
People today may tour on a penny-farthing but Thomas Stevens back in the 1880s didn't, he toured on a bicycle. The clue is in the title of his book 'Around the World on a Bicycle'.
Was that a joke, or are you unaware that what we now call a "penny-farthing" was just... a "bicycle" back then?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-30-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 11:49 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by DanBell
I don't think any regular poster on here has. There is a famous journal on CGOAB of a guy who was touring on one in Mexico. He got robbed in the middle of nowhere and thought he was going to get murdered. The dudes stole his gear but not the bike, presumably because they had no idea how to ride it. Terrifying story. Didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of Mexico though.

I think touring on a penny farthing is cool in that kind of live outside the box way, but it doesn't appeal to me. I've heard that the tires are a big drawback as there are no pneumatic tires available in that size, so you're just riding on solid rubber. No bueno over long distances and/or bad roads.
A former poster to C&V liked to tour and do RAGBRAIs on one. Can't remember his handle now.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-30-19, 12:29 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Was that a joke, or are you unaware that what we now call a "penny-farthing" was just... a "bicycle" back then?
"Just a bicycle" ?

It was the bicycle of that era. Call it a 'high-wheeler' if you will but to Thomas Stevens it was a 'bicycle'.

This is no joking matter
Old 10-30-19, 01:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

"Just a bicycle" ?

It was the bicycle of that era. Call it a 'high-wheeler' if you will but to Thomas Stevens it was a 'bicycle'.

This is no joking matter
Heh, I get your drift now.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-30-19, 01:22 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
looks like painful touring, similar to pogo stick
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 10-30-19, 03:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
so Mr FF, where you live, have you ever seen a Penny Farthing?
Have you ever seen one being ridden?

Dont know about you, but I figure Ive seen more shooting stars or lightning strikes than a Penny Farthing.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-30-19, 03:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
It's often said that you can go touring on any bike. I reckon that includes penny farthings.

Not that I'd recommend a penny farthing. That's mostly a stunt, IMHO, and unless you really enjoy riding one, I'd suggest riding something more modern.

Oh, and somebody hit the news in the last couple years for doing a cross-country ride on a unicycle. Obviously it can be done, since somebody did it. I wouldn't recommend that, either.
Old 10-31-19, 05:05 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Heres a pic of one used for touring I spotted mention of in a local Australian forum.

https://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/image/59771333
Likes For rifraf:
Old 10-31-19, 06:48 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Heres a pic of one used for touring I spotted mention of in a local Australian forum.

https://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/image/59771333
That's Joff who's back touring again on his penny currently doing the NC500 in Scotland.
There's a few guys in our club who have their own penny farthing but they mainly use them for racing.
They don't climb hills well and as I've never ridden one with brakes, they are terrifying on downhills.
If you were hoping to attract lots of attention for a fundraising and you're a masochist then go for it.
A good Penny Farthing isn't cheap though and prices are between $3000 - $6000 AUD.
https://www.pennyfarthingdan.com.au/...penny-farthing
https://www.facebook.com/johnkitchenbicycles/
Old 10-31-19, 07:12 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
If you are looking for a dangerous uncomfortable challenge, the coolness factor is high and I actually considered it at one time. There is a reason they were phased out though. There is a reason they and other designs of the time were called bone shakers. There is also a reason their replacement was called the "safety bicycle". Going over the bars on one would be really ugly. The ride with a solid tire would be brutal even mitigated a bit with the large diameter wheel.

I bet they are a huge attention getter. I'd imagine everyone wants to talk to you when you are touring on one.
Old 10-31-19, 07:26 AM
djb

I've seen the pith helmet guy on the net for a while now, but let's face it, the bicycles themselves are rarer than hen's teeth, and having ridden one, I can attest to it being terrifying on downhills.
I'm up to challenges and some risks, but touring on one, let alone just riding one on varying terrain, is pretty damn mad.
Old 10-31-19, 07:33 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
GCN makes fun of one of their contributors after he rode Penny Farthing at some indoor event and then squealed like an injured puppy because his 'ball area' hurt like hell. They show the clip once in a while. After I saw this I took a note and committed it to my memory bank :-)

I think this is the video:

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 10-31-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 08:02 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A few years ago there were two penny farthings in the Bristol 4th of July Parade. They certainly are attention getters and were highly popular with the crowd.
Old 10-31-19, 08:30 AM
djb

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
GCN makes fun of one of their contributors after he rode Penny Farthing at some indoor event and then squealed like an injured puppy because his 'ball area' hurt like hell. They show the clip once in a while. After I saw this I took a note and committed it to my memory bank :-)

I think this is the video:
first , he was riding "balls out" for an hour (thats a real expression, it means really going for it), but most importantly, the seat apparently broke part way and so was not ideal for the poor guys undercarriage....
Old 10-31-19, 12:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
This seldom comes up on various cycling boards without argumentative posts opining 'they're just bicycles', 'they're called high wheelers', 'most folks know them as penny-farthings' or 'the proper term is ordinary'. Whatever.

Interestingly, there seems to be some snobbery on the part of some cyclers who ride original machines towards those who ride modern built high wheelers/penny-farthings/ordinaries. Nothing like taking a tiny demographic and splintering it.

Modern reproductions come out of Bolwell's in Australia, Mesicek in the Czech Republic, RBR in California, Richards in England and Standard in Sweden. UDC offers a relatively modest priced modern interpretation in their MK4:

Last edited by tcs; 11-03-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 12:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

I dunno. Kinda looks fun:

There's a cat in Europe who's ridden L'Eroica events on one.

Last edited by tcs; 11-03-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 01:00 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by tcs
This seldom comes up on various cycling boards without argumentative posts opining 'they're just bicycles', 'they're called high wheelers', 'most folks know them as penny-farthings' or 'the proper term is ordinary'. Whatever.

Interestingly, there seems to be some snobbery on the part of some cyclers who ride original machines towards those who ride modern built high wheelers/penny-farthings/ordinaries. Nothing like taking a tiny demographic and splintering it.
When there wasn't a two-wheel alternative (1870s to mid-1880s) they were known as bicycles then at the end of the 1880s with the introduction of the 'safety' they were known as 'ordinaries' to distinguish them from their more diminutive cousins. The term 'penny-farthing' didn't come into vogue until the 1890s.

"If genuine comfort is desired nothing can beat the tricycle. If the roads are stony, rutty and hilly. perhaps the Safety, though more liable to get out of order, it is the best, and for short tours by daylight, on fairly level roads, many prefer the Ordinary"
From the 'The Art & Pastime of Cycling'

Old 10-31-19, 07:35 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 985 Posts
There's someone in the local area who rides one down along the local beach bikepaths, especially on summer weekends. Looks like it has a 4 ft diameter wheel, not one of those bigger ones. I know they make 'em with 36" wheels (a shop in Berkeley or Oakland, California), but never had a chance to ride on myself. They look like a fun novelty, but not too practical for touring
Old 11-01-19, 05:34 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I suppose I'm lucky enough to have seen many Penny Farthings. thewheelmen.org held their annual meet here in eastern Pennsylvania (Westchester,PA) a couple of years ago. I was on the Schuylkill River Trail on their tour day. I saw some awesome bikes. All of them made prior to 1933. Down into Philly, around Fairmont Park and back to Valley Forge I easily saw 15 to 20 Ordinaries. Lost count due to seeing some more than once. When talking to a few of them I learned that "80% of them were original" and most of them were riding 50 mile routes or a full 100. Pretty impressive. Even kids on small ones. They have national club meets somewhere in the country each year.

I rode a bit with one older gentleman on a "safety bicycle" and asked how old his bike was. "My father bought this bike in 1907." He was on the 50 mile route with his daughter.
Old 11-01-19, 06:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I dunno. Kinda looks fun:
Yeah, it really does. I confess to still harboring an interest that I continue to resist. It is kind of tempting to think about buying a replica like the UDC.

As far as touring on one goes. Shipping one to and from a tour location seems like it would present some extra challenges given the large box size. Wheel size is determined by rider inseam so I'd probably be on a 48" wheel. That would mean that the box would likely be 105-110" (l+h+w). My ultralight backpacking gear would on one hand seem incongruent with it and on the other be perfect for ease of carrying.
Old 11-01-19, 11:17 AM
tcs
Palmer

When there wasn't a two-wheel alternative (1870s to mid-1880s) they were known as bicycles...
Fun fact: All two- and three-wheel pedal cycles were referred to as 'velocipedes' at the US patent office from the 1860s until well into the 1920s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.