Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery bike with cracked head tube

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery bike with cracked head tube

Old 11-20-22, 06:23 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
With that countersunk pattern in the lugs and the location of the crack, what about the possibility of it being a novice framebuilder's custom frame? It would explain the crack; they may have cooked the top headlug in the process
Thinking about this, would a novice builder’s bike typically have chromed socks? That seems like an extravagance beyond most new builders’ means. Of course, if this is a forty year old novice build, then perhaps getting the chrome done back then was relatively cheap and easy.

Originally Posted by scarlson
The bike is very cool and possibly worth it if you wanted to try your hand. If you were in the area I'd offer. It would be fun. You could also add proper cable and water bottle braze-ons. Put on posts for cantis or centerpulls if you don't like those anemic sidepulls. Get a wet paint job to preserve the chrome socks, maybe with contrasting color in those dots. It would be a bangin ride after all that.
Heh, be careful with such generous offers - I’m often up the road from you in Burlington/Billerica.

But I’m really not planning to acquire this as I’m trying to get away from these sorts of money pit projects.
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 11-21-22, 11:18 AM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Oh sure, only bring out half of the holy grail of okie repairs. God of Bailing wire I implore you to strike fear into the hearts of these unbelievers!
Slap a band clamp around the head tube and make sure the headset's snugged down.

Then bailing wire.

Then duct tape.
Likes For RandolphCarter:
Old 11-21-22, 11:37 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Slap a band clamp around the head tube and make sure the headset's snugged down.

Then bailing wire.

Then duct tape.

-----

...and lettuce not forget the entreaties to Allah...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-21-22, 03:23 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,065 Posts
That repair isn't terribly difficult, and the frame looks like it might be worth it.

Duane Draper is a custom framebuilder in Seattle who just recently did a headtube replacement on a bike even cheaper or less worthy than this one. Here's his Flickr album about it.

He's sort of in the middle ground between a hobbyist and a pro. He does sell frames (I think) but it's a part-time gig for him. Still, he does great work, especially his lugless fillet brazed frames. Nice guy too, solid and reliable. Not sure if he has a website; a brief search shows Facebook and Insta but I don't go there. He's on BF as duanedr

I hope to hang out my shingle as a Pro/Hobbyist FB some day, soon I hope, and I'll take in repairs like this, but I'm not ready yet. Once I've built a couple frames for me & Laurie, and done a couple repairs that are in the queue, I'll have work to show. But for now all I have is "My Brilliant Career" from 25+ years ago when I used to be a full-time pro. Let's see if I still remember how!

Mark B
Old 11-21-22, 04:12 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
That repair isn't terribly difficult, and the frame looks like it might be worth it.

Duane Draper is a custom framebuilder in Seattle who just recently did a headtube replacement on a bike even cheaper or less worthy than this one. Here's his Flickr album about it.
Gunnar Caylor replaced a head tube for me once, he added some scrollwork lugs as well. If the frame is worth it it could be repaired. Beautifully.
Old 11-22-22, 06:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Makes me wonder was the tube just under much trapped stress?
one would have to strip the frame down then review.
be very interested if the top and the lower section of the frame either side of the break is twisted?
that could help guide the repair.
don't want to build that possible twist back in
Old 11-22-22, 08:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter

Then bailing wire.

Then duct tape.
First JB the band clamp, then secure the ductape with zipties.