Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

trek 800, old school

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

trek 800, old school

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 05:05 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
trek 800, old school

hi, ran across a trek 800, multitrack i'm thinking, along the lines of the older 700 series bikes. are these steel frame bikes? any good? this one doesn't have a seat or seatpost and wondering if its going to be hard to find a seatpost for it. thanks, j
Old 05-16-22, 07:45 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my '95 800 Sport and have been cycling and commuting on it since Dec 2013.

The bike (like mine) should be Cro-Moly Steel. I've flipped it a few times at relatively low speeds an the only damage has been to me! I've gone from a 3x7 to a 1x9, attached whatever I've wanted (racks, etc.) and almost exclusively from donors, sales and basic good parts. It is a resilient beast

It uses a standard, old mtb seat post, so shouldn't be hard to find. A little search-fu should result in the online pdf for the model, along with specs" https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...d/1995trek.pdf
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-16-22, 08:06 AM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
trek antelope

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I absolutely LOVE my '95 800 Sport and have been cycling and commuting on it since Dec 2013.

The bike (like mine) should be Cro-Moly Steel. I've flipped it a few times at relatively low speeds an the only damage has been to me! I've gone from a 3x7 to a 1x9, attached whatever I've wanted (racks, etc.) and almost exclusively from donors, sales and basic good parts. It is a resilient beast

It uses a standard, old mtb seat post, so shouldn't be hard to find. A little search-fu should result in the online pdf for the model, along with specs" https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...d/1995trek.pdf
thanks, this one has antelope on the top tube, and 800 on the tube under the seat, are those 26 inch wheeled bikes? how about weight. are they heavy?
Old 05-16-22, 01:12 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

2018 Review: https://www.bmxonline.com/trek-antelope-800-review/

Mostly pluses, some minuses, "lowest quality" of Trek. Read the whole (short) review. Gives good context and qualifiers for the aforementioned. The stock bike is quoted at 32 lbs. Other specs are at the bottom of the page.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-16-22, 03:52 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
frame and fork appears to be on the lower end of the 'bike shop bike' steel frames - mix of chromoly and 'high ten' steel

the more desirable steel frames will be all chromoly - most times butted (double and/or triple butted) - often constructed of Tange or True Temper or Columbus or Reynolds thin wall tubing - TIG and/or lugged - and typically weigh less than a lower end steel frame
Old 05-16-22, 07:04 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by jdogg111
thanks, this one has antelope on the top tube, and 800 on the tube under the seat, are those 26 inch wheeled bikes?
Yes, 26", but there are conversions to larger wheels. Provided the wheel and tire has clearance. From the vids I've seen, brake conversions are the easy part.
Old 05-29-22, 06:23 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts

saw this Trek 850 Antelope at a flea market this morning