Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What We Are Up Against?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What We Are Up Against?

Old 09-29-22, 08:44 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trooper2899
My experience is that most Bike haters are obese cigarette smokers and are pizzed off by the appearance of slender people on bikes on the public by-ways.......there was a popular NY radio celebrity who routinely raved about driving behind "skinny" Bikers with their "little skinny Azzes on those Little seats"......he would really go off on it - Alas he had a coronary and EXPIRED (case closed)
When in a country where obesity is uncommon, the obese American expat is a strange duck. (1) She or he somehow manages to remain obese in a place where food is healthier and walking is more common and downright necessary in daily life. (2) She or he is clearly insane and/or envious of locals and refers to them as anorexic and gets angry about them existing. This is very attractive behavior and consistently makes people who are able to date locals decide to instead date the Americans who happen to be obese and cranky.

You see this in America itself, of course, but the angry, obese American expat spouts off daily about it when over 95% of the people are a constant reminder of how poor your own health and physical appearance are.

It doesn't take much to trigger this. Just be twenty pounds overweight where almost everyone is within the BMI recommendations or is a semi-athlete.

Americans have so normalized obesity, it is insane. "Oh, when you hit 37, your waistband increases by 4 inches because your metabolism slows down." No, your metabolism falls like a rock when you're in your late 60s, not your late 30s.
Old 09-29-22, 08:49 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I do not know if I am remebering wrong or if standards changed, but obese (I thought) meant 20 lbs overweight. The CDC places it at more than 30 lbs overweight for the 5'9" male, which is pretty damn high. Fat is really light. It floats in water. A single pound of fat is a lot more volume than you would imagine it to be.
Old 09-29-22, 10:23 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
I do not know if I am remebering wrong or if standards changed, but obese (I thought) meant 20 lbs overweight. The CDC places it at more than 30 lbs overweight for the 5'9" male, which is pretty damn high. Fat is really light. It floats in water. A single pound of fat is a lot more volume than you would imagine it to be.
The key word here is 'over'. For at 100lb male, 20lb of fat is 20% bodyfat. Normal is around 15%. So he would be 5lb overweight.

But for a 200lb male, 20lb of fat is 10% and that's lean perhaps on the verge of underweight.

We are assuming non-body builders who target 5% body fat.

Now let's say we have a 150lb male. Normal bodyfat content should be around 15%. That would make his body fat around 22.5lb and his muscle mass, organs and bones to be 127.5lb.

For another guy with 127.5lb bone, organs and muscle mass but 20lb overweight, he would be 170lb with 42.5lb of bodyfat. That's 25% bodyfat on the verge of obesity. 30lb overweight would make him 180lbs with 29% bodyfat.

There are many methods of measuring bodyfat but the most accurate would be weighting the subject underwater to capture the weight of muscle, organs and bone only and subtract that from the total bodyweight from a normal scale..

These numbers are for illustrated purposes. In reality, they are in ranges which depend on the individual and interpretation by his doctor.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-29-22 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 11:48 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 473 Posts
We all know who these violent people are (their idealogy) and we also know what to do about them. The only thing they respond to is power. Unfortunate but true.