Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Old 07-23-13, 03:20 PM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks like a good way to die
Old 07-24-13, 12:25 PM
darukhan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another fun Birdy pic I found.... this one was posted on the Riese und Müller Facebook page back in February.

Old 07-26-13, 10:39 AM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the US. How/where can I buy newer model of XL/LT? Apparently the ones on www.birdybike.com are 2006 models, which seem to have various issues newer makes has fixed.

Edit: Bfold also carries Birdy but it only comes with Alvio or Carepso.

Last edited by CenturionIM; 07-26-13 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 10:52 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
I am in the US. How/where can I buy newer model of XL/LT? Apparently the ones on www.birdybike.com are 2006 models, which seem to have various issues newer makes has fixed.

Edit: Bfold also carries Birdy but it only comes with Alvio or Carepso.
Did you talk with Anja at BirdyBike? I'm sure she can address your concerns.. what model Birdy are you looking for? the Capreo system is a good one for small wheeled bikes looking to get good top end..
Old 07-27-13, 09:01 AM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anja got back to me saying their models are all 2013 so I guess problem solved. Can someone verify that from their pics? the only reason I ask is this post from page one of this thread:

Originally Posted by pm124
You are probably looking here: https://www.birdybike.com/Models/models.html

While these folks have done some nice things in the past, I'm very unclear about their ethics. They are one of the "authorized" US distributors. All of the bikes they sell are 2006 models. The problem is that the 2006 models went for as little as $800 in 2006. Even if they are getting the bikes from Europe and not Taiwan, the rise of the Euro could not account for the difference. You are better off buying the 2008 models off of eBay for a tiny fraction of the price from a similarly disreputable drop and ship supplier. That is the sad state of affairs of the Birdy distribution in the USA.
Old 07-27-13, 05:17 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
anja got back to me saying their models are all 2013 so I guess problem solved. Can someone verify that from their pics? the only reason I ask is this post from page one of this thread:
That post was almost 5 years ago .. I personally know Anja, and if she says what they sell now are 2013 models, then I'm sure they are..
Old 07-31-13, 07:13 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
As for the shifter: Even with no cable engaged, it won't shift beyond 6, ie. can't reach 7-8. Maybe it's broken, although I didn't use force or heard any funny noise
Turns out it was indeed broken, although the innards don't show signs of this and I heard no cracking noise while using it. I replaced the original SL-RS41-8 with a SL-RS43-8, and learned how to adjust a derailleur in the process.
Old 07-31-13, 07:18 AM
Winfried

I'm thinking of selling my entry-level World Speed for either the Touring Disc or the Speed Disc, because I prefer disk brakes and those two models provide a wider gear ratio (8.89m and 7.99m, respectively).

I would go for the Touring because of the higher gear ratio and speeds available, which is useful when going up steep hills, but the Speed is 3kg lighter (9.9kg instead of 11.8).

Are the 24 speeds on the Touring worth the extra 3kg (and money)?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Winfried; 07-31-13 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 08:16 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2 kgs not 3
Old 07-31-13, 08:21 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Going touring in all kinds of terrain - yes, definitely worth it. Mostly riding for exercise in flat to moderately hilly terrain - maybe not. Then again, I managed to do self-supported touring in the Sierra mountains with a Birdy Silver 9 speed (Capreo) - very occasionally had to walk, but mostly I thought the gear range was an excellent compromise.
Old 07-31-13, 03:58 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my entry-level World Speed for either the Touring Disc or the Speed Disc, because I prefer disk brakes and those two models provide a wider gear ratio (8.89m and 7.99m, respectively).

I would go for the Touring because of the higher gear ratio and speeds available, which is useful when going up steep hills, but the Speed is 3kg lighter (9.9kg instead of 11.8).

Thanks for any feedback.
Are you buying from that German site? What kind of price can you get locally for a birdy speed (non-disc)? In the US retails seems to be around $3000
Old 08-02-13, 01:55 PM
darukhan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm the second owner of a Birdy yellow and I have some questions that I can't seem to clearly find answers to online, so I hope you Birdy pundits can school me on this!

1) Was the Birdy Yellow only available in 2005?
2) I have the adjustable comfort stem... how many degrees is this stem? Is the angle 6 degrees?
3) Is the "Fixed Sport" stem (NON-adjustable) still available anywhere?
Old 08-02-13, 01:56 PM
darukhan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh... by the way, I really need to get some good pics of my Birdy this weekend, as I have been modifying it over the past few months.

One notable modification....
I have completely modified the stem hinge because the holes where the hinge pins were seated had become worn out and "stretched" from years of abuse due to what appeared to be an improperly adjusted hing bolt! My stem was incredibly wobbly due to the hinge pins being able to "wiggle" in the holes a bit! Kind of scary when riding at times! I'll get detailed pics of my stock hinge reconstruction/modifications. It's VERY stable now and easier to fold too!
Old 08-03-13, 04:43 PM
Winfried

Originally Posted by yangmusa
Really depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Going touring in all kinds of terrain - yes, definitely worth it. Mostly riding for exercise in flat to moderately hilly terrain - maybe not. Then again, I managed to do self-supported touring in the Sierra mountains with a Birdy Silver 9 speed (Capreo) - very occasionally had to walk, but mostly I thought the gear range was an excellent compromise.
Apparently, the Shimano Capreo adds a 34T: Can I just replace the 8 speed cassette on my World Speed with an 8-speed Capreo just to replace the last sprocket from 30 to 34, or can I replace the whole cassette with that 9-speed Capreo?

Are you buying from that German site? What kind of price can you get locally for a birdy speed (non-disc)? In the US retails seems to be around $3000
Same price from the local retailer for a Speed V-brakes: €2.250 -> $3.000.

As an alternative to selling my World Speed and buying a (Touring | Speed) disc, what simple and recommended changes could I make to the gearing system, and it is possible to replace the V-brakes with discs?
Old 08-03-13, 05:02 PM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently, the Shimano Capreo adds a 34T: Can I just replace the 8 speed cassette on my World Speed with an 8-speed Capreo just to replace the last sprocket from 30 to 34, or can I replace the whole cassette with that 9-speed Capreo?
I don't believe you can put a Capreo cassette on your existing hub. Because the Capreo 9-tooth cog is so small, they turned that smallest cog into the lock ring. The hub is correspondingly shorter than the regular hub.

One gearing option is to fit a double or triple crank up front. Thor USA sells the necessary adapter: https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/special.htm
Old 08-09-13, 02:18 AM
decyph3r

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone here had any experience in pushing their Birdy to the limit? Like going for a semi-heavy off-riding? or like a wheelie that Stijn Deferm did, or some crazy snow-biking? Share us your setup/upgrades/maintenance to keep your bikes still in full-working order. I know in Japan, which I think the Birdy capital, got some "cool" setups for cosmetics only. But I haven't seen a full-geared heavy-duty Birdy bike setup.
Old 08-12-13, 05:43 AM
Winfried

Originally Posted by yangmusa
One gearing option is to fit a double or triple crank up front. Thor USA sells the necessary adapter: https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/special.htm
Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-18-13, 02:15 AM
darukhan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by darukhan
I'm the second owner of a Birdy yellow and I have some questions that I can't seem to clearly find answers to online, so I hope you Birdy pundits can school me on this!

1) Was the Birdy Yellow only available in 2005?
2) I have the adjustable comfort stem... how many degrees is this stem? Is the angle 6 degrees?
3) Is the "Fixed Sport" stem (NON-adjustable) still available anywhere?
Does anyone have any info relate to my questions quoted above?
Old 08-19-13, 02:05 PM
decyph3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this doable on a birdy or not advisable?

Old 08-19-13, 02:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How's your Bunny Hop Skills?
Old 08-20-13, 01:55 AM
decyph3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
How's your Bunny Hop Skills?
Hmmm... Was BMXing 15 years ago, planning to hop on a bike again, and Birdy got my attention. Will mainly use it for commuting. Just curious if it can handle that kind of riding: (standing/bunny hop) just like on the vid. I won't overdo it though, will do it occasionally. Promise...

Last edited by decyph3r; 08-20-13 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 08-20-13, 08:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Well a film shoot is short term use .. YMMV, long term as regular treatment, IDK .

There was a Stunt Video, using a Brompton.. a couple months ago, reposted a few times ..
Old 08-22-13, 05:19 AM
decyph3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well a film shoot is short term use .. YMMV, long term as regular treatment, IDK .

There was a Stunt Video, using a Brompton.. a couple months ago, reposted a few times ..
Yeah, saw that Brompton crazy stunts. I guess the question is, will a Birdy withstand my "occasional" style of riding (standing/small bunny hop).

What kind of additional setup needed to make it achievable? When I say occasional, that would be like once every 20-30 rides.
Old 08-22-13, 07:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Easy question to ask .. design your own study to answer it , now..
Old 08-22-13, 10:02 AM
decyph3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy question to ask .. design your own study to answer it , now..
Well, that's not really helpful isn't it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.