Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what will be the "newest" thing in gearing.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what will be the "newest" thing in gearing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 06:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
In the future I see an automatic (maybe programmable also) internal geared rear hub...
You mean like the Enviolo Automatiq?
Old 07-12-22, 06:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

My guess is that the newest trend in gearing will cater to mortals by offering 46-30 11-42 gearing. Who among us would find that inadequate and why? Very few racers and sport riders.
I wouldn't consider that adequate for a second, I'm not a racer or a sport rider, but I love the really high gears I use with my 53t chain ring. Some of us like pushing a big gear. I know "conventional wisdom" says we're extinct, but I see a fair amount of people doing that in the wild.

If anything, I expect that it may get easier to get different combinations unless 1x starts to dominate.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 06:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I suspect at some point that real world gearing will creep into the drop bar segment. Let me 'splain.

I am of the belief that the high end gearing on bikes is mostly overkill ,and that the low end isn't low enough. You'll find 50-36 up front and 11-28 to maybe 11-32 in the back on most road bikes. Few riders need that 50 front ring. Most bicyclists could do quite well with 46-11 on the high end. That nets you 30 MPH at a 90 RPM cadence and 36 MPH spinning up to a 110 cadence. What riders would that not serve well? Very few.

On the low end, 36 front-28 back is 34 gear inches and 36-32 is 29 gear inches. Mere mortal riders who ride steep conditions, long climbs, loaded climbs or rough climbs will find themselves wanting with that kind of gearing. Getting that down to 20 gear inches would suit most riders much better. A readily available GRX 46-30 crankset with the readily available 11-42 cassette gets you into the 18 gear inch range. Problem solved right? NOPE. You'll not find drop bar shifter/brake levers that will run that.

My guess is that the newest trend in gearing will cater to mortals by offering 46-30 11-42 gearing. Who among us would find that inadequate and why? Very few racers and sport riders.
I would really, really dislike that kind of gearing - to me, it suggests super steep climbs that need to be crawled up and downhills where white-knuckle braking is more suitable than pedaling. I don't need/want anything near that type of low and I would like a little more at the top; the huge gaps between cogs would drive me nuts.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-12-22, 07:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I would really, really dislike that kind of gearing - to me, it suggests super steep climbs that need to be crawled up and downhills where white-knuckle braking is more suitable than pedaling. I don't need/want anything near that type of low and I would like a little more at the top; the huge gaps between cogs would drive me nuts.

I'm going to go out on a limb here if we're going to make predictions:

If more and more of the purchasing is going to be done online, I would suggest that the notion of a particular bike "model" with a particular set of components might become passé. If the distribution becomes truly just in time, what's to stop the manufacturer from allowing you to choose the various components you want on your chosen frame? In other words, you'd select your handlebars, wheels, groupset, whatever, and then the company assembles it to order then ships it. I won't be shocked to see a complete overhaul of the supply chain coming out of the current arrangement's near-total collapse of the past couple years.

If this is the case, you'll be selecting the gear combination you want on a per-bike basis.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 07:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
If you're lurching between surfaces on a too-many-gear bike then you've got a lot of shifting to do. Like if you're dealing with a steep valley, you may be in a very high gear on approaching the bottom and then want to shift to a really easy gear on the incline, but that may involve 10 shifts on a 12 speed and only 4 shifts on a 6 speed. It's one of the only things I liked about having a 2/3x setup on my mountain bike; that you can get a fairly big jump from just a single front cog change.

Of course, some modern levers allowing you to shift down by 2 or 3 gears at a time sort of makes it redundant.

I'd still choose range over increments (11-36 8 speed is more useful than 11-28 12 speed), but I'm not a competitive rider.
What is a "too many gear bike"? Shifting gears on a bicycle is a pretty mundane task and doesn't involve a lot of thinking. My main road bike has Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed. It will shift several cogs up or down with one motion. My other, older bike has Ultegra 10 speed with a triple. It requires one click per cog going to higher gears but it will go as fast as you can click it.

Why not choose range AND increments? Most of my riding has been with others, mostly fast group rides. I did around 2000 group rides from 2001 until the pandemic.
When riding with others, especially when you are not the most gifted rider, it is essential to have a gear to match the speed of the group.
Old 07-12-22, 07:24 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What is a "too many gear bike"? Shifting gears on a bicycle is a pretty mundane task and doesn't involve a lot of thinking. My main road bike has Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed. It will shift several cogs up or down with one motion. My other, older bike has Ultegra 10 speed with a triple. It requires one click per cog going to higher gears but it will go as fast as you can click it.

Why not choose range AND increments? Most of my riding has been with others, mostly fast group rides. I did around 2000 group rides from 2001 until the pandemic.
When riding with others, especially when you are not the most gifted rider, it is essential to have a gear to match the speed of the group.
I'm largely stretching to find a reason why more gears can be bad; I agree you just need to shift more.

I've only had the shifting problem recently on a new 11 speed bike, where there's a fast downhill that changes quickly into a steep uphill and I found myself going from top to bottom gears pretty quickly which was done in 3 triple-shifts but it's a pretty niche case and whilst it took longer than I'd like, I wouldn't consider changing to a 6 speed bike to avoid it.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 07-12-22, 07:31 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
The vast majority of people I ride with would find that gearing inadequate on a road bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-12-22, 07:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

If more and more of the purchasing is going to be done online, I would suggest that the notion of a particular bike "model" with a particular set of components might become passé. If the distribution becomes truly just in time, what's to stop the manufacturer from allowing you to choose the various components you want on your chosen frame? In other words, you'd select your handlebars, wheels, groupset, whatever, and then the company assembles it to order then ships it. I won't be shocked to see a complete overhaul of the supply chain coming out of the current arrangement's near-total collapse of the past couple years.

If this is the case, you'll be selecting the gear combination you want on a per-bike basis.
I could see something like this happening, and it would be really cool for enthusiasts but it could/would be a purchasing obstacle/analysis paralysis for a lot of people. I think that they'd have to have easy peasy default configurations - color and size being the only real options - and then possibly a separate page where you could opt-in to custom configurations. They do something like this with groupsets on the sites of some of the online European dealers (pbk, Merlin), but they could still make it a little more n00b-friendly for people intending to buy ready-to-ride bikes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-12-22, 07:43 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The vast majority of people I ride with would find that gearing inadequate on a road bike.
Same for me...regardless of where in the world I've bene riding. Sure 52-36 chainsets in the Alps/Pyrenees is nuts, but plenty of 50-34.
Old 07-12-22, 07:48 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

The supply chains would need to be significantly improved for this to happen. Regardless, it seems possible that we could see a trend toward SOME choices, but not a fully customizable bike.
Old 07-12-22, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Badger6
The supply chains would need to be significantly improved for this to happen. Regardless, it seems possible that we could see a trend toward SOME choices, but not a fully customizable bike.
I'm not sure it would take that much improvement in the supply chains and there would be less likelihood of overproducing frame/component combinations. Thus it might actually make the supply chain more efficient.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-12-22 at 08:04 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 08:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I could see something like this happening, and it would be really cool for enthusiasts but it could/would be a purchasing obstacle/analysis paralysis for a lot of people. I think that they'd have to have easy peasy default configurations - color and size being the only real options - and then possibly a separate page where you could opt-in to custom configurations. They do something like this with groupsets on the sites of some of the online European dealers (pbk, Merlin), but they could still make it a little more n00b-friendly for people intending to buy ready-to-ride bikes.

I think this is one of those things that might look daunting at first, then people become accustomed to the choice very quickly.
I'm thinking of what Zenni has done for eyewear--I would've told you it was crazy to think that consumers could handle such a task not that many years ago.

But yes, I expect there'd be a default package of some sort, at least at first.
Old 07-12-22, 08:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
You seem to be more interested in grinding an axe.
I would be thrilled to be 84 and still be able to ride and k'vetch (and coherently, I might add).

Zei gezunt, rydabent !
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-12-22, 10:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Since you're of the opinion that past gearing advances were simply the result of chasing "fashion," I can't imagine that you actually care what's next. You seem to be more interested in grinding an axe. How tiresome.
And you are right about me not following fashion. I do and use what is logical and has common sense. BTW my bike a LWB bet is 14 years old, and my trike is 11 years old. They work just fine.

However if some well heeled generous person would like to buy me a folding Azub TiFly 26, I would be eternally grateful!!!!
Old 07-12-22, 11:04 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
The newest trend with be a return to single speed, geared for speed.

Old 07-12-22, 03:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
And you are right about me not following fashion. I do and use what is logical and has common sense. my bike a LWB bet is 14 years old, and my trike is 11 years old.
Hate to break it to you, but riding a decade-old recumbent is a fashion statement, too.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-12-22, 09:42 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
well, here’s the latest thing: an automatic shifting derailleur system that can also shift while you’re not pedaling.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-xt-di2-m8150/

1. The new drivetrains feature Free Shift and Auto Shift technologies, where the bike can change gear while coasting and automatically select gears for you
Old 07-13-22, 04:17 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are 27 too many for my touring bike, which I actually use for loaded touring? I’ve been dying to know.
Well, I rode thousands of miles of loaded touring on an '83 Trek 720, which only had 18. And before they invented 6 speed freewheels and triple cranksets, people toured on 10 speed bicycles.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-13-22, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Well, I rode thousands of miles of loaded touring on an '83 Trek 720, which only had 18. And before they invented 6 speed freewheels and triple cranksets, people toured on 10 speed bicycles.
Non-responsive.
Old 07-13-22, 07:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Seems to me that I want a ratio for every situation .... but obviously "too many gears" can be an issue, because as a rider I have to learn each ratio .... (by the way, the common choices seem to be 50-34, 52-36, and 53-39, not 50-36) but with just 22 possible ratios it is hard to know whether the fourth cog on the small ring is a little higher or lower than the second cog on the big ring, etc .... so if I hit a headwind on a slight incline, how many ratios do I have to try, to get the right one? or if I am approaching a hill on the big ring, when exactly should I downshift and in what pattern (1 down up front, 3 up in the back for example) to get the same or similar ratio so that I don't have to markedly increase pedal pressure or revs when I shift?

When I used to ride more I learned pretty much the whole relevant range on a couple triples .... nowadays, sadly, I still get it wrong sometimes ... but "too many gears" is a function of rider ability, not the spec of the bike.

When I used to commute, which meant carrying a lot of weight (couple clothing changes, couple full meals, full water, weather gear, spares, couple pair of shoes, etc) I rode a triple mostly and never had "too many" gears. Hit a headwind on a Thursday when you have been riding hard every day since Monday and working and exercising between rides, and your legs and lungs will absolutely appreciate finding that "right" ratio where you don't have to push too hard or too fast.

Can you tour or commute on a single-speed? Shoot, you can do it walking, but that isn't really on point, is it?

As for lower gears in general .... can the phrase" personal preference" be any more relevant? The idea of "everyone has more top end than they need" is purely nonsensical ... as is the idea that everyone needs lower low gears, fewer gears, whatever .... Some people like to mash, some like to spin, some like to do both at different times. I don't often hit 90 rpm in 50x11, but I still like to push 50-11 whenever I want to .... whenever my legs and lungs tell me 50x12 is not as efficient for going faster. Nobody's business but my own.

I have an old Cannondale with 7 cogs and a 48-38-28 triple and I find just cruising, unladen, I use just the top couple cogs in the big ring ... So I should remove all the rest? On another hand, coming home with a heavy load of groceries --couple gallons of milk and yogurt, 20 pounds of rice--I use All the gears. I don't enjoy riding unladen as much because I simply don't have usable ratios to adjust for varying conditions ... but I love the bike and don't plan to sell or scrap it. Again ... personal preference ... (Why do they hate our Freedom? )

As for on-demand builds .... the breakdown in the chain is manufacturing. I assume a company like Shimano plans its production a year in advance, and the various major manufacturers choose the distribution of groupsets---based on the last couple years' sales---equally far in advance, when they order.

Shimano (or whoever) gains efficiency by doing long production runs---get the materials and tooling for a given product all set up and make a lot of them. To manufacture to order would be vastly more expensive ... sure, less unsold merch, maybe ,... but since most production is geared to pre-order, they don't have to worry about that as much ..... the manufacturers who can't sell bikes with unpopular groupsets carry that weight.

And a major bike manufacturer, say Giant ... they Could buy on speculation a specific number of groupsets and hope that their actual customer orders met their projections, but if for some reason they guessed wrong, they would be out of luck, because they would have bought groupsets they couldn't sell and would still need to buy more groupsets to sell the frames they had built. Not a good business situation.

"Build to order" is fine ... but "assemble to order" is easy while "manufacture to order" is expensive .... One possible "solution" would be for Shimano to raise its already ridiculous prices even higher, to cover for having to discount unwanted product, or to cover the increased cost of shorter, less efficient production runs.
Old 07-13-22, 08:19 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The solution, however it is accomplished and when, is true variable speed gearing.

I would imagine someday people will laugh at how the neanderthals would argue gearing in preset increments when all that is important is covering the low and top end.

Through all the technological advancements over the years we are still moving that silly chain around.

John
Old 07-13-22, 10:50 AM
tomato coupe

According to your "philosopher", that bike had more than double the number of gears you needed. Why did you have so many?
Old 07-13-22, 10:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
At 84 I have seen almost all of the latest is gearing we must have according to advertisements. It started with the trusty 10 speed, and then proceeded thru 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 speeds in the rear, and a triple thrown in at the BB for good measure. We were told you were old fashioned and out of date if you dont have the latest. So we ended up with a 24 or 36 speed bike. Right now to be in fashion you have to be riding the one X.

So does anyone dare to suggest where the MFG will go now to create the latest must have bike in the way of gearing?
I'm betting that no one has ever told that to anyone regarding a bicycle.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-13-22, 10:58 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
According to your "philosopher", that bike had more than double the number of gears you needed. Why did you have so many?
Well, that's what the bike came with. And I'm fairly certain I didn't actually use all 18 gears. Not to mention that loaded touring isn't exactly a "typical" circumstance that the average person will experience. Remove those 80 pounds of loaded panniers and packs that you're carrying, and you can probably ditch the granny gear. Remember that Grant was talking about the average rider - the "unracer". It's sort of implied that he's also not talking about other specialized pursuits like loaded touring.
Old 07-13-22, 11:54 AM
tomato coupe

Well, that's what the bike came with. And I'm fairly certain I didn't actually use all 18 gears. Not to mention that loaded touring isn't exactly a "typical" circumstance that the average person will experience. Remove those 80 pounds of loaded panniers and packs that you're carrying, and you can probably ditch the granny gear. Remember that Grant was talking about the average rider - the "unracer". It's sort of implied that he's also not talking about other specialized pursuits like loaded touring.
I suspect his definition of an "unracer" is: "Someone that needs only 8 gears."
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.