Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need a softer ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

need a softer ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 06:18 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I've never used a suspension seatpost. I assume they are designed to cushion bigger bumps. Do they help with buzzy, rough surfaces, like very worn asphalt or "chip-seal" road coatings? That's where big, flexible tires make the most difference, on the vibration surfaces, not so much the big bumps.

~~~
Lowering air pressure
The drastic drop from about 50 psi to about 30 might feel quite strange at first. You might want to split the difference, maybe 40-45 psi, do a ride or two, then lower to the target 30 range.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 07-21-22, 12:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I've never used a suspension seatpost. I assume they are designed to cushion bigger bumps. Do they help with buzzy, rough surfaces, like very worn asphalt or "chip-seal" road coatings?
I only had the one experience but, I have a full suspension 20" folding bike and after some experimentation I discovered that an amazing thing happened when both ends of the bike were juuuuuust short of full lockout. Road vibration just went away. Tires could remain at their optimum pressure and no energy was lost in 'pogo' but the ride quality became amazing only in that narrow band of preload juuuuuuust short of lockout. I would treat a suspension seatpost the exact same way. FWIW.
Old 07-21-22, 12:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
No you don't, in fact on rough roads you gain efficiency.
Maybe. No one knows. How the hell can they with all that bouncing around. But it sells (Compass) tires ...