Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much longer on cracked rim?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 09:22 PM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Cracks at 10 of 36 spoke nipples. Touring with no options for new rim. Cracks extend 10-20mm parallel to rim. How much longer might it last?
Old 11-03-22, 10:09 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
We had a 32 spoke rear rim on our tandem crack just like that. It lasted about 25 miles from when I first noticed it. We are a very heavy team, and we ride on a lot of very rough roads.

I also had a 20 spoke rear rim crack like that on my solo bike and I swapped it out immediately. My expectation is that you will need to replace the rim, and fairly soon. Keep us updated and good luck.
Old 11-04-22, 12:02 AM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Additional details, wheel is true and spokes are tight when pressed. Spokes are creaking when going slowly on steep climbs. No sound when rolling quickly.
Old 11-04-22, 12:39 AM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dstke
Cracks at 10 of 36 spoke nipples. Touring with no options for new rim. Cracks extend 10-20mm parallel to rim. How much longer might it last?
have you contacted Velocity? I have heard them to be exceptionally accommodating in these situations , often overnighting a replacement to your next destination
Old 11-04-22, 05:46 AM
Thebucket71

Bikes: CoMotion tandem, All City fixie, Cannondale road bike, fold-up bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I just had an Astral Outback rim crack on my four months old CoMotion Java. It's their mountain/adventure model and the rim cracked from hitting a pothole. I just dropped off the wheel this past week at a local bike shop to have it re-spoked to a new Velocity rim because I don't trust another Astral rim. Have new 700x38 gravel tires with 70 psi. not sure if I should go with a wider tire with less psi to absorb the impact of the road. Plan on doing the Gap trail in the spring and overnights next summer and I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road with all the gear.
Old 11-13-22, 11:59 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I would not ride that it is a potential safety issue.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 11-13-22, 12:37 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
It’s been a bit since this was posted, so hopefully this ended well. A few thoughts:
1. When encountering a new problem of unknown progression, inspect. If it passes inspection, proceed. If no changes you can gradually up your inspection interval.
2. If the rear rim matches the front you can always relace and then drop in a front wheel from a single, which should be more widely available.
Old 11-17-22, 06:50 AM
dstke

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Made it! 662 miles, 68,000' feet of climbing. One more broken spoken. Continued creaking but the rim held together. Will replace as soon as I get back home
Likes For dstke: