Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

1981 Miyata “Commuter”, 25”, New In Box

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 03-02-19, 06:46 PM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Hi,

I have three of these in unopened boxes. They’re all tall (25”/62cm). Came out of the basement of a bike shop that shut down. Sort of like Miyata’s take on a Dutch style bike. If you have any questions please ask. I can do 600 a piece plus actual shipping. Rare, not very common, you all know that. Own something unique.

Last edited by krems81; 03-02-19 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For krems81:
Old 03-02-19, 09:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
too big for me.......but so nice.......I think I am glad because this result in N+1 tooo much

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-02-19, 09:40 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
Some days I really hate browsing the sales forum... or I lament not being independently wealthy. One of those two.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 03-03-19, 02:10 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
That is... very unusual. I don't need one, and I wouldn't ride it if I had one; but that's really cool.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 03-03-19, 05:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
They are pretty cool to see. I wish you good luck selling them,

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-03-19 at 06:35 AM. Reason: No disparaging comments about pricing allowed.
Old 03-03-19, 09:48 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,543 Times in 3,756 Posts
Guys, the Sales forums are not a place for discussion.

If you suspect a business is side stepping the rules please do not post in the thread. Please report the thread and allow the Moderation Staff to deal with it.
Old 03-03-19, 09:48 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,543 Times in 3,756 Posts
OP, carry on.
Old 03-03-19, 10:42 AM
krems81 

Originally Posted by cb400bill
OP, carry on.
Thanks! Here’s a couple more photos

Old 03-04-19, 10:05 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
Wow, that's a cool piece of nerdy bike history. Very euro-style. I wonder what the fork offset is - maybe low/mid trail? I especially like the beautiful curve in the fork rather than the typical dogleg.
Old 03-04-19, 10:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Umm, @hairnet are you seeing this?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-04-19, 10:55 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Umm, @hairnet are you seeing this?

That's a very pretty bike. Unfortunately I just dont have the space for another bike and I don't ride enough these days to justify it.
Old 03-05-19, 08:51 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Gosh! A commuter bike that will fit me! Woooo-hooooo! How do I order?
Old 03-05-19, 09:38 PM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So tempted

These are a little big , but ride-able for me. So tempted. I just recently initiated an ongoing eBay search for Miyata's. Because I am a fan of classic steel touring bikes and I drive a 2008 Miata. So, you know, justification for N+1. However, I am also seriously searching for an even more expensive niche bike, so I think I must pass on these for now.
Old 03-07-19, 03:09 AM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Originally Posted by krems81
Hi,

I have three of these in unopened boxes. They’re all tall (25”/62cm). Came out of the basement of a bike shop that shut down. Sort of like Miyata’s take on a Dutch style bike. If you have any questions please ask. I can do 600 a piece plus actual shipping. Rare, not very common, you all know that. Own something unique.

How much to ship one of those beauties to the Boston area? Zip code; 01902. Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-08-19, 04:48 PM
krems81 

Originally Posted by SilverSteve
How much to ship one of those beauties to the Boston area? Zip code; 01902. Thank you for your reply.
It’s a bigger box than your average bike because of height and all of the fenders, etc. a preliminary estimate came to $105 prior to additional insurance, 😬. Via bike flights. I can play with ship date and see if it fluctuates, but if you wanted to just go ahead I can limit shipping to 100, so I’ll take on anything over that amount. Making it 700 out of pocket. Let me know what you think!
Old 03-08-19, 06:11 PM
SilverSteve

Originally Posted by krems81

It’s a bigger box than your average bike because of height and all of the fenders, etc. a preliminary estimate came to $105 prior to additional insurance, 😬. Via bike flights. I can play with ship date and see if it fluctuates, but if you wanted to just go ahead I can limit shipping to 100, so I’ll take on anything over that amount. Making it 700 out of pocket. Let me know what you think!
Thanks much.. I'll be getting back to you as soon as I can.
Old 03-08-19, 06:12 PM
krems81 

Originally Posted by SilverSteve
Thanks much.. I'll be getting back to you as soon as I can.
Ok, sounds good!
Old 03-13-20, 07:31 PM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Miyata Commuter Review

There isn't much information on teh interwebz about the old Miyata Commuter, so I'm bumping this old thread. I purchased one of these new/old bikes from Krems a few months ago, and I've put a few miles on it now that the weather is nice. The bike was brand new, but I suspected that the condition might not be absolutely perfect due to the long storage. (40 years) I was wrong. The box had some discoloration on the outside but the machine inside was in excellent condition. I had expected some dry rot on the tires, but none was evident when I cautiously inflated them. I've now ridden for several weeks on these 40 year old tires and tubes, and they seem fine. I did not see any tiny cracks under a magnifying glass.

The bike in the box meant some assembly was required. I started by removing the pedals from their plastic bags. Some roughness was apparent when I rotated the spindle by hand, so I took them apart and installed fresh grease. The original grease had turned to about the consistency of bar soap in spite of the sealed bags. The seat had also been sealed inside a plastic bag; it it remained like new--no cracks or discoloration, soft and comfortable. I proceeded to remove every bearing in the bike for fresh grease. The front wheel hub has loose bearings like the pedals, but the bottom bracket, steering head, and rear hub all had retainer cage bearings. The bottom bracket and rear hub grease was still quite gooey. Perhaps these bearings would have been fine anyway, but I installed fresh grease and dunked the hub guts in oil anyway.

A word of caution about the rear hub. Shimano calls this 3 speed hub a cartridge type, but it has cone bearings. It is important not to disturb the drive (sprocket) side cone and locknut. All adjustment of play can be made with the non drive side cone only. This hub was easy to take apart, and since it was brand new I did not disturb any of the little pawls and springs. Two very small keys retain the hub on the axle, and losing these would have been a disaster, but I found the hub to be simple to service.

What's the Commuter like to ride? Quiet and comfortable. The only sound the bike makes is the soft whisper of tires on pavement whether coasting or pedaling. The first time I shifted, I incorrectly assumed that the hub did not actually change gears since it made no sound at all, but the change in effort confirmed that all 3 speeds work just fine. The front 46 tooth chainring is paired to a 20 tooth rear sprocket and I found the combination just right for moderate terrain. The alloy bars are a comfort/touring style, but actually a bit low for me. I notice some flex in the bars when putting weight on them--otherwise the bike is taut feeling. Compared to my Schwinn Suburban (the Suburbatank) the Commuter feels light and racy. The Commuter top tube is mounted higher than the Suburban's but is shorter. Reach to the bars is also shorter in spite of a long handlebar stem on the Commuter. Although both bikes are about the same size, the Commuter is more than 10 pounds lighter than the Suburbatank.

Brakes are nice alloy DiaCompes with both travel and centering adjusters. They work just fine in spite of the 40 year old brake pads. Rims are 27" alloy, and were true. About every component on the bike is alloy except the frame. The fenders and chainguard are a rather light and delicate looking brushed aluminum. The only plastic parts on the machine that I can think of are inside the shift trigger, and the cable jackets. The overall level of quality and detail of the bicycle impressed me.

The Commuter was only offered for one year and must not have sold well. (Mine was obviously never sold until now) I think the problem with the bike back in 1981 was that it was a bit too nice for its intended purpose. I can't imagine that I shall ever leave this machine in a bike rack to get beaten to death. Most touring riders in 1981 wanted a lot more than just 3 gears, so the Commuter would not have appealed to them much either in spite of the racks and lighting. A lot has changed since 1981, and bicycle trails are everywhere now. I live close to Ohio; a state with several hundred miles of paved trails and moderate terrain. The Commuter is the perfect bike for exploring all of those miles in comfort an style--at least for me. I don't know if Krems has any of these bikes left, but he did back in December.
Likes For Schwinneffect:
Old 03-13-20, 08:32 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Great write up, thanks!
Old 03-15-20, 08:39 PM
SilverSteve

Still longing for one...

Gosh, I inquired a year ago about buying one, figured they went like hotcakes. If krems hss any left, I'm still psyched to get one.! A Japanese Dutch bike... now, THAT'S unique!
Boston
March, 2020
Likes For SilverSteve:
Old 04-01-20, 10:29 AM
krems81 

Originally Posted by Schwinneffect
There isn't much information on teh interwebz about the old Miyata Commuter, so I'm bumping this old thread. I purchased one of these new/old bikes from Krems a few months ago, and I've put a few miles on it now that the weather is nice. The bike was brand new, but I suspected that the condition might not be absolutely perfect due to the long storage. (40 years) I was wrong. The box had some discoloration on the outside but the machine inside was in excellent condition. I had expected some dry rot on the tires, but none was evident when I cautiously inflated them. I've now ridden for several weeks on these 40 year old tires and tubes, and they seem fine. I did not see any tiny cracks under a magnifying glass.

The bike in the box meant some assembly was required. I started by removing the pedals from their plastic bags. Some roughness was apparent when I rotated the spindle by hand, so I took them apart and installed fresh grease. The original grease had turned to about the consistency of bar soap in spite of the sealed bags. The seat had also been sealed inside a plastic bag; it it remained like new--no cracks or discoloration, soft and comfortable. I proceeded to remove every bearing in the bike for fresh grease. The front wheel hub has loose bearings like the pedals, but the bottom bracket, steering head, and rear hub all had retainer cage bearings. The bottom bracket and rear hub grease was still quite gooey. Perhaps these bearings would have been fine anyway, but I installed fresh grease and dunked the hub guts in oil anyway.

A word of caution about the rear hub. Shimano calls this 3 speed hub a cartridge type, but it has cone bearings. It is important not to disturb the drive (sprocket) side cone and locknut. All adjustment of play can be made with the non drive side cone only. This hub was easy to take apart, and since it was brand new I did not disturb any of the little pawls and springs. Two very small keys retain the hub on the axle, and losing these would have been a disaster, but I found the hub to be simple to service.

What's the Commuter like to ride? Quiet and comfortable. The only sound the bike makes is the soft whisper of tires on pavement whether coasting or pedaling. The first time I shifted, I incorrectly assumed that the hub did not actually change gears since it made no sound at all, but the change in effort confirmed that all 3 speeds work just fine. The front 46 tooth chainring is paired to a 20 tooth rear sprocket and I found the combination just right for moderate terrain. The alloy bars are a comfort/touring style, but actually a bit low for me. I notice some flex in the bars when putting weight on them--otherwise the bike is taut feeling. Compared to my Schwinn Suburban (the Suburbatank) the Commuter feels light and racy. The Commuter top tube is mounted higher than the Suburban's but is shorter. Reach to the bars is also shorter in spite of a long handlebar stem on the Commuter. Although both bikes are about the same size, the Commuter is more than 10 pounds lighter than the Suburbatank.

Brakes are nice alloy DiaCompes with both travel and centering adjusters. They work just fine in spite of the 40 year old brake pads. Rims are 27" alloy, and were true. About every component on the bike is alloy except the frame. The fenders and chainguard are a rather light and delicate looking brushed aluminum. The only plastic parts on the machine that I can think of are inside the shift trigger, and the cable jackets. The overall level of quality and detail of the bicycle impressed me.

The Commuter was only offered for one year and must not have sold well. (Mine was obviously never sold until now) I think the problem with the bike back in 1981 was that it was a bit too nice for its intended purpose. I can't imagine that I shall ever leave this machine in a bike rack to get beaten to death. Most touring riders in 1981 wanted a lot more than just 3 gears, so the Commuter would not have appealed to them much either in spite of the racks and lighting. A lot has changed since 1981, and bicycle trails are everywhere now. I live close to Ohio; a state with several hundred miles of paved trails and moderate terrain. The Commuter is the perfect bike for exploring all of those miles in comfort an style--at least for me. I don't know if Krems has any of these bikes left, but he did back in December.
Thanks for this write up! I have two left, and one I built up but haven’t ridden at all. I’ve got a couple active inquiries due to this write-up. We’ll see if they get claimed because I still haven’t gotten around to putting them on eBay
Old 04-02-20, 09:22 AM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Commuter fit

I failed to mention the fit. I'm 6' 4". My inseam for blue jeans is 34" and 35" for dress pants. I have the seat post on the Commuter almost all the way up. The image shows the 25" Commuter in front of the 24" Suburban. The Suburban is a bit too small even with the seat all the way up.
Old 06-21-20, 03:20 PM
Yesjaeson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this still available?
Old 06-30-20, 09:38 AM
slimjames

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also curious if any are still available...
Old 08-06-20, 01:50 PM
grassybutte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judging by the recent comments this seems very unlikely, but are any of these lovely bikes still available? Unfortunately, I can’t PM you as I have not posted enough to the forums yet.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.