Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Mercier Reynolds 531 (unsure about year)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 05:56 AM
goncalompls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hi there,
Would like some help please identifying this Mercier bike and how much it’s worth?

Thank you!

Old 07-16-22, 09:40 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
We are talking early 70s . It says 3 tubes Reynolds and stamped dropouts so it’s a mid range bike but they make good riders and are strong. Paint, chrome, and decals appear in good shape. Wheels are later replacements. Mismatched tires and lack of dust caps on pedals and crank are a sign of lack of seriousness regarding maintenance. Original derailleurs, shifters, brakes, and crankset which all work very well when maintained properly. Check front derailleur for crack in plastic ; if intact keep using it as they work fine. Value is supply demand and market. Most people on this forum are in US so we can’t help on value in London. How much are they asking?
Old 07-17-22, 07:48 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
The forks look to me a bend tad forward,
Old 07-17-22, 09:34 AM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
We are talking early 70s . It says 3 tubes Reynolds and stamped dropouts so it’s a mid range bike but they make good riders and are strong. Paint, chrome, and decals appear in good shape. Wheels are later replacements. Mismatched tires and lack of dust caps on pedals and crank are a sign of lack of seriousness regarding maintenance. Original derailleurs, shifters, brakes, and crankset which all work very well when maintained properly. Check front derailleur for crack in plastic ; if intact keep using it as they work fine. Value is supply demand and market. Most people on this forum are in US so we can’t help on value in London. How much are they asking?

This bike was actually in Paris and they had put down 190€ for it and have no idea for price ranges on Mercier in France
Old 07-17-22, 06:39 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by goncalompls
This bike was actually in Paris and they had put down 190€ for it and have no idea for price ranges on Mercier in France
The Euro and the dollar are quite close right now so Id say 200+/- seems slightly high for a 70's with stamped dropouts. They'd probably take 150.
Old 07-17-22, 08:29 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by goncalompls
It’s a little high but not outrageous.Ask if they have original wheels, missing dust caps, original leather saddle, and other tire so you have a matching set on the bike. If not ask if they are willing to negotiate as you’ll need to spend time/money to track down. I would feel better paying below 150 based on reasons mentioned but that is a different market so stand ready to pay or walk away.
Likes For Slowride79:
Old 07-18-22, 06:07 AM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks a lot all for the help.
Turns out the bike was sold in the meantime so I guess I will keep the search for a Mercier
Old 07-31-22, 04:25 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Am I on the classic and vintage forum**********
frame has Simplex dropouts, same as whats on Peugeot PX-10 which people seem to drool over. Stronglight cranks... Very nice. Lyotard pedals, classic. And speaking of classic, Mercier pink. Raymond Poulidors favorite color. I'd jump on that in an instant for $200.