Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Long term parking - Madison, WI area?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 08:47 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts

I'm finally starting to think again about doing a bikepacking tour in Wisconsin. I had hoped to do one in 2020, but the pandemic changed everything. One of my friends has put together a series of RUSA permanents that are mostly on bike trails that go from one side of the state to the other with a loop around the Madison area. I'm intrigued by the idea of riding some or all of them over a series of days staying in motels overnight.

I'm looking for suggestions on where I could park my car for 6-8 days. I thought about the Dane county airport - economy parking appears to be $6/day but I wasn't sure about the logistics of riding a bike out of the airport. Tourist in MSN do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-22, 11:28 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
We have called Warm Shower hosts that had extra space or street parking in front of their house (It would be easier if you are a Warm Showers host and not just a user), churches/Synagogue/other especially if their busy attendance day is not part of your timing, and on street parking if not restricted. In small towns, we have called the police for recommendations but I do not think that would work well in Madison but it might.

While I have not been to the Dane County airport, I would not be surprised if it was an easy ride. Madison is a great biking city.
Likes For debade:
Old 06-23-22, 12:36 PM
GadgetGirlIL

debade Apparently living in the Chicago metropolitan area my entire life has convinced me that ALL airports are in messy traffic areas (O'Hare especially). But I just looked closely at the Dane County airport in RWGPS and I can see easy access to bike lanes to make my way to my route. It has been a while since I've ridden around Madison - I forgot how bike friendly it is!
Old 06-23-22, 03:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
debade Apparently living in the Chicago metropolitan area my entire life has convinced me that ALL airports are in messy traffic areas (O'Hare especially). But I just looked closely at the Dane County airport in RWGPS and I can see easy access to bike lanes to make my way to my route. It has been a while since I've ridden around Madison - I forgot how bike friendly it is!
I parked there for about 3 weeks last year. Easy to get to and from on a bicycle and relatively inexpensive. Don’t try to come in from the north side to avoid the (perceived) traffic on the east side however. That’s a much harder route
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-23-22, 03:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
For 6 to 8 days, I think you need to park at my condo. I will send you a private message. My condo is a lot cheaper ($zero) than the airport.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-23-22, 03:50 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have ridden into or out of a number of major airports and never found it that bad, but typically there are other options than riding to get away from airports if you need them. These include airport shuttles, light rail, and so on. Sounds like you got a better offer, but for future reference airports typically work out okay for the purpose.

I also find airports good places to use as endpoints to rent cars one way to and from. I have never been denied a one way rental or hit with a big one way fee when prebooking a car airport to airport. Walking up to the counter has not yielded the same result. Even if I am in the terminal I book online before I walk up to the terminal. Too many times walking up to a counter resultis in a "sorry, we have no cars that we can let go out one way"

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-23-22 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-23-22, 04:42 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice! I need to get through the summer semester before I can actually escape to Wisconsin but now I can start making some plans.
Old 06-24-22, 05:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice! I need to get through the summer semester before I can actually escape to Wisconsin but now I can start making some plans.
Folks from the forums can be helpful. I have had quite a few offer help including advice, logistic support, and hospitality and I have done the same for others.
Likes For staehpj1: