Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 01:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, you've apparently been doing it WRONG for 4 decades. It's a wonder your chains didn't asplode.
ikr? I think the only time I had a chain come off was the last Campagnolo chain I put on without the special tool. Had a chain breaker with me and a quick link. Slapped it back together and rode home.
I've helped a number of riders with that chain breaker.
Old 08-24-22, 02:07 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Nope - standard 2x
You can't take your rear wheel out of the frame without touching the chain? And you don't have rear facing dropouts? You're doing it wrong.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-24-22, 08:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You can't take your rear wheel out of the frame without touching the chain? And you don't have rear facing dropouts? You're doing it wrong.
damn, cxwrench, I must be backward. I forgot that there’s the cxwrench way or the highway…..🙄
Old 08-24-22, 09:42 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Litespud
damn, cxwrench, I must be backward. I forgot that there’s the cxwrench way or the highway…..🙄
Well, let's see. If you have a normal bike with horizontal or vertical dropouts you can really only end up with 2 results. 1, your hands stay clean. 2, they don't. If you had to say one was wrong and one was right, which one would be wrong? I'll wait. This isn't about me, it's about people ending up with dirty hands when they don't need to.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-24-22, 09:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Hence wax.
Old 08-24-22, 09:51 PM
cxwrench

And...no.
Old 08-25-22, 04:46 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I was a waxing skeptic before I tried it. Thought it was “too much work,” but after doing so find it much easier than cleaning, re-lubing the chain 1-2x per week.

Each chain gets ~300 miles per wax which is 1.5-2 weeks. Once both are in need of wax, crock pot goes on, chains get thrown in and I come back in 2 hours to swish them around, pull them out and let them cool.

It’s about 6 minutes of work, including breaking the links and reinstalling the chain.

I’m sure I’m going to get over 10k per chain based on current wear, which is 3x what I was getting with other methods.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-25-22, 05:12 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I was a waxing skeptic before I tried it. Thought it was “too much work,” but after doing so find it much easier than cleaning, re-lubing the chain 1-2x per week.

Each chain gets ~300 miles per wax which is 1.5-2 weeks. Once both are in need of wax, crock pot goes on, chains get thrown in and I come back in 2 hours to swish them around, pull them out and let them cool.

It’s about 6 minutes of work, including breaking the links and reinstalling the chain.

I’m sure I’m going to get over 10k per chain based on current wear, which is 3x what I was getting with other methods.
Waxing my chains may be my next winter project, you say you get 300 miles per wax, I assume you do a complete rewax, vs drip wax?

Also a question that just came to mind, is how do you completely strip the remaining old wax? Torch or heat gun? Then I would guess once most of that is removed you can start the stripping process again?
Old 08-25-22, 05:32 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
Waxing my chains may be my next winter project, you say you get 300 miles per wax, I assume you do a complete rewax, vs drip wax?

Also a question that just came to mind, is how do you completely strip the remaining old wax? Torch or heat gun? Then I would guess once most of that is removed you can start the stripping process again?
Yes- complete rewax, no top off in between. There’s no stripping of old wax, it comes out in the melted wax as the chain heats up.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-25-22, 06:46 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
"Should be more popular" Needs a Tee Shirt...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-25-22, 07:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22592 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
"Should be more popular" Needs a Tee Shirt...
Looks like a good tagline. Be right back....

edit: see what I did there?
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-25-22, 07:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
It would be nice if it was popular enough to be a choice a cycling newbie can easily become aware of. So they can have a fast bike and the chance to preserve the as new condition of their recent purchase.

Then people can still make a choice as to whether the process is for them, ideally not based on misconceptions.
Immersive waxing doesn't make a fast bike. Too much of a headache. That's why people don't want to deal with it.

This is much easier...

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon.../dp/B00KMMFE8Y
Old 08-25-22, 08:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Well, let's see. If you have a normal bike with horizontal or vertical dropouts you can really only end up with 2 results. 1, your hands stay clean. 2, they don't. If you had to say one was wrong and one was right, which one would be wrong? I'll wait. This isn't about me, it's about people ending up with dirty hands when they don't need to.
Let’s simplify this: When you poop, you can really only end up with 2 results. 1, your hands stay clean. 2, they don’t. If you had to say one was wrong and one was right, which one would be wrong?
Old 08-25-22, 08:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Dupont Chain-Saver Aerosol Ingredients: Heptane, Propane, n-Butane, petroleum distillates.

No thanks.

There are other wax-based lubricants that perform far better and don't contain nasty ingredients. My current eco choice is made from sunflower seeds:

EFFETTO MARIPOSA FLOWERPOWER WAX CHAIN LUBE

Old 08-25-22, 09:50 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Yes- complete rewax, no top off in between. There’s no stripping of old wax, it comes out in the melted wax as the chain heats up.
If you want to prolong your wax, a rinse with boiling water will flush out the old wax and grit from the chain. Not necessary but still easy to do and especially useful if you rode in wet conditions and the chain was exposed to a lot of road spray.
Likes For surak:
Old 08-25-22, 10:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
You should not necessarily take those ZFC chain lifetimes literally, they are including the fact that the chain runs through extreme contamination conditions. For dry road riding there is not much difference in chain lifetime between hot wax and one of the best drip lubes such as Silca SS. Those are the results at the end of block 3 in the table. They don't show Silca SS but its total % is 7.5% there.. almost the same as the Silca hot wax.
So then we cue up these charts:

ROAD

MTB Gravel Wet
Old 08-25-22, 10:31 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So then we cue up these charts:
Even the road chart includes the wet riding conditions. If you are doing dry riding only, Silca SS drip is very similar to the hot waxes as I mentioned above. Just look at column 3 in the original table, that is the wear for dry conditions. In column 4 wet is added.

I would say that road riders that are in the rain a fair amount would indeed see real benefits from hot wax. Me, I am only in the rain if I mis-read the weather forecast.

PS in looking at the original spreadsheet they in fact report the data for dry contamination only. Here it is from their spreadsheet:

I think Silca Drip Batch 2 in this table is in fact Silca SS, it has the same numbers. .5 chains reported there, beats the average of the three top hot waxes as you can see.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 08-25-22 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add chart
Old 08-25-22, 12:48 PM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Dupont Chain-Saver Aerosol Ingredients: Heptane, Propane, n-Butane, petroleum distillates.

No thanks.

There are other wax-based lubricants that perform far better and don't contain nasty ingredients. My current eco choice is made from sunflower seeds:

EFFETTO MARIPOSA FLOWERPOWER WAX CHAIN LUBE
The aerosol ingredients don't bother me. Bottom line is that it works. And it's half the price of the stuff you linked to.

And don't be all holier than thou and tell us that you don't use any aerosol products.
Old 08-25-22, 01:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
What dissuades me is that (at least by every description I've heard) it requires the use of a stove and cookware or some kind of crock pot, and something to store the wax in between applications, plus it seems to take more time and attention to do. In my house, the kitchen is my wife's domain, and it just seems like too much effort to buy my own stuff and find a place to put it. The tiny bottle of lube fits next to my tool box and takes seconds to apply. For the pennies it costs me in early chain wear, I guess I just don't see the point. Perhaps if I did it a few times I would like it, but nothing has motivated me to try yet.
Old 08-25-22, 01:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
What dissuades me is that (at least by every description I've heard) it requires the use of a stove and cookware or some kind of crock pot, and something to store the wax in between applications,
Small crockpots are the ideal size and they're 12 bucks or so. The wax just stays in there to cool/harden between waxing sessions.
Old 08-25-22, 01:30 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Small crockpots are the ideal size and they're 12 bucks or so. The wax just stays in there to cool/harden between waxing sessions.
I'm listening. Do you happen to have a link or list of easy to follow instructions?
Old 08-25-22, 01:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I'm listening. Do you happen to have a link or list of easy to follow instructions?
https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/waxing-your-chain

Honestly, reading through the instructions always makes it sound more complicated than it is. Video for cleaning process -

Video for waxing process -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-25-22, 02:43 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
ok I would have been concerned the fine particles could be suspended in the wax and never really washed out.
Old 08-25-22, 03:25 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
How often do you rewax?

It’s not clear to me how long the immersion lubricant lasts before developing a squeaky chain. I found with white lighting clean ride it was surprisingly short. Something like every 100-200 miles.

Finish Line dry lube has been my go to for years. I find I need to clean and reapply about every 1000-2000 miles
Likes For Symox:
Old 08-25-22, 03:31 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/waxing-your-chain

Honestly, reading through the instructions always makes it sound more complicated than it is. Video for cleaning process -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI0tZqIpguk

Video for waxing process -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98thWZIYezw
That cleaning vid makes it look like you are working with hazmat! Scary stuff.

I use Gatorade bottles and a piece of shirt hanger to pull the chain out. Gloves not needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.