Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Odd But Pleasing Proportions...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-21-22, 07:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

As I mentioned recently, after 18 months working for myself at home I was extremely fortunate to land a new full-time job in an office 6 miles from home.

After starting Wednesday last week, Monday this week I commenced bike commuting. I took my 2007 Dahon Boardwalk 20" folding bike, as I had bought it after my last job and commute ended, and I was eager to ride it to work.

Tuesday and Wednesday I rode my main commuter, my 2015 Charge Plug. But today, Thursday, I again rode the folder.

Perhaps I was worried about the logistics of changing clothes and parking the bike in my office, or just overwhelmed by all the new people and details associated with new job, but I literally hadn't given the bike a second look riding.

But this morning, after removing the bike and locking the shed, I turned back towards the bike with the backpack in place on the rack, and it was the first good look I got of the bike with the back pack in place. On the 700c Plug, and my 26-inch MTB-based commuter the bag comes up well above the seat. However, with only 20" wheels, the bag comes up to just above seat level.

I caught a glimpse of myself on the bike as I rode past some store-front windows, and the circus-bear-on-a-bike vibe is still very strong.

But without me perched on the saddle, I find the proportions of the bag on the bike odd, but pleasing.

Last edited by BobbyG; 07-23-22 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-22-22, 01:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I didn't know there were racks for 20" bikes and my kids could use a few. Does that come from Dehon? With the deck height it's going to have trouble with standard panniers but with a top case it should be great.

Elsewhere here you might have seen that Origami is about to put the Swift back in production after Xootr dropped it. I am waiting to see the spec but would really like one to leave in the RV
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-22-22, 04:24 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I didn't know there were racks for 20" bikes and my kids could use a few. Does that come from Dehon? With the deck height it's going to have trouble with standard panniers but with a top case it should be great.

Elsewhere here you might have seen that Origami is about to put the Swift back in production after Xootr dropped it. I am waiting to see the spec but would really like one to leave in the RV
I still keep my "lil" Tern Verge at the office when I want to go out for close distances (under 3 miles) etc and a full bike is just too much for city riding and finding secure places to lock up. I use a Tern Cargo rack, which has a height adjustment for the various Tern bikes from 20-27.5" wheels.
Old 07-23-22, 06:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I didn't know there were racks for 20" bikes
Many folders come with them. For bikes where the rear wheel tucks under the frame, in the Brompton style, the rack will often have wheels on top, that end up under the bike so it can be pushed/rolled when folded.

I've never been a pannier user, but I've seen them on folding bikes. I imagine heel strike would be an issue with such a short wheelbase.

And no matter what the type of folding bike, it seems a large back on a front rack is the go-to for many who commute.

ThIs is just how I do it on my other larger bikes. (except my rackless roadbike).
Old 07-23-22, 02:23 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

I love it. Great setup. It looks like a bulldog.

If you want something instead f the bungee cord, you might like Rok Straps. I use them for everything, the bicycles and motorcycles. They make different sizes and colors, some with reflective material. Of course in this case the bungee I am sure works perfectly fine.
https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-12...ps%2C72&sr=8-5