Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

V-brakes vs. Center-pull brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

V-brakes vs. Center-pull brakes

Old 11-25-22, 10:35 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Ummm... no, it isn't.

You were wrong all along-

It was not a Pony, it was an Excel.
Pony was an unbelievably crappily made rear wheel drive car that was never sold in the US.
Excel was an unbelievably crappily made front wheel drive car that WAS sold in the US.

Maybe some of the other stuff you said was correct, but I can't be bothered to look if you don't have the respect for the history of Hyundai in the USA that I think is appropriate.
And I'm glad to stand corrected, but at least I'm not you! How pathetic.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 11-25-22, 12:05 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
cyccommute Rolla sjanzeir Jeff Neese

'Direct pull' brakes are absolutely defined by the way the cable is oriented across the top of the arms. These brakes fix a design flaw with centre-pull cantilever brakes - that the more you pull on the brake, the higher the yoke goes and therefore the less leverage the brake has working to stop the bike. 'Direct pull' brakes have the cable pulling the arms straight together, so doubling force at the lever will approximately double the force at the brake, while doubling the force at the lever for a centre-pull cantilever makes some increase less than double the force at the brake. This is not to say cantis are necessarily bad brakes - I have had many great rides on canti equipped bikes on rough terrain, but decent quality V brakes (direct pull) were an immediate upgrade when they came out.

And how do we know that it is the cable orientation and not the amount of cable pull that defines linear-pull brakes? Because there are 'short pull' linear pull brakes for touring/Cx/bmx bikes that use the same short-pull levers as you would use with road calipers or cantilever brakes. There are also cable-actuated disc brakes that work with short pull levers. The difference between the brakes is the way the cable actuates the arms, not the amount of cable puleld.
I always hate to reference Wikipedia because it just seems lazy, but in this case it's easier than trying to explain the same thing over and over. Again, it has nothing to do with physical orientation. It's about cable pull.

Wikipedia - Bicycle brake

Since there is no intervening mechanism between the cable and the arms, the design is called "direct-pull". And since the arms move the same distance that the cable moves with regard to its housing, the design is also called "linear-pull".

It's that 1:1 ratio of cable pull to brake arm movement that gives it the name linear pull. That's what it has always meant. A 1:1 ratio is referred to as "linear" in many other areas of physics, mechanics, electronics, etc. - not just bicycle brakes.

When you have a straddle cable and yoke as part of the mechanism (cantilever, center pull), the brake arm response in relationship to the cable movement is not linear.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 11-25-22 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 01:20 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I always hate to reference Wikipedia because it just seems lazy, but in this case it's just easier. Again, it has nothing to do with physical orientation, and only about cable pull.

Wikipedia - Bicycle brake

Since there is no intervening mechanism between the cable and the arms, the design is called "direct-pull". And since the arms move the same distance that the cable moves with regard to its housing, the design is also called "linear-pull".

It's that 1:1 ratio of cable pull to brake arm movement that gives it the name linear pull. That's what it has always meant. A 1:1 ratio is referred to as "linear" in many other areas of physics, mechanics, electronics, etc. - not just bicycle brakes.
If you bothered to read the rest of the article that you linked, it describes the brakes' configuration as "the cable housing attached to one arm and the cable to the other". The 'linear' pull comes from the cable configuration which is common to all V brakes. That's what makes 'linear' brakes what they are. If you know of a type of 'linear pull' brake with a different cable arrangement I am happy to admit I am wrong.
Old 11-25-22, 03:29 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
so correcting people on the distinction only indicates who in the discussion thinks too highly of their own intelligence.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-25-22, 04:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,358 Times in 7,194 Posts
...I never use the brakes on my bike. They only slow me down.
Old 11-25-22, 10:49 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
A turbocharged 285hp V6 with an air-to-water intercooler and permanent AWD... yeah, what could possibly be complicated about that?
It's really not. No more complicated than a regular Jimmy with the regular n/a 190hp 4.3 with rear or 4wd. The awd system ain't special it's a BorgWarner t-case chain drive with a 60/40 split shared with the Bravada Smart Trak and awd Astro/Safari they got the system from. The front axle is the same as the 4wd sans the locking hubs.
Old 11-25-22, 10:52 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
It's really not. No more complicated than a regular Jimmy with the regular n/a 190hp 4.3 with rear or 4wd. The awd system ain't special it's a BorgWarner t-case chain drive with a 60/40 split shared with the Bravada Smart Trak and awd Astro/Safari they got the system from. The front axle is the same as the 4wd sans the locking hubs.
If I had met you back then, I would've gladly sold it to you for a song. You missed out on a great bargain m
Old 11-26-22, 01:29 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
If I had met you back then, I would've gladly sold it to you for a song. You missed out on a great bargain m
If there was a way I could've gotten it, I would have. I wanted to make a clone outta my Blazer.
Old 11-26-22, 02:08 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts