Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new (road) bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 11:31 AM
void_presence

Bikes: Diamondback Atroz 2; Marin Gestalt 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Greetings,

I currently have a mountain bike (a Diamondback Atros 2) but recently I've decided that I'm going to get a road/'gravel' bike as most of my riding is on pavement anyway, and the MTB isn't --shall we say--geared for speed. I've been doing some research and I've more or less settled on a Trek Domane AL 2 (or the disc variety); unfortunately it seems to be sold out.
I know it's a scarce market out there due to supply chain issues, but any other comparable models out there? thoughts?

FYI, I'm in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
Thanks!
Old 06-09-22, 03:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale and many other name brand bicycle maker's have great choices for you.

What's sold locally near you?

Welcome to BF!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-11-22, 01:58 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I was just last week in market for a new bike. I wanted a lower step-over height due to recent neurological issues with my legs. Wanted a sloping TT. I never thought for s second about a new bike. There's a huge variety of used bikes every shape size type geometry on eBay. Only took me a week to find just what I wanted.
Old 06-14-22, 01:44 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
It is a $$ issue. how much ya wanna spend. some good used deals but make sure regardless that the bike is correct size 4 u.
good luck.
Old 06-14-22, 02:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
I think it would be difficult for someone buying his or her first road bike to get the correct sized frame without some measurements and fitting by a local bike shop. I am not talking about a full professional fitting, but I was extensively measured by an REI mechanic who set up two adjacent sizes of the same model, and further adjusted the saddle after short test rides, to help me choose the right size for my first road bike. After buying and further adjusting that first road bike, I now have the knowledge about how other frames would or would not fit me.

void_presence If you ware looking at aluminum frames, the entry level offerings from the four major brands listed by Iride01 are comparably equipped and competitively priced, so just visit your local bike shops to test ride as many of them as you feasibly can.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 06-14-22 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 07:51 PM
void_presence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
UPDATE: I settled on a Marin Gestalt 1 (2022); it's being built and should be on its way to me in a day or two...hopefully.
Old 06-17-22, 05:15 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

This is good advice, Smelly! But LBS's vary in how well they "fit" you, and they're interested in selling you a bike based on their current inventory, so I'm not sure you always get a good fit from LBS. Many times you'll get what kinda fits from their inventory. Best to shop around if there are several local LBS.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I think it would be difficult for someone buying his or her first road bike to get the correct sized frame without some measurements and fitting by a local bike shop. I am not talking about a full professional fitting, but I was extensively measured by an REI mechanic who set up two adjacent sizes of the same model, and further adjusted the saddle after short test rides, to help me choose the right size for my first road bike. After buying and further adjusting that first road bike, I now have the knowledge about how other frames would or would not fit me.

void_presence If you ware looking at aluminum frames, the entry level offerings from the four major brands listed by Iride01 are comparably equipped and competitively priced, so just visit your local bike shops to test ride as many of them as you feasibly can.
Old 06-17-22, 05:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
This is good advice, Smelly! But LBS's vary in how well they "fit" you, and they're interested in selling you a bike based on their current inventory, so I'm not sure you always get a good fit from LBS. Many times you'll get what kinda fits from their inventory. Best to shop around if there are several local LBS.
I know! I did not get anywhere near that level of service when I bought my hybrid bike. So I totally lucked out when buying my first road bike. After doing everything I described in my last post, she just told me which size to order online (because the on sale color was only available online). To replicate my first experience, perhaps the first time buyer need to be accompanied by a patient experienced cyclist friend to multiple LBS.
Old 06-17-22, 05:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by void_presence
UPDATE: I settled on a Marin Gestalt 1 (2022); it's being built and should be on its way to me in a day or two...hopefully.
Congratulations. Happy riding.
Old 06-18-22, 07:13 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

That worked for you with national chain REI. I like REI. We don't have one in my city, but a few years ago I worked in DC and there was a great REI store just around the corner from where I usually stayed. Great place!

Here in my city, most of what you can find is Giant, Cannondale, and Trek. Which is fine if you're a new rider. There's a nice store close to me selling Scott, but they don't have any lower end Scott. Just $4,000 or so bikes.

It was hard enough for me, with 50 years of riding, to figure out what bike fits me in a compact frame (stepover height at middle of TT along with virtual TT length were my main criteria, since I know what works for me on TT length in a traditional frame), so yeah a new rider isn't going to know how to pick the right size frame. Or close to right size frame. Best advice for a new rider is to go to a very very large store with large selection and have them work on fit first THEN look at which bikes they have in inventory in that size. If they don't have one in that size and within budget, ask if it can be ordered and delivered in a week. If not, then keep shopping at other stores. At the next store they'd be armed with a bit more knowledge and the size recommended by first store can be verified (get 2nd fitting advice).

I know! I did not get anywhere near that level of service when I bought my hybrid bike. So I totally lucked out when buying my first road bike. After doing everything I described in my last post, she just told me which size to order online (because the on sale color was only available online). To replicate my first experience, perhaps the first time buyer need to be accompanied by a patient experienced cyclist friend to multiple LBS.
Old 06-18-22, 07:14 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Being built and to be delivered - did you goto a bike shop and have them help you with choosing correct size?

Old 06-18-22, 08:21 AM
void_presence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
Being built and to be delivered - did you goto a bike shop and have them help you with choosing correct size?
Sort of..
I went to the LBS first to try to buy from them first (supporting small businesses and all that), but they didn't have much in stock. I tried a size 58 they had and it was a tad too big, which confirmed my initial thought of a 56 to be the right size, especially based on previous bikes I've had--although those were mountain bikes.

I ultimately went with 56 based on Marin's sizing charts, on which I was on the borderline of 56 and 54--and I'd rather be in a larger frame than one 'too small'. An avid cycler friend of mine agreed on that.
Old 06-19-22, 06:51 PM
void_presence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
another update: bike went out Friday afternoon; UPS tracking says it 'may be delayed' and ETA is now June 27th :|
Old 06-21-22, 10:33 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does one measure frame size with a sloping top tube?

My bike comes in XS, S, M, L etc. So for those ordering online, do you just go by their sizing chart?
Old 06-21-22, 10:41 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by bblair

My bike comes in XS, S, M, L etc. So for those ordering online, do you just go by their sizing chart?
Yes. But size and geometry charts are much more useful if one has an existing basis for comparison, i.e., geometry numbers for a bike (of at least roughly the same type) that one is already used to riding.
Old 06-21-22, 10:44 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I ultimately went with 56 based on Marin's sizing charts, on which I was on the borderline of 56 and 54--and I'd rather be in a larger frame than one 'too small'. An avid cycler friend of mine agreed on that.
The conventional wisdom says the opposite. Would the shop let you exchange for a 54 if the 56 turns out to be slightly too big?
Old 06-21-22, 12:30 PM
void_presence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sizing

The conventional wisdom says the opposite. Would the shop let you exchange for a 54 if the 56 turns out to be slightly too big?
I've read/seen mixed views on that actually, but in either case,I'm not too concerned: comparing bike geometry on 99spokes shows that it's very similar in size to my current mtn bike; namely it's (the road bike) stand-over height is just 3 mm higher.
Old 06-21-22, 12:33 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

The two measurements most important to me are 1. virtual TT length: the equivalent of TT length on a conventional road frame, not the length of the sloping TT. And, 2. standover height at center of TT. I ride a 5cm" TT on a traditional frame, 56cm seat tube, and prefer a 31" stepover. It's hard to find that stepover in a traditional frame with a 56cm TT & seat tube, so I went with a sloping frame. I don't pay much attention to the XS, S, M, L etc. I find out the virtual TT and stepover at mid-point of TT.

Originally Posted by bblair

Old 06-21-22, 12:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I've read/seen mixed views on that actually, but in either case,I'm not too concerned: comparing bike geometry on 99spokes shows that it's very similar in size to my current mtn bike; namely it's (the road bike) stand-over height is just 3 mm higher.
Mountain bikes and road bikes have very different geometries. And stand over height is only a single measurement, mostly to gauge risk to family jewels during urgent dismounts. Reach, stack, and seat tube angle (or, in the alternative, effective top tube length) let you gauge whether you can reach and comfortably use the handlebars. I am not saying that a size 56 would not fit you; just that measuring stand over height alone gives no indication whether it does or not.
Old 06-21-22, 12:52 PM
void_presence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand that; but I know much of the fit can be adjusted after the fact (handle-bar/shifter position/orientation, stem-length, etc),

The main stat I'm concerned with as far as frame size is the ability to stand over the top tube without issue.

While the seat tube is 10 cm longer on the road bike than my mtn bike, my current mtb bike seat is raised pretty high (way more than 10 cm) so I know I'll be able to adjust the seat accordingly and then adjust handlebar reach if needed.
Old 06-21-22, 06:45 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

The seat tube lengths on sloping geometries didn't help me much. It was virtual TT length that helped me. On a sloping TT frame the seat tube lengths are whacked: a 56cm ST on a sloping geometry would be way too big for me. I searched for a 56cm TT virtual length. Then I made sure standover was appropriate. In a sloping tube I was able to find a 56cm TT length AND a 31" standover height at mid-point of TT. The bike fits me perfect. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and on a traditional road frame I ride a 56cm ST and 56cm TT.

I understand that; but I know much of the fit can be adjusted after the fact (handle-bar/shifter position/orientation, stem-length, etc),

The main stat I'm concerned with as far as frame size is the ability to stand over the top tube without issue.

While the seat tube is 10 cm longer on the road bike than my mtn bike, my current mtb bike seat is raised pretty high (way more than 10 cm) so I know I'll be able to adjust the seat accordingly and then adjust handlebar reach if needed.
Old 06-22-22, 07:36 AM
void_presence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Comparing my two bikes (well, my current bike and my incoming one) on 99Spokes seems to indicate it'll fit just fine. Especially when sometimes I feel my current bike feels a bit small sometimes.
Old 06-22-22, 11:15 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Sort of..
I went to the LBS first to try to buy from them first (supporting small businesses and all that), but they didn't have much in stock. I tried a size 58 they had and it was a tad too big, which confirmed my initial thought of a 56 to be the right size, especially based on previous bikes I've had--although those were mountain bikes.

I am a HUGE Orbea fan. I currently have 2 of their road bikes. A 2017 Avant and a 2022 Orca. they have some sizes a little bit different than others. Instead of a 56 cm, they have a 55 (My size at 6' tall) I would say to check them out if the Marin does not work out. They are still selling the Avant as more of an entry level road bike in aluminum. Or they have their Gravel bike the Terra, which you can get in aluminum now or carbon. I have ridden quite a few different brands of Carbon bikes and Orbea has just been the perfect fit for me.
Old 06-23-22, 06:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Comparing the fit of different bikes
Stack and Reach measurements are useful. It worked great when I got my now 8 year old road bike.
Some old posts:

Comparing bikes or looking for an improvement in the fit:
https://www.bikeforums.net/18957455-post17.html

Measuring stack and reach for an existing bike:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19803742-post21.html