Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Brake Boss(?) on Track Frame & Paint Questions.

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 06:47 AM
saulgoldie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

One of my (too many) bikes is a decent quality no-name track bike. Now, when I ride a fixie on the road, I like a front and rear brake. (Laugh if you want; doesn't bother me.) Oh, I should probly say that this is an olde steel frame. I had the fork drilled out, and I installed a front brake. But the rear cross piece--boss?--where the rear brake would mount is too thin to drill. So I need to replace it, use some other sort of adaptation, or just go with the one brake.

Before I have a proper frame shop install a thicker cross piece or boss--I am not sure the correct terminology--does anyone know of something I could just bolt on so I could install the rear brake? Other than that, if I do decide to go the frame shop route, would you recommend a typical frame piece like on a road bike? Or is there some other way, like maybe next to the bottom bracket? Or some other configuration? I have a sketch of an idea for a custome-machined block that could mount on the seat tube near the bottom bracket. Maybe that last one is too involved...

And who is doing these kinds of repairs? And would I need to have a whole new frame paint job? Or could I just do some localized painting at the location of the brazing?

And speaking of paint...who is doing good paint these days, and what should I expect to spend? Cost is a factor, for sure. And since I do not need this bike in my rotation...

I know, several questions. I appreciate any help with any of them. thanks!

Saul
Old 08-08-22, 07:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by saulgoldie
One of my (too many) bikes is a decent quality no-name track bike. Now, when I ride a fixie on the road, I like a front and rear brake. (Laugh if you want; doesn't bother me.) Oh, I should probly say that this is an olde steel frame. I had the fork drilled out, and I installed a front brake. But the rear cross piece--boss?--where the rear brake would mount is too thin to drill. So I need to replace it, use some other sort of adaptation, or just go with the one brake.

Before I have a proper frame shop install a thicker cross piece or boss--I am not sure the correct terminology-- Brake bridge does anyone know of something I could just bolt on so I could install the rear brake? There is a Japanese company that has made bolt on mounts for caliper brakes, forget the name, for track conversions. Other than that, if I do decide to go the frame shop route, would you recommend a typical frame piece like on a road bike? Yes Or is there some other way, like maybe next to the bottom bracket? Or some other configuration? I have a sketch of an idea for a custome-machined block that could mount on the seat tube near the bottom bracket. Maybe that last one is too involved...

And who is doing these kinds of repairs? Anyone who knows how. Typically someone with frame making experience And would I need to have a whole new frame paint job? Or could I just do some localized painting at the location of the brazing? Either, your choice

And speaking of paint...who is doing good paint The person who does the bridge install should know who they use for paint these days, and what should I expect to spend? For a frame and fork expect from $150 for cheap powder coating to $700+ for a high quality wet spray, decal application or added colors increase cost Cost is a factor, for sure. And since I do not need this bike in my rotation...

I know, several questions. I appreciate any help with any of them. thanks!

Saul
88 Andy
Old 08-08-22, 03:33 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Easy enough to add a bridge tube. You could also perfectly well make a sort of clamp that would bolt on-- it's all in compression anyway. But it would probably look a bit ugly. As for painting well it depends how fussy you are about the finish!