Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 08-04-22, 07:19 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
At my first office job, a skiptrace collections gig, standard practice was to omit most vowels, when noting a customer's account, to save database space. Strangely, that practice only held over with collections and not general customer service. I had friends in other departments and they'd sometimes have me decipher collections notes or just kvetch about them after the fact.
Once worked for a company with 7 digit dates to save space. Today would be 2220804 for example. Was a real pain to add 18 million to everything before converting dates
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-04-22, 07:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
You are an inspiration, Indy. One of these days, I'll do a hotel tour here. They're so cheap, and camping isn't a thing here.
In my house, "camping" means staying in a Holiday Inn Express.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-04-22, 07:21 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Had an interesting treatment yesterday for my glute and hamstring pain that’s been recurring for a while. Sports med doc injected my muscles with small doses of lidocaine in multiple places. It’s sore as hell today, we’ll see if it works.
Old 08-04-22, 07:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I was never a fan of mustard growing up, but I now blame that on a combination of immature taste buds and the crap mustard that got served by my family as a kid. A good mustard is a wonderful thing on sandwiches, pretzels, etc, and I love that spicy, sinus-clearing stuff on Asian foods like egg rolls and dumplings.
Same. We grew up on French's yellow mustard, so I was generally turned off to mustard as a kid. One good thing that came out of my parent's divorce is that my dad took us out to nicer places pretty frequently, so I got exposed to the "good stuff."

I always have at least regular Dijon in my house. Right now I think have some dark, coarse as well. One easy dish I like to prepare when it's not too hot for the oven is deviled chicken breasts. Mince some shallots and mix them with regular Dijon and some cayenne. Coat the breasts and bake. Low-cal and low fat. Sometimes I will add something like fresh parsley if I have it around. Dijon and tarragon is also a good topping.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-04-22, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Holy crap-ola! I just learned through a BF add that the new MTB shoes I just paid REI $110 for are now on sale for $66.
Old 08-04-22, 07:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Holy crap-ola! I just learned through a BF add that the new MTB shoes I just paid REI $110 for are now on sale for $66.
Time for a price adjustment!
Old 08-04-22, 07:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

I like a good mustard. Often use it as a base for a rub when smoking ribs and brisket. I use mayonnaise for the same purpose, among other things.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-04-22, 07:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Define "food."
Ever see those lists on FB where they list like 40 things and it says "give yourself 1 point for each thing you wouldn't eat"? I usually get 2 points.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-04-22, 08:01 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Old 08-04-22, 08:13 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by big john
Ever see those lists on FB where they list like 40 things and it says "give yourself 1 point for each thing you wouldn't eat"? I usually get 2 points.
Lol! I would probably get 80 points. I would never be a good participant on Fear Factor.
Old 08-04-22, 08:19 AM
big john

Lol! I would probably get 80 points. I would never be a good participant on Fear Factor.
I wouldn't eat the stuff they do on that show (if it's the one I'm thinking of). No bugs, nothing that's still squirming.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-04-22, 08:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I usually get 3-5 depending on the list. Mom and Dad didn't raise me squeamish.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-04-22, 08:32 AM
WhyFi

With all this talk about food, it seems like there's no better time to mention that I haven't had any... going on four days now.

After dabbling in intermittent fasting and reading about extended fasting, I decided to give it a whirl, so it's been a total of 0 calories taken in over the last oh, 84 hours or so. I've been taking supplements to keep my electrolytes in check, but other than that, the daily intake has been a cup of coffee, a cup of tea, an occasional zero calorie electrolyte drink and water. Oh, and I've also been peeing on sticks, to monitor my ketone levels.

There have been some ups and downs. My first morning, I think that I went too easy on the bike ride and didn't burn through available stores, so it was a mostly normal day with no dip in to ketosis.

I decided to ramp it up the next morning with a harder ~one hour ride and, by the afternoon, I was feeling somewhat fatigued but my ketone levels finally elevated.

Day three, yesterday, was the worst - mild fatigue, like I'd ridden a century in the morning, food and planning future meals occupied a lot of my thoughts, and I had a slight mental fogginess. Taking my family to a favorite pizza place/Italian market for lunch was a big time test of my will. Breaking my fast was an internal debate - I wasn't exactly having fun but, at the same time, I expected those lows and didn't want to quit before bouncing back to feeling somewhat normal, which was expected based upon what I'd read.

Today, I woke up feeling pretty damn normal - spirits were good, mental clarity was good and, while not feeling like a world-beater, I felt physically good. Went for a spirited ride, though I couldn't quite push as long or as hard as normal. The hunger pangs, that typically occur around meal times, were mild and brief this morning. Food has not been a siren song.

I think that I'll keep the fast at least through the day, but I may go in to the weekend, if it continues to be as easy as it has been so far today.

Oh, I've also been monitoring my weight and body composition. No loss in lean mass but fat mass and total mass is down. As of this morning, I'm the weight of an average American woman (I came in a hair under 170lbs).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-04-22, 08:36 AM
WhyFi

I wouldn't eat the stuff they do on that show (if it's the one I'm thinking of). No bugs, nothing that's still squirming.
I don't even like squishy, rubbery textures, so the fatty stuff and cartilage that's commonplace in some cultures is a turnoff for me. No eyeballs, or anything like that, and internal organs still give me pause.
Old 08-04-22, 08:39 AM
Mojo31
-------

With all this talk about food, it seems like there's no better time to mention that I haven't had any... going on four days now.

After dabbling in intermittent fasting and reading about extended fasting, I decided to give it a whirl, so it's been a total of 0 calories taken in over the last oh, 84 hours or so. I've been taking supplements to keep my electrolytes in check, but other than that, the daily intake has been a cup of coffee, a cup of tea, an occasional zero calorie electrolyte drink and water. Oh, and I've also been peeing on sticks, to monitor my ketone levels.

There have been some ups and downs. My first morning, I think that I went too easy on the bike ride and didn't burn through available stores, so it was a mostly normal day with no dip in to ketosis.

I decided to ramp it up the next morning with a harder ~one hour ride and, by the afternoon, I was feeling somewhat fatigued but my ketone levels finally elevated.

Day three, yesterday, was the worst - mild fatigue, like I'd ridden a century in the morning, food and planning future meals occupied a lot of my thoughts, and I had a slight mental fogginess. Taking my family to a favorite pizza place/Italian market for lunch was a big time test of my will. Breaking my fast was an internal debate - I wasn't exactly having fun but, at the same time, I expected those lows and didn't want to quit before bouncing back to feeling somewhat normal, which was expected based upon what I'd read.

Today, I woke up feeling pretty damn normal - spirits were good, mental clarity was good and, while not feeling like a world-beater, I felt physically good. Went for a spirited ride, though I couldn't quite push as long or as hard as normal. The hunger pangs, that typically occur around meal times, were mild and brief this morning. Food has not been a siren song.

I think that I'll keep the fast at least through the day, but I may go in to the weekend, if it continues to be as easy as it has been so far today.

Oh, I've also been monitoring my weight and body composition. No loss in lean mass but fat mass and total mass is down. As of this morning, I'm the weight of an average American woman (I came in a hair under 170lbs).
Yet another reason I'm happy to be married and not in the dating world.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-04-22, 08:43 AM
Mojo31
-------

I don't even like squishy, rubbery textures, so the fatty stuff and cartilage that's commonplace in some cultures is a turnoff for me. No eyeballs, or anything like that, and internal organs still give me pause.
I can't eat fatty stuff, and certainly not organ dishes. I had a taste of a calf brain sandwich as a yute, and puked. Parents made us eat liver as kids, and that's one thing I'll never forgive them for doing. I love a good filet, but won't touch a ribeye for the most part.

I'd rather eat Fruit Loops than the "exotic" stuff.
Old 08-04-22, 08:46 AM
Mojo31
-------

Speaking of Fruit Loops, my mom and two sisters are coming to town tomorrow for the weekend and staying with us. I'm prepping a fajita dinner tomorrow, so tonight I'm making Tres Leches that will be topped with strawberries to go with the dinner. I've never done that dessert before, but I'm looking forward to the 5 pound weight gain it will provide!

Screw fasting!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-04-22, 09:06 AM
WhyFi

Speaking of Fruit Loops, my mom and two sisters are coming to town tomorrow for the weekend and staying with us. I'm prepping a fajita dinner tomorrow, so tonight I'm making Tres Leches that will be topped with strawberries to go with the dinner. I've never done that dessert before, but I'm looking forward to the 5 pound weight gain it will provide!

Screw fasting!
I love torta de tres leches. Hell, I find that I like Hispanic treats/junk food in general. Something about it being international makes it more worldly and less garbage, or so I tell myself.
Old 08-04-22, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
You are an inspiration, Indy. One of these days, I'll do a hotel tour here. They're so cheap, and camping isn't a thing here.
Thanks, but it seems to be getting harder every year as I age. I did a variation of this trip in 2014. Did it in 9 days with longer mileage days and no rest day. Included two days over 70 miles. This version is planned for 11 days including the rest day, and I believe it has less climbing. Longest day (the last one) should be around 65, with a good portion of that being relatively tame hill-wise.
Old 08-04-22, 09:15 AM
indyfabz

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-04-22, 09:35 AM
Mojo31
-------

I love torta de tres leches. Hell, I find that I like Hispanic treats/junk food in general. Something about it being international makes it more worldly and less garbage, or so I tell myself.
As you might imagine, Mexican food is a staple around here. I'd bet 50% of our meals fall into that category. We have a number of little mom and pop restaurants around us that serve some really good dishes. There are two where I can't even speak to the employees because I'm not fluent in Spanish, and I just have to point.

We typically save desserts for special occasion meals. At home, our desserts are typically some fruit or a bite of dark chocolate.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-04-22, 09:53 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8726 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Took the plunge and reserved a one-way rental to Vienna, OH for a cross-PA tour starting a few days after Labor Day. I am worried about having the legs even though there are no long days planned, and there is a rest day at a state park after Day 5. I can always cancel with a $50 fee. Backup plan is something around the Delmarva Peninsula starting from home. Expecting the maps for the new ACA route down there in a couple of days.
if you do the ride from Vienna, OH I would like to see the day 1 route. I grew up around there and rode tens of thousands of miles in the vicinity.
Old 08-04-22, 10:00 AM
big john

We love seafood and Mexican style fare so when we discovered a Mexican seafood restaurant we started going there quite often. Prices were low but the food was amazing. For a while the wait staff treated us like the Gringos that we are. "Sir, I have to warn you the Camarones ala Diabla are very hot". Bring it. It was delicious, not too hot.
One time he warned Mrs John, "Ma'am, this fish has a head on it". She was fine with that, she had whole fish before.
They sold out and the prices went up, no problem. Then the chef quit and all the flavor went away. Sad.
Old 08-04-22, 10:03 AM
WhyFi

We love seafood and Mexican style fare so when we discovered a Mexican seafood restaurant we started going there quite often. Prices were low but the food was amazing. For a while the wait staff treated us like the Gringos that we are. "Sir, I have to warn you the Camarones ala Diabla are very hot". Bring it. It was delicious, not too hot.
One time he warned Mrs John, "Ma'am, this fish has a head on it". She was fine with that, she had whole fish before.

Then the chef quit and all the flavor went away. Sad.
Old 08-04-22, 10:07 AM
big john

My 10 years younger than me riding friend thinks I should be able to build back to the rides I did in the past. Today he found an old e-mail where I was asking people to join on a big climbing ride, so he sent it to me. Prick.

The route is up Hwy 39, 5000 feet in the first 25 miles. Here is his ex wife waiting for me some years ago.
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.