Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Crank Spindle Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-22, 02:59 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts

I recently found a rider-quality SunTour XCM triple drive side crank I plan to use for a future build. It's 110/74mm BCD. Here's a photo:

From the logo, based on SunTour catalogs available at the Disraeli Gears website it appears to be a 1991 model.

I'm pretty sure this crank was used in both double and triple configurations. Unfortunately, so far I've been unable to find spindle length info for this crank for either double or triple chainring configs. The last SunTour catalog I've been able to find that gave spindle length info was from the mid-1980s (also on the Disraeli Gears site).

From that mid-1980s reference, I'd guess 117mm for double and 125mm for triple configs. But I really don't know.

Can any of our SunTour experts either (1) point me at a definitive source that would tell me those spindle lengths, or (2) tell me from personal experience what length works, preferably for both 2x and 3x? The 2x info is more critical, as I'll likely be setting it up that way initially.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-20-22, 03:22 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
This might be a shot in the dark, but here is Sheldon Brown's page which shows various makers cranks and their respective BB sizes.

What I'm thinking is perhaps you might be able to compare the Suntour crank to a similar Shimano and start there.

In any case, it seems for the triples, except for one that I noticed, the length doesn't exceed 122.5mm, so based on that, you might consider that the top end. And your estimate of 117mm might be good, but it might be a tad high.

Hopefully someone has more/better info to help you. Good luck!

P.S. I tried velobase.com with little luck. Here is the appropriate page. The page on the crank itself was of no help on spindle length.
https://velobase.com/ListComponents....7-e8e9d9083a63
Old 11-20-22, 05:18 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Later catalogs on Velobase.

https://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx
Old 11-20-22, 05:23 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by TugaDude
This might be a shot in the dark, but here is Sheldon Brown's page which shows various makers cranks and their respective BB sizes.

What I'm thinking is perhaps you might be able to compare the Suntour crank to a similar Shimano and start there.

In any case, it seems for the triples, except for one that I noticed, the length doesn't exceed 122.5mm, so based on that, you might consider that the top end. And your estimate of 117mm might be good, but it might be a tad high.

Hopefully someone has more/better info to help you. Good luck!

P.S. I tried velobase.com with little luck. Here is the appropriate page. The page on the crank itself was of no help on spindle length.
https://velobase.com/ListComponents....7-e8e9d9083a63
Thanks. I actually checked both of those sources before finding the mid-1980s SunTour catalog with earlier SunTour BB spindle length info on Disraeli.

Unfortunately, neither those nor the 1990 and 1991 SunTour catalogs at Disraeli had the info I needed. Sheldon Brown's bottom bracket database doesn' t list the XCM crank at all. As you noted, the Velobase link for the crank doesn't have the spindle length required for either the XCM 2x or 3x config.

The info in the mid-1980s SunTour catalog may or may not be applicable, since the XCM triple crank seems to date from around 1990. The later catalogs do specify the SunTour BB model for the XCM, and it isn't the same one; it may or may not have used the same spindle length. Plus, the XCM is from after SunTour released Accushift; their mid-1980s catalog listing spindle lengths is pre-Accushift. That might be a factor too; dunno.

Again, thanks. I do hope someone out there has/can point me at the info I'm looking for. I realy don't want to go the "trial and error" route if I don't have to.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-20-22 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-20-22, 05:38 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts
From a Suntour '90 Model Bicycle Components Features & Specifications catalog:

Last edited by hazetguy; 11-20-22 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 11-20-22, 06:00 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts
From a 1991 Suntour Product Line catalog.
Note that it is mentioned that the 1991 crank has been "revised" and the pic for 1991 shows the same markings as on your crank arm.
There appear to be a couple different bottom brackets available for 1991, one English, one Italian thread. No axle length is given, but the markings are.

Last edited by hazetguy; 11-20-22 at 06:05 PM.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 11-20-22, 06:01 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Playing Fast and Loose...

Originally Posted by Hondo6
I recently found a rider-quality SunTour XCM triple drive side crank I plan to use for a future build. It's 110/74mm BCD. Here's a photo:
From the logo, based on SunTour catalogs available at the Disraeli Gears website it appears to be a 1991 model.
I'm pretty sure this crank was used in both double and triple configurations. Unfortunately, so far I've been unable to find spindle length info for this crank for either double or triple chainring configs. The last SunTour catalog I've been able to find that gave spindle length info was from the mid-1980s (also on the Disraeli Gears site).

From that mid-1980s reference, I'd guess 117mm for double and 125mm for triple configs. But I really don't know.

Can any of our SunTour experts ... tell me from personal experience what length works, preferably for both 2x and 3x? The 2x info is more critical, as I'll likely be setting it up that way initially.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Not a "Suntour Expert" but shouldn't really matter as that's a Sakae (SR) crank. Not a Sakae Expert either, so there is that...

1990 Schwinn Voyageur picked up this past spring had a Sakae XCE crank, with a absolutely useless BB. BB spindle had posts like the ones for the XCE and XCM in hazelnutguy's reply here:

Originally Posted by hazetguy
From a Suntour '90 Model Bicycle Components Features & Specifications catalog:

Measuring excluding the bolt post things yielded 125 mm and so used a 127mm BB-UN55 had laying around. Chainline's perfect for the triple. Have no experience with a double.

From hazyguy's data sheet, the XCM is takes a BB spindle 2mm or so shorter then the XCE, so perhaps you can extrapolate to like 122.5 for the triple and 115 for the double?

Good luck!

Last edited by machinist42; 11-20-22 at 11:07 PM. Reason: corrected spindle length Because found glasses
Old 11-20-22, 06:04 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by hazetguy
From a 1991 Suntour Product Line catalog.
Note that it is mentioned that the 1991 crank has been "revised" and the pic for 1991 shows the same markings as on your crank arm.
There appear to be a couple different bottom brackets available for 1991? No axle length is given, but the marking is.

I owe you one, @hazetguy. N-3T is a standard 68mm BB spindle, and I have the docs to decode that re: length.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-20-22 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-20-22, 06:10 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by machinist42
Not a "Suntour Expert" but shouldn't really matter as that's a Sakae (SR) crank. Not a Sakae Expert either, so there is that...

1990 Schwinn Voyageur picked up this past spring had a Sakae XCE crank, with a absolutely useless BB. BB spindle had posts like the ones for the XCE and XCM in hazelnutguy's reply here:

Measuring excluding the bolt post things yielded 125 mm and so used a 125 BB-UN55 had laying around. Chainline's perfect for the triple. Have no experience with a double.

From hazyguy's data sheet, the XCM is takes a BB spindle 2mm or so shorter then the XCE, so perhaps you can extrapolate to like 122.5 for the triple and 115 for the double?

Good luck!
Thanks. The N-3T spindle hazetguy's doc references is 126mm in length, per the Indian Standards Organization document Sheldon Brown references somewhere on his website (it's in PDF, and I have a copy stored locally). I think I've located a source for one of those and have it bookmarked.
Old 11-20-22, 06:45 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Spin On

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Thanks. The N-3T spindle hazetguy's doc references is 126mm in length, per the Indian Standards Organization document Sheldon Brown references somewhere on his website (it's in PDF, and I have a copy stored locally). I think I've located a source for one of those and have it bookmarked.
Jon's source notwithstanding, the actual spindle stock with the XCE triple crank on the 1990 Voyageur was a 3S.

Likely doesn't make a lick of difference?

Old 11-20-22, 07:06 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by machinist42
Jon's source notwithstanding, the actual spindle stock with the XCE triple crank on the 1990 Voyageur was a 3S.

Likely doesn't make a lick of difference?

Maybe not. His second doc says that the chainline tolerance is +/- 1.5mm - and the 3S and 3T only differ by 1.5mm.

But the difference in length for those two spindles is all on the drive side (39mm flange to taper end for the 3T drive side vice 37.5mm for the 3S drive side), so that puts things at the edge of tolerance. I think I'll go with the 3T, since that's what's specified in his 1991 doc and that appears to be the model of the XCM drive side crankarm I have.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-21-22, 07:25 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Let us know how it works out and good luck!
Old 11-21-22, 10:26 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
The similar cranks I have worked on from that era run 125 or so effective spindle length I believe they spec 125.5 as the charts show. If you running the standard size small chain ring a modern sealed 125 should clear everything and give you a fairly good chain and tread line. If needed you can add 1-2 mm spacing to either side of the BB to adjust some.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-21-22, 11:39 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Great advice here already but I'll give you my down and dirty way to do this with any square taper. I assemble the drive side and take it to my favorite bike shop where they have the 4 popular sizes of Shimano. I hand press it on each bb to see which looks like it wouldn't interfere when tightened. It usually gets me plenty close and the Shimano bbs work well. This doesn't help when you have esoteric stuff but it will get you a working setup for cheap.