Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2002 Trek 7700 FX Front Wheel rec? Also, tubes?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-06-22, 08:57 AM
Arete One

Bikes: Trek 7700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've got a 2002 Trek 7700 FX. It came with Presta wheels, and I quickly developed a distain for them, so my LBS drilled out the holes for Schraders. Not the best solution, but inexpensive. The front wheel in particular seems to keep pinching the tube, and my current LBS, which is the best one I've experienced, has found bits of metal around the hole. The real solution, of course, is to put a Schrader wheel on it.

The bike came with 700x38 tires, but as the vast majority of my riding is city streets and paved trails, with the occasional hard/slightly muddy dirt or some crushed, hard-packed gravel, I've found that the rolling resistance could be improved, so I'm going to 700x32 Gatorskins, just doing the front to start and see what I think.

I've talked to my LBS about this. They love the Gatorskins, and while they could take whatever rim I purchase and build the wheel, they strongly recommend I buy one prebuilt, as the cost of the build would be pricey. So - I'm thinking that what I'd like to get is a 18" inner-diameter Schrader front wheel, as I can't imagine ever going larger than the 38s I started with. Could I get a recommendation or two of a proven, durable prebuilt wheel for this spec?

And while I'm asking, what tube would be a good choice for 700x32 Gatorskins? Amazon recommends the "Continental Tour 28 700x32-47 40mm Schrader (Auto) Valve - 4 Pack", but the reviews suggest this tube is thinner and smaller than what most people use. I don't mind paying a few bucks more for a great, durable tube well-sized to the tire so I'm not dealing with a flat miles from home.

TIA!
Old 09-07-22, 06:23 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Arete One
I've got a 2002 Trek 7700 FX. It came with Presta wheels, and I quickly developed a distain for them, so my LBS drilled out the holes for Schraders. Not the best solution, but inexpensive.
I don't consider this a kludge at all, and I've done this to every bike I've ever owned with Presta valves. I don't have anything against Presta or anyone who prefers them; I just prefer Schraders and I make this conversion all the time. You do have to get all the metal bits out, yes. I don't agree that buying a Schrader wheel is the solution to your flat problem, though. Your rims are probably double-walled rims and you may have small bits of metal between the outer and inner wall -- a bike shop should be able to clean that out well with some compressed shop air. Also -- if the expanded drilled hole isn't cleaned up and de-burred after drilling, there can be a rough spot there that abrades a tube. Tubes are usually reinforced in this area, but I suppose it's possible. A good de-burring is the fix for that.

The bike came with 700x38 tires, but as the vast majority of my riding is city streets and paved trails, with the occasional hard/slightly muddy dirt or some crushed, hard-packed gravel, I've found that the rolling resistance could be improved, so I'm going to 700x32 Gatorskins, just doing the front to start and see what I think.
The Gatorskins will work, but just be aware that they're very firm (due to the flat protection) and I presume they'll be less comfortable than the tires you have on it now. Given the stated use (on paved trails and occasional gravel), you may not experience a perceived improvement in rolling resistance. In fact, rougher surfaces are ideal for slightly larger tires at lower pressures that deflect against, rather than bounce over, small obstacles.

And while I'm asking, what tube would be a good choice for 700x32 Gatorskins? Amazon recommends the "Continental Tour 28 700x32-47 40mm Schrader (Auto) Valve - 4 Pack", but the reviews suggest this tube is thinner and smaller than what most people use. I don't mind paying a few bucks more for a great, durable tube well-sized to the tire so I'm not dealing with a flat miles from home.
This is my go-to tube because they use threaded Schrader valves. Specialized used to make (or at least re-brand) similar tubes but I haven't seen them in a while. I haven't experienced any problems with the Conti Tour tubes and use this exact tube with all of my 622mm tires (as narrow as actual 32mm and as wide as actual 40mm).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-11-22, 09:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Gatorskins will work, but just be aware that they're very firm ride like concrete (due to the flat protection) and I presume they'll be less comfortable than the tires you have on it now. Given the stated use (on paved trails and occasional gravel), you may not experience a perceived improvement in rolling resistance. In fact, rougher surfaces are ideal for slightly larger tires at lower pressures that deflect against, rather than bounce over, small obstacles.

Fixed it for you...

However, I rode Gatorskins on my commuter for 4 + yrs give or take and never had a flat, so while they ride like crap, they are a great tire.

Likes For jaxgtr: