Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain cleaning fluid reccos

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 07:42 AM
benjamin163

Bikes: Hoy Shizuoka, Condor Acciaio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hello,
I have one of those Park Tool chain cleaning kits which attach to the chain and run it through a chamber full of fluid to get the chain nice and clean.
I have run out of fluid.
When I go online it seems there are different types of cleaner and mostly ones where you steep the part in the fluid which means taking the bike components off the bike.
Can someone recommend the correct fluid to be using with one of these chain cleaning tools.
Any help is gratefully received. Thank you.
Old 10-05-22, 10:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Whatever works in a drip and soak system will work with your chain cleaner except the strongest chemicals which might attack the plastic itself.

Though I've never been a fan of water/detergent cleaners, they might be your best option because on the bike chain cleaning is pretty messy, and it's easier to clean up that liquid then a mineral spirit type solvent.

Of course, if you were happy using what Park originally provided you can go back to their site and get info on what they recommend.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-05-22, 11:29 AM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
A citrus cleaner is usually supplied with the chain cleaners I’ve seen.

I set a mortar tub under the chain and a thin flexible plastic cutting board behind the chain, into the tub. Compressed air and rags to help dry the chain before oiling.
Old 10-06-22, 06:04 AM
BJack312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I use Dawn dish liquid, and it gets my chain as clean as any other degreaser that I have used.
Likes For BJack312:
Old 10-06-22, 06:40 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I find that for a quick degreasing while cleaning the rest of the bike, spray on degreaser and then soap and water work well. For a deep clean, removing the chain and putting it in a container with solvent, shaking it around a good bit, then air dry, gets the chain as clean as it is going to get. Leave the solvent in the container and it can be used numerous times. Also, it does not take that much solvent to work. A drop of oil on each link/pin, then wipe the chain with a rag and it helps to minimize the gunk build up. I tried waxing for a while, did not like it.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-06-22, 07:29 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I have tried everything in the Park tool I only use on the recumbent trike chain I ride a time or two every week due to the trike's very long chain. What works best has been OMS which is not difficult for me as my wife uses OMS in her art work so filtering, settling and disposing of the gunk is something I do anyway. If I did not handle OMS for other reasons I would use the water based approach, Dawn or one like the Park cleaner as it does nearly as nice a job and is much easier to handle. I use OMS in a glass bowl in a ultrasonic cleaner for my upright bike chains.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-06-22, 07:43 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Another vote for Odorless Mineral Spirits BUT, I'm pretty sure but not positive, that all the plastic pieces in your cleaner will be OK so hopefully one of the resident chemists will chime in. OMS will cut through chain gunk better than any water based cleaner and can be saved in a jar so that the gunk settles to the bottom and you can just pour off the clean solvent to be used over and over again. This is more environmentally friendly as well since you're not pouring gunk filled used cleaners down the drain or into your garden.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-07-22, 10:51 AM
kitbiggz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I like to take the chain off soak in simple green. Then simple green the jockey wheels and chainring. That usually gets the drive train spotless. relube chain off the bike and remove the excess lube. A very light coating is best.
Old 10-07-22, 11:21 AM
benjamin163

Bikes: Hoy Shizuoka, Condor Acciaio

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
So many great answers here I may try all of them!
Thank you.
I ended up using muc off spray eco cleaner which I sprayed onto the chain and cassette.
I then used the Park Tool with soapy water to do the chain and just a rag and soapy water for the cassette.
I then jet sprayed the lot and left to dry before lubing the chain.
Seems to have done the job.
Also, if anyone's interested, I looked on a few sites that rated different products and Juice Lubes name came up often so that may be another to try.
Thanks again for the replies.