Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Detour 3 vs Route 2

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-26-20, 12:42 PM
Sunman54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Both of these are on sale on the Raleigh website and only $5 apart from each other. Trying to decide one over the other. My riding will be paved trails (80%) and occasional grass/off road flat trails (20%). Not extensive long rides. Just the same as everyone else today. Out for exercise and fun. Being that they are website shipped I cannot try them out but don't see that as an impediment. I'm 65 and in good shape. Pro/Cons either of the two. I wanted to stay around $500 but did not want to purchase junk.
Old 04-26-20, 06:33 PM
MemRiverman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is all peraonal preference but I am 67 and enjoy a little more upright ride. If you are the same get the Det 3.
Old 05-04-20, 05:12 AM
jharmon203

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have a local bike shop where you can test both of them out? Or perhaps similar models?
Old 05-05-20, 07:37 PM
Emmang

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunman54
Both of these are on sale on the Raleigh website and only $5 apart from each other. Trying to decide one over the other. My riding will be paved trails (80%) and occasional grass/off road flat trails (20%). Not extensive long rides. Just the same as everyone else today. Out for exercise and fun. Being that they are website shipped I cannot try them out but don't see that as an impediment. I'm 65 and in good shape. Pro/Cons either of the two. I wanted to stay around $500 but did not want to purchase junk.
Just purchased Detour 3 Step-Thru for wife. I’ll let you know what we think...It’s being delivered this week.
Old 05-06-20, 06:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Since you are buying online, you can't really inspect fit/finish of both bikes (personal fit is what I recommend focusing on the most). Turning to the components side, and what you get for what you pay, the Detour 3 (currently $560 on their website) gets you an aluminum frame and fork, a 3x9 drivetrain, and rim brakes. There probably are better values in the bike world in terms of the equipment you're getting, but it's all quality stuff. The Route 2 (currently $520 on their website) gets you an aluminum frame with a Suntour NVX 75mm lock-out fork (probably one of the better hybrid forks on the market), a 3x8 drivetrain, and mechanical disc brakes. You also get larger tires (47mm vs. 42mm) on the Route 2.

I'd probably favor the Route 2 because of the known clearance for larger tires and the fact that it comes with disc brakes. Cable-operated disc brakes are usually only marginal, but the shift and brake levers on this bike are separate, and you could very easily swap the brakes for hydraulic brakes (without changing anything else). That'd bring the brakes up from marginal to pretty dang good. Even if you don't need the braking power, hydraulic disc brakes are just a pleasure to use.

Both bikes are good bikes here, if not class-leading values. Based on components and equipment alone, I'd favor the Route 2.