Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Racks for Peugeot U-08

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Racks for Peugeot U-08

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 08:13 PM
sigster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Racks for Peugeot U-08

Hello,

I recently purchased a sort of custom bike (the sellers, a local bike shop in town, call it a gravel commuter) with a Peugeot U-08 frame. I ended up getting a pletscher rack for the back, but have no clue what to do about the front. Any rack recommendations that don't rely on the mid-line grommet or that won't interfere with my racer brakes on the front fork would be appreciated.
Likes For sigster:
Old 09-04-22, 09:35 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by sigster
I recently purchased a sort of custom bike (the sellers, a local bike shop in town, call it a gravel commuter) with a Peugeot U-08 frame. I ended up getting a pletscher rack for the back, but have no clue what to do about the front. Any rack recommendations that don't rely on the mid-line grommet or that won't interfere with my racer brakes on the front fork would be appreciated.
The TA rack that bolts to a Racer brake is small and cute and French, would that appeal?

Whatever weight it carries is all cantilevered off the brake's mounting bolt at the crown, so I recommend it for light loads only. I've used mine for decades with some heavy-ish loads like bags of groceries, 6-packs, dunno what my max was but that bolt is surprisingly strong.

Oh er um my rack is actually mounted to a Weinmann brake, though the rack is designed to fit on a Mafac. Maybe my Swiss bolt is stronger than a French bolt? They're both 6 mm though.

BTW there were at least two brakes called Racer, from CLB as well as Mafac. CLB is less common. Maybe the rack works on CLB too, but I don't know, never tried it. I'm assuming your brake is a Mafac, let us know if that's not correct.

There's also a Pletscher rack for the front, kinda rare though. Not as easthetically pleasing as a TA either IMHO.

Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-04-22, 09:36 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...eur-front-rack

or

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-anywhere.html

edit: bulgie beat me to the TA rack.
Old 09-05-22, 07:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
. .

There's also a Pletscher rack for the front, kinda rare though. Not as easthetically pleasing as a TA either IMHO.

They might be rare but when I tried to sell one a few years ago nobody wanted one.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-05-22, 11:29 AM
sigster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will keep these options in mind going forward. Probably not going to buy just yet though.
Old 09-05-22, 02:05 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
The TA racks are super cool, but lately they seem to be going for $100 or more on fleabay...... You may have better luck with eBay.fr (esp with $/€ near parity). Another alternative is the Dia-Compe ENE front rack- I've seen those on fleabay for $40-something...
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 09-05-22, 05:41 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Do you want a front rack to support a handlebar bag or something more substantial?