Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Speed Sensor

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 05:51 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Garmin Speed Sensor

So kind of a silly question. i have a Garmin Speed sensor installed on my rear HUB. This causes the wheel to be kind of out of balance as it rotates, meaning the sensor does not go all the way around the HUB, it is banded to one side of the HUB so when the wheel spins it is heavier on that side of the HUB. Is there a way to balance that out, or is that just the way it is with a speed sensor installed on the rear HUB?
Old 02-07-22, 05:56 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It depends on which speed sensor you're meaning but if it is one of the ones designed to go around the hub then it will always be like that. What's more the small weight of them and the fact that hub bodies aren't large means that any real imbalance you see is not from the speed sensor and is most likely from the tube valve or the rim joint. Unless that imbalance is huge you're never going to notice or feel it on the road.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-08-22, 06:39 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Do you actually feel something or are you just saying this because the weight of the sensor is not spreaded equally around the hub? You shouldn't feel anything unless you ride really fast or unless it's really heavy. If you do, it's most likely something else.

Last edited by eduskator; 02-08-22 at 06:43 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-08-22, 11:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Find the heaviest point of the wheel - you can take it off and hold it so it can rotate freely until it stops. Now put the sensor on the other side of the hub from that point, and try again and see if it makes any difference at all. I got a dollar says no.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-09-22, 06:07 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I have a speed sensor on my rear hub and can honestly say I haven't noticed any imbalance whatsoever.
Likes For sw20:
Old 02-09-22, 06:47 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
If you are actually feeling something, you need to check it out, but I think the chance of it being your speed sensor are going to be slim to none. If you are just worried this may be a potential problem, in the 80s we put Cat-Eye reflectors on our wheels that were big enough to be seen from low flying aircraft at night and there weren't any problems.

Old 02-09-22, 06:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
I have a speed sensor on my rear hub and can honestly say I haven't noticed any imbalance whatsoever.

same here for years. I think if your feeling something you have a bigger wheel issue than the sensor.
Old 02-09-22, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I have the speed sensor that uses a wheel magnet on the spokes. I've always put it on the side of the wheel directly opposite of the valve stem just because that seems appropriate.

However the wheel doesn't really spin fast enough while riding for wheel balance to be any concern IMO. Especially for it's tiny weight.

Though in a bike stand or with the wheel off the ground, you could spin the tires much faster than you'd ever could in actual riding. So then you might see the effects of an out of balance wheel.
Old 02-09-22, 02:25 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Add me to the list of people who have used a Garmin speed sensor for years without noticing any balance effect whatsoever. I also use the sensor when I'm training on the rollers with tires pumped up to maximum pressure, which should be a recipe for magnifying any balance issues, but they spin like a top.

If I was looking for something to produce a balance effect, I'd be looking closer to the rim where speed, wheel flex, and leverage could produce an effect. It's hard to imagine much of an effect from changes to weight at the hub. Consider how asymmetric a rear hub already is.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton