Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these an outdated type of pedal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22, 07:23 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

It's the one on the right. From an older Fuji Royale road bike. Can I adapt the black ones on somehow? Maybe replace the spindles? The crank arms just have threaded holes for them. This is the first time I've worked on pedals. Most I've learned is to loosen backwards on both pedals due to the opposite threads
Old 08-03-22, 08:03 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
The one on the right is the normal one.

I think the one on the left is missing the small axle which threads into the pedal with one end and into the crank arm with the other end. The purpose of this design is to be able to replace this small axle making the pedal compatible with both 9/16 and 1/2 threads.
Old 08-03-22, 08:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
You only loosen (and tighten) 'backwards' on the left hand (non-drive side)pedal. The pedal on the drive (chain) side has 'normal' threading and behaves like you would expect. The pedals pictured on the right are not (IMO) antiquated just yet, it is more the case that the black ones are unique, in my experience. WTF. Can you position the camera for a view into the end of the pedal? I've seen newish pedals use 8mm Allen keys for installation/removal; with or without 'flats' for crescent wrenches, but the threading still has to be external to go into the crankarm.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-03-22, 08:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo
It's the one on the right. From an older Fuji Royale road bike. Can I adapt the black ones on somehow? Maybe replace the spindles? The crank arms just have threaded holes for them. This is the first time I've worked on pedals. Most I've learned is to loosen backwards on both pedals due to the opposite threads
You don't say?
Old 08-03-22, 09:37 PM
Ross200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by csport

I think the one on the left is missing the small axle which threads into the pedal with one end and into the crank arm with the other end. The purpose of this design is to be able to replace this small axle making the pedal compatible with both 9/16 and 1/2 threads.

+1. Blackburn universal pedal set at WallyWorld for $8.36 resembles the black one. One size DOES fit all-except DynaDrive. Leisestrum will see MANY more of these as Specialized and Trek corporate stores take over the world! They have the Walton family running scared-

These are what you get at midnight Saturday at Walmart when you realize you drove eight hours to the campsite and brought your road shoes instead of your off road shoes, the ride starts at 6 am and the nearest bike shop opens on Tuesday two hours away. They DID kinda much the graphics on my friend's Lynskey with the carbon cranks-very stylish!
Old 08-03-22, 10:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You only loosen ... 'backwards' on the left hand (non-drive side) pedal.
Maybe you haven't heard, but this is a convention for people to remember how to loosen a pedal regardless of side (left or right). Both loosen by turning a wrench held at 12:00 "backwards" toward the rear wheel.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-04-22, 01:35 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Well that may be why they were on sale at Walmart. Missing pieces.
Old 08-04-22, 01:37 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You only loosen (and tighten) 'backwards' on the left hand (non-drive side)pedal. The pedal on the drive (chain) side has 'normal' threading and behaves like you would expect. The pedals pictured on the right are not (IMO) antiquated just yet, it is more the case that the black ones are unique, in my experience. WTF. Can you position the camera for a view into the end of the pedal? I've seen newish pedals use 8mm Allen keys for installation/removal; with or without 'flats' for crescent wrenches, but the threading still has to be external to go into the crankarm.
Sorry . I figured the one on the left was the "normal" and didn't focus on it. Seems the consensus is I got it backwards
Old 08-04-22, 01:38 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Tell us what the issue is. Are you replacing pedals on this particular vintage Fuji? What is wrong with the original pedal set? You can overhaul vintage pedals with removable dust caps if there is a problem in their function. Usually, the way to replace a pedal spindle is with one from the same manufacturer or model. If you have a bicycle co-op nearby, you can usually find inexpensive pedals. You can then fully overhaul them and shine them up. The Japanese made great pedals back in the day. I prefer two models from KKT, Pro Ace and Top Run.

Most won't like this but I ride barefoot. And the metal is a little tough. Would like the plastic as I have on my other bikes
Old 08-04-22, 08:04 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Check your local bike shop for some cheap plastic pedals as some keep a box of orphan pedals from new bikes that were changed out. I think these types of pedals would be more comfortable with bare feet, but you can always sand/grind/cut the teeth off of plastic pedals fairly easily. Just an example Giant Urbano Bike Commuting and Crusing Pedals – Bicycle Warehouse
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-04-22, 11:27 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts

I agree. My one experience with this type of pedal wasn't good. My grandson (12 at the time) was able to destroy them in short order. I can't recommend them.
Old 08-04-22, 03:14 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross200
+1. Blackburn universal pedal set at WallyWorld for $8.36 resembles the black one. One size DOES fit all-except DynaDrive. Leisestrum will see MANY more of these as Specialized and Trek corporate stores take over the world! They have the Walton family running scared-

These are what you get at midnight Saturday at Walmart when you realize you drove eight hours to the campsite and brought your road shoes instead of your off road shoes, the ride starts at 6 am and the nearest bike shop opens on Tuesday two hours away. They DID kinda much the graphics on my friend's Lynskey with the carbon cranks-very stylish!
Except for kid's bikes that have 1/2" pedal axles.
Old 08-04-22, 03:43 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
The Blackburn pedals come with both 1/2 and 9/16 stubs. Sorry no French threads-my bad.
Old 08-05-22, 08:31 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
There are much better pedals for riding barefoot. Anything with a 'cage' is less than optimal.

For example:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/9-16-In...m/5GNZ9JP6MOBK

Other types are available, this was just the first ones I found with an image and a working link.

Here's some fancy ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/Look-Geo-City-...8KGQRYLH&psc=1
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-05-22, 03:07 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross200

I think we've all learned that flat pedals are flat pedals as long as the let you to be able to ride!

Last edited by Camilo; 08-05-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 03:12 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
There are much better pedals for riding barefoot. Anything with a 'cage' is less than optimal.

For example:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/9-16-In...m/5GNZ9JP6MOBK

Other types are available, this was just the first ones I found with an image and a working link.

Here's some fancy ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/Look-Geo-City-...8KGQRYLH&psc=1
Before you posted this, I was going to say, the plastic flat pedals I've seen all have some sort of design meant to grip the shoe - the little protruding teeth on the OP's example and the molded in pins in others. I was going to suggest that for barefoot riding, I'd personally file down to make them smooth flat. Both of your examples would be preferable to me for sure, were I to ride barefoot like i did for miles and miles and miles around the neighborhood when I was a kid. But the pedals we had were like the Walmart example you posted with the rubber surfaces on both sides of the pedal spindle.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets a little impatient with newbies posting the same question over and over. But I believe this is the first time I've seen a thread on the best pedal for barefoot riding, and it's very refreshing!

I am waiting for some know-it-all to criticize the OP for riding barefoot. I say, go for it, and enjoy the feeling of bare feet in a warm breeze!
Old 08-06-22, 05:32 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. But I ain't paying more than $10 for pedals if even. Got those black ones for $5. I'm hoping to snag a free bike being donated as they are from time to time. I can wait. Or get a whole bike from a thrift store for cheap and part it out.

One of you suggested grinding down my stock pedals but they're original so I want to keep em, or even use em if I decide to use shoes say like in winter.
Old 08-06-22, 08:46 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Most won't like this but I ride barefoot.
Yes, if for some reason the bare foot slips off the pedal and hits the ground there will be dire consequences.

Thanks for all the tips. But I ain't paying more than $10 for pedals if even. Got those black ones for $5.
What Crankycrank said. Or something like this:
https://www.randombikeparts.com/coll...muter-bike-new

But these resin pedals are for sissies. Chuck Norris rides road clipless, his feet have integrated cleats for that.

Last edited by csport; 08-06-22 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 03:45 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, if for some reason the bare foot slips off the pedal and hits the ground there will be dire consequences.

What Crankycrank said. Or something like this:
https://www.randombikeparts.com/coll...muter-bike-new

But these resin pedals are for sissies. Chuck Norris rides road clipless, his feet have integrated cleats for that.
Thanks. Those look worth considering