Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Let's visit the lake !

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Let's visit the lake !

Old 01-24-22, 02:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Let's visit the lake !

Get a little snow and follow that up with almost a week of freezing temps and you get some great trail conditions. It also means the lakes get frozen over and you get to go play on the frozen water.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 01-24-22, 05:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
oh man that looks like a blast especially riding from the ice onto the island or what looked like an island. nice ride-by, big lake? any islands?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-24-22, 07:39 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man that looks like a blast especially riding from the ice onto the island or what looked like an island. nice ride-by, big lake? any islands?
This is a smaller lake that goes into swamp land that is now frozen, so it looks like an island. Temps are going up Tuesday but should be dropping back down so the trails should still be in great shape to ride this weekend.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 01-25-22, 10:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I love riding frozen lakes! In Minnesota, we get months of frozen lakes, but it get difficult to ride as the snow gets deep. Sometimes we get lucky with clear ice (studded tires highly recommended!):

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-25-22, 10:42 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I love riding frozen lakes! In Minnesota, we get months of frozen lakes, but it get difficult to ride as the snow gets deep. Sometimes we get lucky with clear ice (studded tires highly recommended!):

https://youtu.be/8_rkhkmQRp8
Looks like a blast. Terrifying, but a blast.

My worry would be that I'd go fast enough not to notice that the ice was getting too thin. Six inches was my minimum when I was young and dumb and lived in the Midwest. But this looks pretty much like the dead of winter, so I'd imagine you're all good.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 01-25-22, 10:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Chinghis
Looks like a blast. Terrifying, but a blast.

My worry would be that I'd go fast enough not to notice that the ice was getting too thin. Six inches was my minimum when I was young and dumb and lived in the Midwest. But this looks pretty much like the dead of winter, so I'd imagine you're all good.
I have a rule about getting out on lake ice in the winter: wait one week after the last report of a F-150 going through the ice. For reference: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...s-urge-caution Honestly, it happens many times, every year, at the start and end of the season, and with Lake Minnetonka in a heavily populated area, there's always somebody driving out there with a truck, snowmobile, ATV, ....

Many smaller lakes in the area have groomed tracks for Nordic skiing, if the groomers have been out, the lake ice is safe for a biker.

Additionally, having grown up in the area and spend a lot of time on the lake ice, I know the dangerous areas: channels under bridges; pressure ridges on larger lake; and area where creeks flow into or out of the lake.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-25-22, 11:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
just don't ride on the Charles River in Boston, OK?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-25-22, 11:30 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I have a rule about getting out on lake ice in the winter: wait one week after the last report of a F-150 going through the ice. For reference: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...s-urge-caution Honestly, it happens many times, every year, at the start and end of the season, and with Lake Minnetonka in a heavily populated area, there's always somebody driving out there with a truck, snowmobile, ATV, ....

Many smaller lakes in the area have groomed tracks for Nordic skiing, if the groomers have been out, the lake ice is safe for a biker.

Additionally, having grown up in the area and spend a lot of time on the lake ice, I know the dangerous areas: channels under bridges; pressure ridges on larger lake; and area where creeks flow into or out of the lake.
That's a great rule of thumb. And, yeah, the little things about walking on a frozen lake are starting to come back. It's been a long time.

Honestly, these videos just make me want to go (ice) fishing ....
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 01-25-22, 01:14 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Rivers and creeks are a NOPE! for me ... with very rare exceptions.

Exceptions: Shallow creeks, if you break through, you can stand on the bottom; or we have a winter with temps that go weeks and weeks without a thaw ... like back in 2014 when we had 53 days with a temps at or below 0, including a 17 day streak. With a winter that cold, damned near everything is frozen solid!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-25-22, 01:57 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Once I see the snowmobiles playing on the ice that's my sign, I can start playing on it also.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 03-29-22, 01:40 AM
Chrisyang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
You are comforting yourself.
Old 03-29-22, 09:14 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
That was everyone's favorite cycling hooligan, Lucas Brunelle.

I didn't get out on any of the creeks or ponds in the city at all this year. The snow depth and frequent drifting prevented a decent trail from forming. But the fat bike trails around the park were really good this year. The weight of motorized groomer caused it to intermittently sink so it created a nice chain of rollers.
Likes For gecho: