Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Power Screwdriver Fit for a Bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-17-22, 07:19 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts

Most people avoid using power screwdrivers/bit drivers on bikes due to the ease with which damage can occur. However, now there is a tool that opens a new way of operation for power tools, completely intuitive, DeWalt gyroscopic screwdriver. Does it read your mind? No, but it reacts to the way in which your hand acts when using a regular screwdriver, so you become capable of using a power tool in subtle ways, without really thinking. It is an absolute revelation. For a small power screwdriver price is quite high - mine is an inline version - but once you start using it, the tool becomes practically integrated with yourself. It is my primary tool now on the bike and elsewhere.

No connection to DeWalt or its distributors on my part. I ran into it just by looking for a small in size but effective power screwdriver.
Old 08-17-22, 08:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
About the only non factory application a powered screwdriver has, as I see it, is for spinning nipples down during the initial build up of a wheel. Repeated process with little need for torque control. But this tool does sound cool, if bulky for the small screws bikes use with their fairly short threaded engagements. Andy
Old 08-17-22, 08:25 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
It is obviously on the bulky side, so not for every bolt. Yet the way it reacts to the hand, ability to tread very slowly, stop when you feel unease, ability to use without the power, and so on, make its operation really quite secure, at least in my mind. I am in the process of fitting an accessory meant for a full size bike to a folding bike. Besides trimming the size, I need to deform shape - there are repeated adjustments moving between a vise and the bike, each time removing and putting back several mounting bolts. This screwdriver turns mountings and dismounting into nonevents.
Old 08-17-22, 09:21 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Maybe for rotor screws too. Looks cool. I use a drill with a nipple driver when building wheels as Andrew posted, could work for that.
Old 08-17-22, 09:49 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
In my experience, to work on one or a few bikes, as opposed to some sort of mass assembly process, a powered screwdriver is not necessary. Most bolts only need to be turned 5 or maybe 10 times at most, from initial assembly to tightened down. Maybe if one has mobility issues or joint pain then it could be helpful, but a foldable allen key set is likely almost as fast, and more reliable, than a powered tool in many situations.
Old 08-17-22, 10:53 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I don't see this for my self, but have learned to never say never....starting to get some arthritis in the hands......not getting older, but am getting less young

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-17-22, 12:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I use a drill with a nipple driver when building wheels as Andrew posted, could work for that.
I got a small cordless drill for building wheels, probably the summer after I'd bought my tensiometer. Worked like a charm -- I didn't have to build or rebuild any more wheels for 5-6 years, by which time the battery wouldn't hold a charge.

Oh, well.
Old 08-17-22, 12:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
My son bought that a year or so ago and thought it was the greatest thing. When he first got it, he wouldn't use a normal screwdriver for anything, always had to go get the DeWalt even when I had a regular screwdriver right there.. I seldom see him use the Dewalt power driver anymore for just the simple needs a bicycle has.
Old 08-17-22, 01:15 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I think constantly changing the driver bits would drive me nutz. Actually I know for a fact that it would drive me nutz.

I've got one of the Y shaped hex key tools with the common bicycle sizes. It works for my way of working wonderfully.

The issue is how we each prefer to work. For you the driver tool is a good fit. For me I know it would not be due to the almost constant bit swapping. I want to be able to reach down and grab what I need with one hand.

I watched a YT video on the tool. There's no doubt it's a trick item. Just not the right trick for me.

One place where it would be a total game changer is for folks with carpal tunnel or other wrist or hand concerns.
Old 08-17-22, 02:14 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I think constantly changing the driver bits would drive me nutz. Actually I know for a fact that it would drive me nutz.
It would literally drive your nuts.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-17-22, 03:30 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have a similar Dewalt model which converts between inline and pistol grip. Best thing since sliced bread. I used it to remove a kitchen's worth of cabinet hinge hardware and reinstall it after painting and it was still 2/3 charged afterward. Good torque and you can turn it manually to snug up a fastener. Simple torque setting mechanism.
It is one of the most ergonomic and intuitive tools I have used. I have two.
Old 08-17-22, 06:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
A lot of folks at the shop have a Bosch tool like that we mainly use it for rotor bolts it makes that job quick and easy.

Me personally I am happy with my Snap-On 1/4 Bit Ratchet at least at home as I rarely need to replace rotors.
Old 08-18-22, 03:38 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
They are not particularly robust, I've killed 2 at the day job, the gyro seems to stop responding.
Pretty good at winding long screws in and out and give you enough control to make stripping or snapping a screw unlikely.