Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Igh lifespans

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Igh lifespans

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 05:45 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Igh lifespans

Hi folks, just a quick question to all you bike mechanics out there. I have an opportunity to purchase what is described as a trek soho, 2007 model, with the alfine 8 igh and gates carbon belt. However, the trek catalog shows the 2007 model to have a derailleur and a gear cluster. The bike is on cl with no pictures, just a description. That being said, how long is the alfine igh usually good for? Were there problems with it, is it easily adjusted? Thanks for any enlightenment.
Old 05-07-22, 11:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
One issue with that bike is the belt drive. The belt's tension is a constant force on the hub's driver. Some IGHs were better at dealing with this added stress than others are. I don't know that specific hub's reputation about this. I'll also mention that Trek did have a belt drive version of one (or more?) of their bikes which used a poorly designed version. I might only consider a Gates CenterTrack version. Andy
Old 05-07-22, 04:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I have a bike with a Nexus 8-speed hub that has almost 10,000 miles on it. I have serviced it about once a year, and it appears virtually un-worn. I am not sure about the differences, if any, between the Nexus and Alfine series hubs, but I think they have a good reputation for reliability. There are some e-bikes that use Nexus (or maybe Alfine) hubs, so there must be some robustness that is missing from the Alfine 11-speed hub, which AFAIK is not used in e-bikes. As Andy says, there's more pull on the hub from a belt system than from a chain, but it seems likely that the hub can handle it.
HERE'S a bike with an Alfine 8-speed hub that uses a belt. HERE'S an e-bike with a belt drive that uses a Nexus-8. Hope this helps.
EDIT: My experience with the Nexus-8 is that they are easy to adjust and service. I actually have two Nexus-8s (one "standard" and one "premium") on separate wheels (duh!) which are perfectly interchangeable, with no shift cable adjustments needed when they are swapped. These hubs have to be opened for lubrication service, but this is an easy procedure. My Alfine-11, which has over 10,000 miles on it, has never been opened. It gets an oil change about every 800 miles... even easier than the Nexus service.

Last edited by sweeks; 05-07-22 at 04:37 PM.
Likes For sweeks: