Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddle, should I give it a try?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks saddle, should I give it a try?

Old 07-17-22, 09:31 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Best way to break in a new Brooks saddle is to hose it soaking wet and go for a ride. Boom, broken in after one ride. Does this shorten the life of the saddle? Yes, it shortens it by the 1000 miles breaking in timeframe. It's a saddle, not a child. Ride it till it croaks and buy another one.
Likes For Yan:
Old 07-17-22, 10:19 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Having gone through 2 brooks saddles, I now have a SERFAS RX-922V. So far it is much more comfortable from the very first ride.
Old 07-18-22, 12:01 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I wouldn’t get a saddle

Unless it was from a reputable bike shop that would spend time asking about my riding style, flexibly and preferences as well as help me with a fit. I bought a new saddle recently this way and it made a huge difference.

saddles are so subjective and have so many factors affecting comfort and power transfer that I would never buy online.

my $0.02
Old 07-18-22, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Unless it was from a reputable bike shop that would spend time asking about my riding style, flexibly and preferences as well as help me with a fit. I bought a new saddle recently this way and it made a huge difference.

saddles are so subjective and have so many factors affecting comfort and power transfer that I would never buy online.

my $0.02
I on the other had, made my own saddle program by buying 6-7 saddles online used, trying them all out, kept the one I liked, sold the others (online and Craigslist), and ended up just about breaking even. I think my spreadsheet said I was slightly ahead if you didn't count the cost of the one I kept - slightly behind if you did (but definitely below the price of a new one of the saddle I kept, Selle San Marco Regal).
Old 07-18-22, 07:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Best way to break in a new Brooks saddle is to hose it soaking wet and go for a ride. Boom, broken in after one ride. Does this shorten the life of the saddle? Yes, it shortens it by the 1000 miles breaking in timeframe. It's a saddle, not a child. Ride it till it croaks and buy another one.
I guess that works if you want to really break it in. I found that the one and only brooks that I owned, a b17, was just okay when new and went downhill from there. so for me that break in procedure would eliminate any usefil life at all. I am probably the exception though.
I'd never buy another brooks based on my experience with that b17. I do wonder if I'd find the c models more acceptable, but really see no reason to try them when I like the WTB Volt models really well. Truth be told I am not very fussy about saddles and am actually okay with the saddles that came with the bikes I own. I have upgraded some to a volt, but would ride the originals coast to coast without much complaint if any. Even the cheapie that came on my bikes direct windsor touring was okay for the trans americe after breaking in my bottom to it a few hundred miles.

The well broken in brooks was pretty much my least favorite saddle. I guess the hammock style just doesn't work for everyone. My point is that the brooks is great for some, but you shouldn't assume it will be for you. Also, committing to a radically different style of saddle too close to a long trip may be a big mistake.
Old 07-18-22, 07:54 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have Brooks B-17 saddles on two of my bikes and they work for me. I would not change saddles before a major tour.
Old 07-18-22, 10:59 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
A Brooks saddle is not some mythical thing. It's just a saddle. If Your current saddle works fine for You then don't switch.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 07-18-22, 11:59 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I guess that works if you want to really break it in. I found that the one and only brooks that I owned, a b17, was just okay when new and went downhill from there. so for me that break in procedure would eliminate any usefil life at all. I am probably the exception though.
I'd never buy another brooks based on my experience with that b17. I do wonder if I'd find the c models more acceptable, but really see no reason to try them when I like the WTB Volt models really well. Truth be told I am not very fussy about saddles and am actually okay with the saddles that came with the bikes I own. I have upgraded some to a volt, but would ride the originals coast to coast without much complaint if any. Even the cheapie that came on my bikes direct windsor touring was okay for the trans americe after breaking in my bottom to it a few hundred miles.

The well broken in brooks was pretty much my least favorite saddle. I guess the hammock style just doesn't work for everyone. My point is that the brooks is great for some, but you shouldn't assume it will be for you. Also, committing to a radically different style of saddle too close to a long trip may be a big mistake.
The worst saddle I ever toured on as the Fizik Arione. This is a very popular saddle amongst road cyclists and people claim it is very comfortable. I have a pretty aggressive position on my touring bike so I figured I'd try it. It's simply not padded enough. It was like riding on a permanently new Brooks saddle. I ended up wearing double shorts that tour.

Personally I left Brooks a few years ago and went over to Selle Anatomica. They are softer than Brooks and have no break in period in my experience. However they do have a shorter life. They have a model where the leather is user replaceable so that's what I settled on.

Last edited by Yan; 07-18-22 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-18-22, 12:51 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Personally I left Brooks a few years ago and went over to Selle Anatomica. They are softer than Brooks and have no break-in period in my experience. However, they do have a shorter life. They have a model where the leather is user replaceable so that's what I settled on.
In fact, you can swap the leather top with Selle Anatomica's R2 vulcanized rubber top, too.

I like that Selle Anatomica's slots in their cast tailpiece are easier on my saddlebag straps than the sharp-edged sheet metal of most other tensioned leather saddles.
Old 07-19-22, 06:50 AM
djb

Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by HendersonD
Spending $120 on a Brooks saddle and not liking it is a concern
Have you seen bike seat prices? There are scads of good bike seats in the 75 to 200 buck range, so no different really.

But yup, buying any seat can be a crapshoot.
Having enough riding experience to know what shape etc works for you already can help though.
Old 07-19-22, 06:54 AM
djb

Originally Posted by HendersonD
I have a 13 day 680 mile bike tour starting the third week of September. I am using a Trek 520 touring bike that currently has a Selle Italia Sport Gel Flow saddle. I am thinking about purchasing a Brooks saddle to use on this tour. A few questions:
  1. If I go this route, which Brooks should I purchase? I know the B17 is the classic choice
  2. The B17 is a leather saddle so how would this work on a tour when rain is likely?
  3. Do you think the Brooks will be more comfortable than my current Selle Italia saddle?
As noted, using something new or newish seat putting in 13 days of riding 5, 6 hours a day is just asking for trouble, unless you can put the hours in and make sure it works.

Time honoured tradition of not using new "magically better" stuff before any self propelled trip, hiking boots or bike seat or whatever.
Old 07-19-22, 07:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
As noted, using something new or newish seat putting in 13 days of riding 5, 6 hours a day is just asking for trouble, unless you can put the hours in and make sure it works.

Time honoured tradition of not using new "magically better" stuff before any self propelled trip, hiking boots or bike seat or whatever.
I think this is a bigger deal when going to something that is way different like a leather saddle. I feel like I can personally choose any of a pretty large number of similar saddles and be fine. I have a history of knowing that I am not too fussy about saddles within a certain range of designs though. Even given that I'd be inclined to spend a little time on a given saddle before heading out on a long tour. Some (probably most) need to take greater care.

I think that riders with a more aggressive posture are likely to carry more weight on their legs and less on the saddle. If they are comfortable with that posture it will likely allow better saddle comfort. That may not be an answer for everyone though as some will prefer an upright posture.
Old 07-19-22, 08:43 AM
djb

Really all I wanted to emphasize is the downsides of anything that you really haven't spent a lot of time sitting on or using to see how it works, whether it's new padded bike shorts, or a seat or shoes.

It's just no fun maybe having issues on a planned vacation, supposed to be fun time, and dealing with a sore arse or other bits or feet or whatever, when your body is the motor for 680 miles
Old 07-21-22, 02:11 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Personally I left Brooks a few years ago and went over to Selle Anatomica. They are softer than Brooks and have no break in period in my experience.
+1 on the Selle A. I switched my Brooks Flyer from our touring tandem to my commuter and loved it there. I found the Anatomica suited me better on tour.
I lost possession of my now-well-broken-in men's Brooks Flyer when I lent it in 2020 to my stoker, who disliked her expensive Terry women's saddle. She almost instantly fell in love with the Flyer and refused to give it back. She continues to rave about it after many 1,000s of miles.
Really all I wanted to emphasize is the downsides of anything that you really haven't spent a lot of time sitting on or using to see how it works, whether it's new padded bike shorts, or a seat or shoes.
+1 on this, too. For both my Flyer and my Selle, I put them on my commuter bike first and rode them 8 miles a day for several months before shifting them to the touring tandem. By the time we took off on tour, I knew they worked.
Old 08-14-22, 06:56 AM
djb

So interwebs question asker, did you get one?
still doing your trip in Sept?
Old 08-14-22, 07:12 AM
HendersonD

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
So interwebs question asker, did you get one?
still doing your trip in Sept?
I ended up purchasing a Selle Anatomica H2 saddle which is similar to the Brooks. It will arrive tomorrow so once I take a few rides with it, I will report back. I am doing a trip in September
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/flowersteelcapital/
Old 08-14-22, 07:46 AM
djb

Hope it works out.
hey, I saw that you are going with MTB tire shorts and padded liners. If your regular padded bike shorts are more comfortable and especially cooler on really hot days, consider getting some cheap thin pull over shorts to put on when going into stores or restaurants.
I do this, because I find the MTB shorts over liners or thinner padded bike shorts to be a lot hotter than regular bike shorts only. My regular padded bike shorts are also very comfortable for me touring and biking day after day, so I prioritize that, but throwing on the thin over shorts is easy and fast.

I usually keep these over shorts under the bungee holding my tent on rack so I can grab them easily, also handy when sitting on rocks or whatever to not damage Lycra.

Last edited by djb; 08-14-22 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-14-22, 03:41 PM
ciquta

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing to consider is that B-17 comes in one size, so if you are at the upper/lower end of the size grid you might have to compromise on a b17
SQ Lab and Ergon have a different approach but you get to choose your size.
Old 08-15-22, 03:27 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by ciquta
One thing to consider is that B-17 comes in one size, so if you are at the upper/lower end of the size grid you might have to compromise on a b17
They have the B17 short and B17 narrow so you have three B17's each is also available with or without a cutout
Old 08-15-22, 05:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by ciquta
There are lots of other models of different size and shape. I prefer a Brooks Pro (or Conquest which is discontinued again) over a B17.
Old 08-15-22, 05:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It takes some special care to tour on a B17. If you do not have fenders and do not cover it in the rain when unattended, you're asking to trouble.

So, I would caution OP.

Nonetheless, I have cross the USA on a B17 Special with Ti rails. No butt pain at all.
Old 08-17-22, 04:45 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I bought one online for a good price and it went back. There was no way I was subjecting my old butt to that for even a day to break it in.

See my thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...arrived-2.html
Old 08-19-22, 10:23 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
B17 is the one to start with. Don't worry about rain, just ride it. Aply proofide once a year or so. They just get better until they wear out, it will be a long while, so don't worry about tit.
Old 09-05-22, 10:28 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but it's important to point out the B17 has no aft adjustablity; there is no space on its rails ahead of the midpoint. So if your normal set up requires the clamp to intersect a line ahead of the center of the saddle (ie., you need setback), you will need a seat post with extra setback like the Velo Orange. I learned this the hard/expensive way on my Surly disc trucker.

But it was worth it. I started with the saddle I used on my road bike that I thought would be good enough for touring, but found after four hours it became a torture device. The Brooks B17, OTOH, as made saddle comfort a non-issue for over 4k miles now, with many long, 8-12 hour days on tour.

Last edited by Brett A; 09-05-22 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 05:43 AM
HendersonD

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have now ridden about 300 miles on my Selle Anatomica H2 saddle and I do think it is an improvement over the saddle I took off
This week I start a 13 day, 640 tour using my Trek 520 with this new saddle. I will report back at the end of my trip

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.