Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How much clearance for Carradice Camper?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 07:40 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I am considering a Carradice Camper Longflap for commuting everyday so I can get rid of my rear rack. How much clearance do I need between my saddle and my tire?

The Camper dimensions: 26cm high by 36cm wide by 22cm deep.

I plan to hang it from saddle bag loops or use a Bagman QR. Not sure if a Bagman will work since my saddle is all of the way forward. Is there a QR without external support rails like the Bagman also has?

I will carry a 13" by 9" laptop and a schoolbook and a notebook and a novel. I might transport a sandwich sometimes. The Nelson dimensions seems too small.

Last edited by kjaioqhbkqb; 08-07-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 04:31 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
The only problem with that is, weight. Any weight you put into the bag will drag it down a little bit more. Bumps, they let you get a little closer to the bag. You could get a Carradice mini brace for the bag. ( $$$$$) A rack will be cheaper and you can put on all the taillights you want. A Carradice mini brace you can't.
Old 08-10-22, 08:00 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
The only problem with that is, weight. Any weight you put into the bag will drag it down a little bit more. Bumps, they let you get a little closer to the bag. You could get a Carradice mini brace for the bag. ( $$$$$) A rack will be cheaper and you can put on all the taillights you want. A Carradice mini brace you can't.
I currently run a rear rack. It's functional but ugly, so I thought the Carradice might be a better-looking solution.

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe I could sew in internal supports or something.
Old 08-11-22, 04:19 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
What type of internal supports are you thinking? I once tried, "Coroplast". It didn't work. Maybe a lightweight support made from Alum. and then hook into the seat, somehow. Just thinking out loud.
Old 08-12-22, 04:49 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
What type of internal supports are you thinking? I once tried, "Coroplast". It didn't work. Maybe a lightweight support made from Alum. and then hook into the seat, somehow. Just thinking out loud.
Yeah, exactly. I heard of Coroplast too, but assumed it was not structural/strong enough. Maybe like sewing a Bagman QR right onto the bag or something so that it is covered (like so the Bagman's rails/tubing are covered) with canvas except for the where the QR attachment comes out to attach to the seat.

I sill like the idea of it being supported out to the sides too, beyond where the Bagman supports.