Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

At what point do you give up on drop bars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

At what point do you give up on drop bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 05:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Irode my Serotta with the early '90s STI 50 miles yesterday with this conversation in mind. When I'm riding the hoods, my hands are firmly wrapped around the levers and my thumb is behind the hood. There's no reaching for the brakes because my fingers are resting across the levers. Operating is just a matter of squeezing. I think people here are misdescribing the hand position, it's not straight across, it's diagonal.

Also, I compared to braking from the drops. There's essentially no significant difference, my fingers are at approximately a right angle to the brake lever on the drpps, maybe 75-80 degrees from the hoods.

​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-21, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by chaadster
Geez, it’s so obvious that the hoods are neither ideal for braking nor grip that I’d have thought it didn’t even merit mentioning.

I don’t have the longest fingers, but they’re not short, and I find it awfully sketchy to be bombing down a rough, bumpy road, trying to control the front end while two fingers are on the brake levers trying to generate braking force. I think that’s true for most folks, that when the going is rough and fast, the drops are the place to be because you can wrap the bars securely with two or three fingers and thumb, and have a finger on the end of the lever for maximum leverage and braking force.

The assertion that I was arguing with was that people who don't ride the drops should get bullhorns. Given what you say above, I don't think you'd agree with the bullhorn only strategy.

I'm still puzzled by this because I've never had a problem controlling the bike and braking from the hoods, and I've bombed down some pretty bumpy hills doing so. I really don't get how people are having so much trouble with their hood grips. Maybe you're just doing it wrong?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-21, 11:25 AM
olddcarnutjag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride up a mountain into the wind, the mountains, funnel the trade winds. I work at sealevel, but I live at 2000 meters,
I get on the drops and my road bike has a mountain bike cassette. Warning on the drops, going to work, I have seen 65 mph.
Old 08-30-21, 11:31 AM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
OK, so I grew up with BMX bikes and later rode mountain bikes. It really wasn't until last year that I spent any time with drop bars, and I find myself just NOT getting along with them. I wonder if I'm just too old, too fat and too set in my ways to get along with them.
On my vintage Bianchi I finally swapped out the old-style drops for some Soma Highway Ones, and that did make a huge difference there. At least now I find I'm riding on my palms instead of the heel of my hand, so it's *way* more comfortable. But I'm still pretty much never on the drops.
At what point do I just decide that drops just ain't for me? I mean, there are plenty of other handlebars out there that will give you multiple hand positions, and if you're not using the drops, why bother with them? I could just throw some bullhorns on or something.
Mustache bars a good choice. Anything that puts you too far back/upright will place weight on your butt (painful) and move the weight distribution rearward in general. If you go for mountain bike style bars, avoid all those heroic 4 to 6 degree bends; that's an unnatural hand position and even less elder friendly than drops/hoods. You can test that by holding a pencil in each hand with arms out in front to approximate riding position. Where do the wrists naturally align? For me that's over 12 degrees of sweep. Fit a stem with reach that maintains a reasonable weight balance between hands and butt (also front and rear wheels).
Old 08-30-21, 11:31 AM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
This setup is similar to the one I have - and love!
When returning to regular cycling I realized my body just wasn't going to be able to bend as much as when I was younger. If I wasn't comfortable I wasn't going to want to ride, and that was the point. So I went with flat bars and the inner SQ-like thingys. I don't ride fast enough to need the lower "drops" position and now I have all the options and variation I need for a comfortable ride.
Likes For TheRealDrPhil:
Old 08-30-21, 11:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Irode my Serotta with the early '90s STI 50 miles yesterday with this conversation in mind. When I'm riding the hoods, my hands are firmly wrapped around the levers and my thumb is behind the hood. There's no reaching for the brakes because my fingers are resting across the levers. Operating is just a matter of squeezing. I think people here are misdescribing the hand position, it's not straight across, it's diagonal.

Also, I compared to braking from the drops. There's essentially no significant difference, my fingers are at approximately a right angle to the brake lever on the drpps, maybe 75-80 degrees from the hoods.

​​​​​
Exactly. For years, my main bike had the very first brifters, the 7400 series Dura Ace, which I rode mostly on the hoods, and never found braking from there to be an issue. They were designed for riding mostly on the hoods, so Shimano engineered the leverage into them.

By contrast, the non-aero levers on my two 1982 bikes have terrible leverage from the hoods, largely because while from the drops you're pulling the lever straight back, from the hoods you're mostly pushing the lever toward the bar. Even late-80s aero levers give you a lot more leverage.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-30-21, 11:46 AM
essdub

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
And if I remember right, we were always told we were supposed to set up the bars with the straight part at the bottom of the drop parallel to the ground. Thus the hoods would be pointing down.... But I don't remember "on the hoods" even being considered a rideable position in those days. My first road bike had some sort of sharp aluminum brake levers and it would have been supremely uncomfortable to put my hands there.
Issue may very well be the bar itself. Old style bars sloped away from the rider ending in a flat bottom, hoods were down the curve.
new bars are flat on top with a smaller radius curve and still ending with a flat bottom. the hoods with be horizontal on the new style bars but never the old.
Old 08-30-21, 11:47 AM
JohnnyTrek88
grinder

Bikes: 1985 Miyata 210, 1988 Trek 400T, 2004 Trek 7500, 2013 Diamondback Steilacoom CCX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dropping the drops

OK, so I grew up with BMX bikes and later rode mountain bikes. It really wasn't until last year that I spent any time with drop bars, and I find myself just NOT getting along with them. I wonder if I'm just too old, too fat and too set in my ways to get along with them.

On my vintage Bianchi I finally swapped out the old-style drops for some Soma Highway Ones, and that did make a huge difference there. At least now I find I'm riding on my palms instead of the heel of my hand, so it's *way* more comfortable. But I'm still pretty much never on the drops.

And now I have this old Trek 520, and I find myself again not getting along with the vintage-style bars. And again, I'm riding on the heels of my hand, which is just a recipe for pain. I could adjust them a bit, or I could get another set of Highway Ones, but I still don't know if I'd ever actually get into the drops.

Do I need to just power through and force myself onto the drops until I see the advantages? At what point do I just decide that drops just ain't for me? I mean, there are plenty of other handlebars out there that will give you multiple hand positions, and if you're not using the drops, why bother with them? I could just throw some bullhorns on or something.
I went through the same decision process and dropped the drop bars on my Diamondback cyclocross bike. I seldom rode it, preferring my Trek MultiTrack, mostly due to riding position. The Diamondback is lighter and more nimble so i spent $100 on bars, brake levers and shifters. It was a fun project that didn’t take very long and You Tube has plenty of helpful videos.
It’s my favorite bike now and i wasn’t riding it because i wasn’t comfortable on it. I seldom ride over 20mph so wind resistance is not a factor sitting more upright.
Old 08-30-21, 12:23 PM
72 Colnago

Bikes: '72 Colnago Super, Ibis Ripley 29, Cervelo S1, '00 Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, this is a big part of what I'm dealing with... vintage-style drops. On my Nishiki, I gave up and put bullhorns. On the Bianchi, the swap to highway ones brought it more into line with the top image. Phenomenally more comfortable on the hoods, but I still don't find myself on the drops, pretty much ever.

Which brings me to the current bike, the trek, also sporting vintage-style drops. I can clock the bars up to be flatter and make riding the hoods pretty comfortable. But when I do so, the drops are now at a ~30 degree angle and don't seem particularly useful, even if I were inclined to use them.

I could install more modern drops, which I know I like more, but I still don't have any reason to believe I'd use the drops. I don't on the Bianchi.

I don't think this is a fit question. I've been pondering this across 3 bikes, using multiple bars and stems. I can get comfortable with the bars, but I can't seem to make the dropped position make sense to me.
Droppers look cool, I never use the drop but have them turned up so the horns are comfortable. Thats all you need to do.
Old 08-30-21, 12:38 PM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

And now I have this old Trek 520, and I find myself again not getting along with the vintage-style bars. And again, I'm riding on the heels of my hand, which is just a recipe for pain. I could adjust them a bit, or I could get another set of Highway Ones, but I still don't know if I'd ever actually get into the drops.

Do I need to just power through and force myself onto the drops until I see the advantages? At what point do I just decide that drops just ain't for me? I mean, there are plenty of other handlebars out there that will give you multiple hand positions, and if you're not using the drops, why bother with them? I could just throw some bullhorns on or something.
Hi there, you might want to try using drop handle bar type that has flat part on top. Flat top type is more comfortable on hands because it's wider so your palm of the hands will have more surface to rest on.
Old 08-30-21, 12:42 PM
rrjmaier

Bikes: Koga-Miyata Traveller, Specialized Roubaix, Brompton folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
After realizing that I never use the drops for more than a few minutes ina 6 to 8 h ride, I moved away from drops on my touring bike and use a flat handlebar with mountain bike type shifters (deore 11 speed) but have also installed some short bull horn extensions. When in need of speed or head wind, i get low down and use the bull horns.
On my road racing bike I have kept the drops since I have Ultegra brake shifters and they are just too effective and comfortable to let go off. So I kept the drops but again I hardly ride on them.
One thing I found out is that I cannot breath freely enough when I am on the drops compared to riding on the top of the flat bar or on the hoods of the drop bar.
It's all personal preference and if you don't race, just go with what is comfortable, not what is in vogue or used by the pro's
Likes For rrjmaier:
Old 08-30-21, 12:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yep. Plenty of people ride bikes with drop bars and never use the drops. Which does beg the question of why to use them. The design of the brake and shift levers make little sense if you never use the drops.
Even if I never used the drops, I would rather have road levers than a flat bar and mtb trigger shifters. My hands naturally angle with thumb and pointer finger facing forward when arms are at my side. When my arms are in front of me, my thumb and pointer finger naturally face up. That is the exact position of STI levers.
To me, it makes little sense to force my arms to rotate to a different position. But to each their own.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-30-21, 12:59 PM
KDR

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

If we can assume that the bike is not too small for you to get the bars up at least to the level of your saddle I suggest you get a stem that allows that before giving up on drop bars. Rivendell (and others) sell several models of Nitto stems that allow very high bar positions. Just remember the higher you raise a stem the shorter its effective length so the closer the bars will be to the rider.
Old 08-30-21, 01:28 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Are your bars rotated so the hoods are either horizontal to the ground or pointing slightly up?

The older bikes had the bars rotated forward so the hoods are pointing down- very uncomfortable to be on the hoods.
This is how my bars are set, with the hoods sloping up slightly. I set the hood angle by sitting on the bike in a doorway, shaking out my arm to loosen it up, then reaching for the hoods with a neutral hand position. I want to avoid a bent wrist. (And the same method with the drop's angle.)

The top of the bar is barely an inch lower than the top of the saddle. The reach is correct, allowing my elbows to bend a little.

So the drops are just another comfortable hand position. I like that I have contact with my whole palm. That's easier on my slightly sore hand joints (I'm in my upper 60s). It's way more comfortable on rough roads than using the hoods. Aero too!

I rarely used the drops years go. The setup wasn't quite right, and the bars too low, and the bar curve was terrible. It was only for fast downhills and extreme headwinds.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-30-21 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-30-21, 01:30 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I gave up on drop handle bars for two reasons.
They were hell on my "bulging discs".
And because the arthritis in my hands is so bad I coouldn't work the brakes.
I have a road bike with flat handle bars.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 08-30-21, 01:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Even if I never used the drops, I would rather have road levers than a flat bar and mtb trigger shifters. My hands naturally angle with thumb and pointer finger facing forward when arms are at my side. When my arms are in front of me, my thumb and pointer finger naturally face up. That is the exact position of STI levers.
To me, it makes little sense to force my arms to rotate to a different position. But to each their own.
^^^^^^
THIS

These hoods vs drops discussions always seem to break down the same way. Very experienced riders saying the danger and awkwardness of hoods are self-evident vs. equally experienced riders who have no idea why anyone would think that.

I never have a sense that my hands are not secure on the hoods or that braking is somehow more awkward or difficult than in the drops. Your post makes me wonder if you and I have a "natural" hand position that's different from people who are finding the hoods awkward and dangerous.

Mostly, though, I find these conversations funny because (although I've never actually counted), I suspect 90% + of people I see riding on drop bars are riding on the hoods. There's a certain amount of "nobody goes there, it's too crowded" aspect to these conversations. If the downside of the hood position is so obvious, why is it so popular?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-21, 02:58 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I gave up drops and DF bikes in 2008 when I got my first recumbent. Now I ride in comfort.
Old 08-30-21, 03:10 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm 68 years old and use a 10cm or 4 inch saddle to bar drop. I use Easton ec-90 bars with 80mm reach and 120mm drop. I ride steep hills and winding mountain roads. On the descents I use the drops at high speeds up to 56mph, or those with tight turns. If I'm cruising on flatter terrain, placing my palms over the top of the brake hoods with my forearms horizontal produces an aerodynamic position.
Old 08-30-21, 05:10 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
^^^^^^
THIS

These hoods vs drops discussions always seem to break down the same way. Very experienced riders saying the danger and awkwardness of hoods are self-evident vs. equally experienced riders who have no idea why anyone would think that.

I never have a sense that my hands are not secure on the hoods or that braking is somehow more awkward or difficult than in the drops. Your post makes me wonder if you and I have a "natural" hand position that's different from people who are finding the hoods awkward and dangerous.

Mostly, though, I find these conversations funny because (although I've never actually counted), I suspect 90% + of people I see riding on drop bars are riding on the hoods. There's a certain amount of "nobody goes there, it's too crowded" aspect to these conversations. If the downside of the hood position is so obvious, why is it so popular?
It might only be popular because it is more comfortable. I wonder if the hoods might be dangerous (to some) is because, I guess, one's hands could slip over the hump and off the bars (and brakes) whereas that would not happen on the drops. But I'm a top/hood rider. The drops do not work for my neck and can induce vertigo.
Old 08-30-21, 07:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by kahn
It might only be popular because it is more comfortable. I wonder if the hoods might be dangerous (to some) is because, I guess, one's hands could slip over the hump and off the bars (and brakes) whereas that would not happen on the drops. But I'm a top/hood rider. The drops do not work for my neck and can induce vertigo.
I see people assert that hand bouncing (slipping) off the hoods scenario on bf all of the time, but I'm convinced my hands are firmly wrapped around the hoods and levers and aren't budging. Maybe it'll happen on the 10 thousandth pothole I go over riding the hoods.
It's comfortable because people feel secure in the position, the posture is good and the braking/shifting is extremely convenient. I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't get comfortable in a position that felt shaky and insecure.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-21, 08:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
I see people assert that hand bouncing (slipping) off the hoods scenario on bf all of the time, but I'm convinced my hands are firmly wrapped around the hoods and levers and aren't budging. Maybe it'll happen on the 10 thousandth pothole I go over riding the hoods.
It's comfortable because people feel secure in the position, the posture is good and the braking/shifting is extremely convenient. I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't get comfortable in a position that felt shaky and insecure.
The time I hit a really big pothole, I was on the hoods. So far from having my hands come off the levers, the impact twisted the bar down in the stem. My hands did not come off the levers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-31-21, 12:32 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I do fast downhills on both the hoods and the drops, some are quite bumpy and have never had an issue on either. I have to admit that braking is noticeably stronger from the drops though.
Old 08-31-21, 10:31 AM
splendiferous

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok.. where did these iridescent bars come from?

Those bars are really beautiful .. who makes those?

Originally Posted by chaadster
One of my favorite flat bar setups has inner bar ends by SQ Lab which allow me to bring my arms in, tuck my elbows, and make a smaller face to the wind, perfect for longer runs where I don’t need access to brakes or frequent shifting:
SQ Lab Inner Bar Ends
Old 08-31-21, 01:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by splendiferous
Those bars are really beautiful .. who makes those?
https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...iser-handlebar
Old 08-31-21, 10:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I haven't given up on my dropbars. In fact I've converted my MTB to a dropbar and bar-end shifters to use as a dirt/gravel road touring bike. There's an entire thread dedicated to conversions from straight MTB bars to dropbars.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.